Quantcast

well that was fun (aka biathlon training)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
or....merging car + pot hole + no tube = jog home pushing bike.

decided to do a quick spin after work before dinner, figured i'd be out for 30-45 min just to see how the bike felt. about 15 minutes into it, i'm flying down the road at a good clip when a car pulls out (actually, it was a large SUV), and i'm faced w/ a large pothole in front of me...it's the kind where the road epidermis has been ripped off, like a 10 sq ft layer missing. didn't think to unweight the rear tire in time, and i hear instant HISSSSSS....cool! no pump, no tube, no phone! i go to some guy's house, call my wife on both land and mobile, and get no answer. leave a message and start my running portion of tonight's exercise.

hint: running in mtb shoes sucks. i run probably 30 min before the wife swings by, about a half mile from home.

note to self: get some spare tubes.

:mumble: :mumble:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
... or figure out how to bunnyhop your road bike better :D

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I can relate... I was out this past Sat. and got a flat about 15 miles in to a 16 mile ride. Changed my rear tube, rode about 4 feet and *pop* the spare tube blew. :mumble: Guess I need to check the inside of my tires better before I put in new tubes... :o: One mile walk to my inlaws house in road shoes. :dead:

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Sorry to hear- reminds me of the day I commuted to work, 48 miles round trip. I had three tubes and four flats on that ride. I hiked the bike four miles to the baby sitter's house and to call home (forgot the cell phone that day). Forntunately it was only 103 out.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
so far so good! i did a commute on it today and it felt great. still need to dial in the shifting (rewire my brain to use the up or down shifting as second nature; mechanically everything's fine), and i look forward to the short but steep hill climb on the ride home.

edit - how often do people flat on a road bike? and what sort of pump do you carry, or do you use CO2? i've been lucky in that i've not flatted my mtb bike all year.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
narlus said:
so far so good! i did a commute on it today and it felt great. still need to dial in the shifting (rewire my brain to use the up or down shifting as second nature; mechanically everything's fine), and i look forward to the short but steep hill climb on the ride home.

edit - how often do people flat on a road bike? and what sort of pump do you carry, or do you use CO2? i've been lucky in that i've not flatted my mtb bike all year.
I'm knocking on a ton of wood right now.....

I haven't flatted on the road in over 2 years. I quit carrying a pump and just carry CO2. I also carry a presta adapter in case I need to fill up at the gas station.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The bike has a pump peg for a reason! Make use of it by buying a nice blackburn frame pump. Throw a set of tire levers and 2 tubes in a seat bag, and ride worry free!

BTW, at your weight your tires will perform best with about 90psi. Don't try to get all fancy and pump them up rock hard...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
It could have been worse.
You could have sprung for a set of road shoes with a big old set of Look cleats. Then you would have wobbled all the way home looking a baby Giraffe. I know from experience.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
narlus said:
you mean the 'xc rider/clipless pedal' technique? yank on the bar and pull w/ yr feet? :D

yeah, i'd not considered that...
no, it's also possible to do a legit bunnyhop on a road bike, front first, etc...