Quantcast

Went to Plattekill opening weekend today.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
And it was great! :thumb:

The trails were not to muddy, some had some leaves on them, but they were getting cleaned out by workers and as the trails got ridden. Great riding, but i got dominated by that really hard section with 3 drops and super steep and slick.

I need to get body armor, leg pads just dont cut it. ;)

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
definatly a sick weekend
so foggy on saturday it was like riding in a cloud down 75% of the mountain

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
nh dude said:
definatly a sick weekend
so foggy on saturday it was like riding in a cloud down 75% of the mountain
What bike were you one? I was on the ghetto painted flat black giant with a shivver and a red helmet... and my friend with a AC1.

God there were allot of BMW bikes there, i felt bad for the lift attendant. His back must be sore.

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Haha, yeah when I rode my AC there I got to the lift behind a TMX and the guy was like "Oh, thank GOD a light bike".
It was funneh.
Glad to hear you had a good time. I'm anxious to make the trip down and do some riding.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Thats because you threw your bike down the hill, tom.

Did you get that big rotar on yet?

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
i was there on saturday on a silver sgs with boxxer wc and a THE fender. i was riding with a kid with a black gemini and the guys with the m3's. it was sooo good to get back riding dh even though the weather sucked.

did anyone see the guy whos bike fell off the lift? i guess it got ****ed up. bent whitebrothers fork and bars.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
mack said:
God there were allot of BMW bikes there, i felt bad for the lift attendant. His back must be sore.
Those seem to be the only ones that make it back season after season after season... :sneaky:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
mack said:
What bike were you one? I was on the ghetto painted flat black giant with a shivver and a red helmet... and my friend with a AC1.

i got the 05 version of your bike,think i saw you guys go by
they got a couple newbie lift guys

sat was nuts riding in the fog and then the rain for an hour till i got really cold.pkill rules makes me want a season pass. rode a couple sections of old race courses made it down the collegiate section from a few years back
that looks nastier than it is good weekend

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
made it down the collegiate section from a few years back....

There are some awesome trails on the "old" side, that people
either are too lazy to pedal to, or don't know about!
Are there any new stunts this year?

renegade999

Monkey
Jan 6, 2005
mack said:
It might as well be on mars! The place is in the middle of nowhere. It took me 3 hours to get home.
You make it sound like 3 hrs is a long time. I used to drive 14 hrs straight with no rest to get to Xmas classic and BMX Nats.

Just a litte reminder, mountain biking takes place in the mountains.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
dfinn said:
are they open during the week yet? if not do any of you guys know when they will be?
I doubt they will run the lift on weekdays. Hell, I've been there some weekends with only about 10-20 people so i doubt they would make enough $$$ to cover costs.

menachite

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
The All American Valley
We were there yesterday, pedalled across to the double lift a few times and came down the "old" side. Two of my friends flowed down and dropped "Big Ten" with not even batting an eye. Talk about a good start to the season.

Is it me or is the wall getting bigger?

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
OrthoPT said:
Those seem to be the only ones that make it back season after season after season... :sneaky:
Indeed. And the lifties always seem happy to see me and my beautiful fun bike so we keep coming back for more.

Awesome weekend. Can't wait for next. And every one after that until November. :)

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
nh dude said:
i got the 05 version of your bike,think i saw you guys go by
they got a couple newbie lift guys

sat was nuts riding in the fog and then the rain for an hour till i got really cold.pkill rules makes me want a season pass. rode a couple sections of old race courses made it down the collegiate section from a few years back
that looks nastier than it is good weekend
Where you the guy with the really nice subaru?

Where is this 10 ft drop? I saw a big rock drop while walking down the hill from a burped tire. I am thinking about going back up there again this weekend, it was too much fun. Only problem is i cannot drive alone yet, so my dad had to come. :think:

phil

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
konahucker43 said:
i was there on saturday on a silver sgs with boxxer wc and a THE fender. i was riding with a kid with a black gemini and the guys with the m3's. it was sooo good to get back riding dh even though the weather sucked.

did anyone see the guy whos bike fell off the lift? i guess it got ****ed up. bent whitebrothers fork and bars.
that was my bike an 05 adr cycles kaos,with an 04 white brothers 1.8, and let me tell you it got real quite while my bike was falling,lazlo is going to take care of it .he gave me a jr.t to use for the rest of the day and my sponser (adr cycles ) and lazlo will work out the details.both legs on the fork were bent realy bad,everthing else was fine after 2hrs of down time talking to lazlo and swaping out the forks i was back on the trail.i gues that's what happens when you have new people that are not trained properly.

