Quantcast

Went to the shop today....Grrr

Mastamind

Chimp
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Went to one of my local shops to pose them the same question about my rear tire as I posed in the mechanics forum here. Don't know if it was because I am a girl or what but the first guy I talked to was nice, but didn't know anything about mountain bikes (he told me that) so he got the mechanic from the back, and the guy seemed totally disinterested. He mumbled something, not even looking at me, I couldn't even hear what he was saying. Although when mentioning about bringing the bike in, I was able to hear loud and clear. I mentioned that I just got back into biking, so any suggestions would be appriciated, but again, nothing. He totally acted like he didn't want to be answering my questions.

Needless to say, I guess I will be going to the shop up the street to see how they react. Experiences like this make me even more interested in learning how to make changes to the components of my bike.

Any of you pittsburghers...what shop do you use?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Mastamind said:
Went to one of my local shops to pose them the same question about my rear tire as I posed in the mechanics forum here. Don't know if it was because I am a girl or what but the first guy I talked to was nice, but didn't know anything about mountain bikes (he told me that) so he got the mechanic from the back, and the guy seemed totally disinterested. He mumbled something, not even looking at me, I couldn't even hear what he was saying. Although when mentioning about bringing the bike in, I was able to hear loud and clear. I mentioned that I just got back into biking, so any suggestions would be appriciated, but again, nothing. He totally acted like he didn't want to be answering my questions.

Needless to say, I guess I will be going to the shop up the street to see how they react. Experiences like this make me even more interested in learning how to make changes to the components of my bike.

Any of you pittsburghers...what shop do you use?
Sorry to hear that. A lot of mechanics are stumblebums, which is why they are sentenced to the mechanics area.

As for not knowing about mountain bikes, that is ridiculous. While he may not be an expert, all he has to do is listen and read a few magainzes to at least be able to help a beginner.

Or ride dirt once in a while...

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'm surprised he just didn't sell you some crusty shop tire that's been in there for ages and be done with you! j/k

But that aside even at my local shops I find that there's a few that know their MTB stuff, and there's alot that sorta "stumble" when helping you. I figure hey, they work at the shop not me but I try to provide them with everything about what I am looking for or need. I've had them look at me funny when I said I wanted a shifter cable and cable ferrules. They didn't know until I showed them what they were.

Depending on what the problem is fixing it yourself is always a chance to not only learn how to repair a bicycle (it's not rocket science) but you have the satisfaction of doing it yourself. It's always a plus too when you can make the trail side repair and keep going rather than when something breaks your day is ruined.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I looked over your tire tread question (and I will post an answer), and I have to say without a doubt, the people on Ridemonkey are more knowledgeable than the average shop person.

Mastamind

Chimp
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the encouragement. In the short time i've been here I will say that ridemoney people are def. more knowledgeable, I just hate to overbear with questions.

I still have one more shop to visit. That said I like to look to see what the sho carries, simply because I can look and touch, than maybe once I get a feel for what I like, order on-line.

4ftBiker

Chimp
May 5, 2006
the best place would be Bike Line in Greensburgh or Bike Tech In monroeville or is it plum i dunno but try em...just dont get suckard into buying **** at bike tech cause i once went in fer a dirt hairy brake lever and the guy was like Do u want sum intertubes, you want new handel bars..ect

Mastamind

Chimp
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
4ftbiker...I will have to check out Bike Line. unfortunately biketek is the place I was talking about...I went to their Sq. Hill location, since that is where I live. So i'm a little skeptical about them, guess i'm not going to know unless I try.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
i'm 15 and worked in a LBS and i refuse to go there, escpeically after a bad "falling out" but i worked in the mechanic area and sold a few bikes..if you want to learn, ask if you can watch as they do your repair since you are "curious" a lot of mechanics are interested with that, and some hate it, but whatever, watch no matter what..ask around here and other places and you will find the answers to everything..most members here do know a lot more compared to the average mechanics.most LBS mostly just put bikes together from the box and change a few tires..the place i worked the 2 owners and 1 mechanic could do the tech stuff..but still, its rediculous how muchthey rip you off..

here's a story about how bad LBS can be, but there are other ones which are amazing..
this one kid, 12 years old wanted to buy a bike he could go jumping on and ride around, just like any kid..you know, he didn't want pegs he didn't want street tires...so my boss showed him a bike w/ street tires and pegs..the dad said, hey what do you ride..i say nothing from here besides a freeride bike..he goes oh, wow..and he goes, for what my son wants, what would you get..i say what does he want...and i say oh, well this is a nice on in your price range which sounds perfect..its lighter, tires, and everythign you want, and it will fit him better..my boss flipped that i sold a bike 50 bucks cheaper..so i quit bc his shop is a ****ing ****hole..the only reason i worked there is to learn better with bike repairs and know what really happens on the inside of a bad LBS..