Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
http://velonews.com/race/int/articles/11603.0.html

On the road again - Hamilton set to ride Tuesday
By Andrew Hood
VeloNews European correspondent
This report filed February 5, 2007

Tyler Hamilton will likely race on European roads Tuesday for the first time since serving a two-year racing ban in what's sure to be an emotional comeback after one of the most contentious doping cases in cycling history.

Hamilton made his last appearance as a pro in the 2004 Vuelta.

photo: Agence France Presse
Hamilton (Tinkoff Credit Systems) is expected to start Tuesday's Grand Prix de La Marseillaise and then line up for his first European stage race since 2004 in the five-day Etoile de Bessèges on Wednesday.

Hamilton, 35, is named on start lists for both French races that will mark his first European-level competition since the 2004 Vuelta a España when he pulled out after Stage 12 complaining of stomach problems.

It was later revealed that blood tests taken after his time trial stage victory in Stage 8 showed evidence of homologous blood transfusions and the presence of foreign blood cells within his system.

Sadly, Hamilton's last day as a pro serves as a painful reminder of just what the sport has suffered through in recent years. That day's stage was won by Roberto Heras (stripped of the 2005 Vuelta title and suspended for EPO), who knocked Floyd Landis (facing the loss of the 2006 Tour de France title on a testosterone charge) out of the leader's jersey. Finishing second that day was Santiago Perez (suspended for blood doping), who finished ahead of third-placed Francisco Mancebo (named in Operación Puerto and ejected from the 2006 Tour).

Hamilton mounted a vigorous defense and maintained his innocence throughout a lengthy hearing and appeal process. Hamilton questioned the validity of the flow cytometry test as well as suggested concealment of documents and inconsistencies in testing protocol.

In February last year, the Court for Arbitration in Sport upheld a two-year racing ban that ended September 23.

Hamilton was later linked to the Operación Puerto investigation in Spain last May. The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has taken no action since it received last fall police documents forwarded by the UCI allegedly outlining Hamilton's link to controversial doctor Eufemiano Fuentes. At the time, UCI officials had threatened a lifetime ban if clear evidence of organized doping could be demonstrated.

Throughout the legal battle, Hamilton continued to train and maintain an intense workout schedule and is reportedly in very good condition.

The ProTour's Ethics Code precluded him from rejoining one of the elite 20 pro teams. Instead, he finalized a deal to join the Tinkoff Credit Systems continental team in November, opening the door for his return to competition this season.

Hamilton and his new Russian teammates will be keen to make a strong impression in the coming weeks with the hopes of earning a wild-card berth for the 2007 Giro d'Italia (May 12-June 3).

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I saw this the other day and couldn't help but think his coming back is crappy. Sure, he served his sentence and all, I just want him to have admitted to something though. Oh well.

On a side note: The Tour of CA is going to have some air time on Versus!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I saw this the other day and couldn't help but think his coming back is crappy. Sure, he served his sentence and all, I just want him to have admitted to something though. Oh well.

On a side note: The Tour of CA is going to have some air time on Versus!
Not that I want to start a long discussion about whether Tyler is innocent, one thing to consider now that he has served his suspension is comparing him to David Millar, who admitted EPO use before going on his 2 year suspension.

Millar was welcome back with open arms, and is highlighted in Scott's advertising campaign.

Tyler has always denied doping, and is lucky to be on a team.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Not that I want to start a long discussion about whether Tyler is innocent, one thing to consider now that he has served his suspension is comparing him to David Millar, who admitted EPO use before going on his 2 year suspension.

Millar was welcome back with open arms, and is highlighted in Scott's advertising campaign.

Tyler has always denied doping, and is lucky to be on a team.
Yep, that's what I'm saying.

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
Doping aside - he's was (and yet may still be) one heck of a courageous racer. I hope to see him racing this year.