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
that's what happens when you have new people that are not trained properly.

Wow; every lift-riders bad dream come true. Aside from falling off yourself.
I always get a kick out of some of the help there.......
:drool:

phil

Monkey
Jun 15, 2002
yea the lift guy felt realy bad,lazlo lit into him alittle not bad just enough to get the point across that the bikes need to be on the lift even if he has to slow the lift down.i kinda felt sorry for the dude it was his first day loading bikes.i am not as pissed off as i thought i was going to be dont get me wrong i am pissed but not as pissed as i thought.i know that lazlo is going to take care of it.my sponser already got him a sweet deal on a new fork,(very sweet deal).

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Some ones bike fell off on Sunday after about going 2 feet. The lift guy was slowing down the lift allot on Sunday. I think im gunna go back there this weekend.

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
phil said:
that was my bike an 05 adr cycles kaos,with an 04 white brothers 1.8, and let me tell you it got real quite while my bike was falling,lazlo is going to take care of it .he gave me a jr.t to use for the rest of the day and my sponser (adr cycles ) and lazlo will work out the details.both legs on the fork were bent realy bad,everthing else was fine after 2hrs of down time talking to lazlo and swaping out the forks i was back on the trail.i gues that's what happens when you have new people that are not trained
properly.
yah i was right above it when i saw it and since it was a silver bike kinda like my sgs my heart sank. then i realized it wasnt mine which was a relieve. that still sucks thou. good to here he took care of you

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
bizutch said:
I rode Plattekill one time! It is fantastic...you guys are so lucky to be within driving distance of it!
Suck it up Butch. I drove up from CH twice last year, once leaving at 9pm and the other time at midnight, and it's definitely worth it. Although every time I do it I start having fantasies about chartered helicopters. Isn't there a small plane landing strip at the golf course in "town"?

I'll probably do a double header w/ Pkill and Mtn Creek when there's a 3 day weekend and you're welcome to car pool up w/ us if you ever come down out of the mountains.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
meatboot said:
Suck it up Butch. I drove up from CH twice last year, once leaving at 9pm and the other time at midnight, and it's definitely worth it. Although every time I do it I start having fantasies about chartered helicopters. Isn't there a small plane landing strip at the golf course in "town"?

I'll probably do a double header w/ Pkill and Mtn Creek when there's a 3 day weekend and you're welcome to car pool up w/ us if you ever come down out of the mountains.
we mountain elves do not mingle blood with ye flatland trolls....

but seriously...I think Plattekill usually opens during the week between Snowshoe and Mt. Snow...if anybody has a set of rims that can handle Snowshoe, Plattekill and Mt Snow all in 10 days...I highly reccomend it.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
phil said:
yea the lift guy felt realy bad,lazlo lit into him alittle not bad just enough to get the point across that the bikes need to be on the lift even if he has to slow the lift down.i kinda felt sorry for the dude it was his first day loading bikes.i am not as pissed off as i thought i was going to be dont get me wrong i am pissed but not as pissed as i thought.i know that lazlo is going to take care of it.my sponser already got him a sweet deal on a new fork,(very sweet deal).
mine fell at the top as it was about to round the bull wheel. it was the first time i've had a bike drop at pkill in 7 years. the swing-to-dive bomb happened in slow motion. i felt the blood rush to my head, tears welling in my eyes, i felt faint. the liftie was immediately apologetic. it was obvious he was giving it his all before it happened. i may have unloaded at a bad time which probably caused the liftie to have to deal with a swinging chair in addition to the micro moment he has to unhook the bike. i was glad he didn't injure himself in the process. the bike is fine, i worried about the headtube because of how it landed. but it seems to be okay and the fork seems a-okay too. i'm not sure how, it landed hard and bounced.

those lifties make nearly no money. get no proper training. the unload up top could be so much better designed to give them a longer window of time to get the bike unhooked. the lifties also don't get proper break time and they've got to endure the wrath of laz. sometimes we'll give them a tip at the end of a long day. i'd do it all the time if i had that kinda dough.

i can't wait til saturday.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
bizutch said:
if anybody has a set of rims that can handle Snowshoe, Plattekill and Mt Snow all in 10 days...I highly reccomend it.

These tend to hold up just fine :cool: Go to hell all you mag 30 fans. :p