Quantcast

Went to Kirkwood, How do I clean the brake?

alteregopo

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
Hi all,

I went to Kirkwood on Saturday 8/5, it was not too bad.
There are two lifts open, but the lifts are slower than Northstar's.
However there are not as many people in Kirkwood so it evens out.
The trails are not as technical as Northstar, but the view is great.
They had a wine and beer tasting for $10 so we had a little.
After all, I have no complained as the lift ticket is only $20.

Now my question comes...
I took my 05 Faith 2 to the mountain and there was dust everywhere
(of course) so my brake is now making weird noise and the brake
is not as strong as before. How do I clean the brake?

Thanks,
Po

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
Hey, I have heard of people using rubing alchohol to clean the disc, I think that some bike shops carry brake cleaners as well. Auto shops have brake cleaner for car although i don't know if you can use it on your bike (???).

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
i take the brake pads out and the rotor off [dont have to] and clean every thing with rubbing alcohol then resemble and, ride down like a big paved hill, and hold the brakes to get every thing re-broke-in.

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
use rubbing alcohol to clean the brake. you dont want ot put brake oil on it and the alcohol only takes off what you dont want

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
Did they change the kirkwood trails for this year. I know everyone says they suck. A guy at the bike shop a while back told me about the resort opening up and he was acting like this was their first year, or like they had just changed something.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
mtnbrider said:
If the trails are not tech, they could be smooth/curvy/flowy? I want more info too (specifics, not just suck)

Pretty much standard XC stuff from what I have heard

alteregopo

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
specializedride said:
i take the brake pads out and the rotor off [dont have to] and clean every thing with rubbing alcohol then resemble and, ride down like a big paved hill, and hold the brakes to get every thing re-broke-in.
i have never taken off the pads before
know where i can find information on how to disassemble everything?

also, can i just spray the brake cleaner without disassembling everything?

Thanks,
Po

alteregopo

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
i wont say kirkwood trails suck, its just more cross country than downhill. i say that because there isnt much jumps or tech stuffs.
the trails are just narrow with gravel and rocks. if you are looking for hardcore jumps and tech stuffs then kirkwood wont be for you. however if you enjoy going downhill on rocks and gravel, kirkwood is a decent resort.

alteregopo

Chimp
Aug 2, 2006
mtnbrider said:
What brakes are they? The hayes brake pads have tabs so that you can pull them (to the oposite pad) and down to remove them.
i have hayes nine hd.
so i can just pull them toward each other then down to remove them?

does rubbing alcohol works better than brake cleaner or just cheaper?

thanks,
Po

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have those brakes on my bullit (maybe not HD). Rubbing alcohol works good.

I think I heard that brake cleaner is bad for mtb brakes.

LokiLopez

Monkey
Sep 7, 2005
London
alteregopo said:
i have never taken off the pads before
know where i can find information on how to disassemble everything?

also, can i just spray the brake cleaner without disassembling everything?

Thanks,
Po
I wouldn't spray all over the thing if they are hydraulic. I only do it on my mechanical disk brakes.

Usually hydraulic disk brakes have rubber internals and the brake cleaners usually say DON'T spray on rubber. :cool:

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
i use rubbing alcohol beacuse it is cheap and will not melt the internals/your skin. just take the pads off and leave the rotor on. wipe down with it [i use the 90%, but anything between 70-90% will do] let sit for 10 sec and wipe till clean.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
Just pour rubbing alcohol all over the caliper and rub the rotors with a clean towel and alcohol. It will clean normal stuff. I haven't heard of dirt messing with performance though. It should just rub off with the friction.