Quantcast

West Coast Racing Quesiton....and try to be nice....

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
Are the majority of the "monkeys" on the East Coast on the DH forum?

It seems that there is a lot of hype/response/stickys/etc for East coast racing, (which I think is great, don't get me wrong), but it also seems a bit "one-coasted"?

I am one of the promoters for the NW Cup, which by measure of attendance and rider profile seems just as significant, but little interest on the forums. I think the same could be said about the Mountain States Cup, which is a pretty sweet series as well.

So the question would be; is it (again)that most readers are from the east coast, or that there aren't enough events out here to warrant a "sticky" or that we do a good enough job at plugging our events through other outlets that people don't have many questions?

Our commitment is to have a successful series (which has been met) and to get people psyched about riding/racing and I don't know if that's being accomplished through the Monk?

Your thoughts.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Are the majority of the "monkeys" on the East Coast on the DH forum?

It seems that there is a lot of hype/response/stickys/etc for East coast racing, (which I think is great, don't get me wrong), but it also seems a bit "one-coasted"?

I am one of the promoters for the NW Cup, which by measure of attendance and rider profile seems just as significant, but little interest on the forums. I think the same could be said about the Mountain States Cup, which is a pretty sweet series as well.

So the question would be; is it (again)that most readers are from the east coast, or that there aren't enough events out here to warrant a "sticky" or that we do a good enough job at plugging our events through other outlets that people don't have many questions?

Our commitment is to have a successful series (which has been met) and to get people psyched about riding/racing and I don't know if that's being accomplished through the Monk?

Your thoughts.
There are a ton more lifts open to bikes in the East. The GES has 6 scheduled races, ESC has 14, then there's the WC at windham, WC's up at MSA, the US Open was something of a draw even if the host was less than ideal (the person, not the mountain). Events like the Reading race, WF 5k DH - theres some good variety and distribution!

Im not familiar with the West scene except to note less lifts (more, bigger mountains, sure...)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
if you want a thread with a west coast race schedule, stop complaining about there not being one. start the thread, and ask for it to be stickied. it really is that simple.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
I don’t race like I used too (10 to 15 per year) but I think because there are so many races in a close proximity to each other that the riders all know each other. There is a distinct community of DH racers/riders on the east coast and I think that is the biggest reason for the "stickyness".
Having said that I have never raced out west......and wish I had (family, life, etc...).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
There are a ton more lifts open to bikes in the East. The GES has 6 scheduled races, ESC has 14, then there's the WC at windham, WC's up at MSA, the US Open was something of a draw even if the host was less than ideal (the person, not the mountain). Events like the Reading race, WF 5k DH - theres some good variety and distribution!

Im not familiar with the West scene except to note less lifts (more, bigger mountains, sure...)
its only partially because there's more. bigger reason is that there's more resorts per capita. its perfectly feasible to race basically every weekend from mid may till september and not have to drive 8-10 hours to a race more than once (if at all).

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
Yes we do have a shortage of lift access riding out here for sure. But that is changing at least in our neck of the woods. Steven's Pass Bike Park is going to be soooo sweet. It's weird how much sick riding there is in the PNW, and how little chairlifts. It's all about the shuttle truck out here.

Thanks for all the other points, and I'm sorry if I came off as "complaining" because that wasn't my intention. More curious.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
or that we do a good enough job at plugging our events through other outlets that people don't have many questions?
This. I've had to pleasure of racing 3 of your races at PA and you guys do such a good job that I guess nobody ever questions the legitimacy of any race there. The tracks are always baller, you know what the shuttle situation is beforehand, the registration is fast and easy, etc etc. All that people need to know are the dates and they will be there ready to ride.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
weather isn't a deterrent for me in the New England area either. just gotta dress warm.

this winter here was no problem outside of boston, very mild winter and less than 10 inches of snow this entire year. last year it was 2 months of xc skiing instead of riding though.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
quality not quantity.

that's right i poked the beehive. :D
True story. I hit a hornet's nest once swinging a fishing pole and got lit up by 14 white faced hornets.

Content response: I've only ridden out west once at the Deer Valley National. I miss going wide open the width of an interstate and drifting on razor blade rocks. Do not miss blowing bloody de-humidified boogers and not once seeing a single piece of shade.

Ideally, I want to ride it ALL!

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
1) It seems that RM demographics is mostly east coast, then Cali, then PNW... so you have less folks to resp/read your stuff

2) There are a lot fewer races at least here in SoCal (and NorCal to an extent), plus you would have to drive a long way to get to more than a few in a season.

3) We do have a lot better riding weather down here, more mountains in general as well. But fewer lifts, so most people have to either shuttle, or end up riding more all-mountain/freeride style downhill. There are still a TON of downhillers out here, don't get me wrong. Folks out here are just less "social" I guess. ;)

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
if you want a thread with a west coast race schedule, stop complaining about there not being one. start the thread, and ask for it to be stickied. it really is that simple.
No one "complained", seemed more like a question paired with some honest observations, to me.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
its only partially because there's more. bigger reason is that there's more resorts per capita. its perfectly feasible to race basically every weekend from mid may till september and not have to drive 8-10 hours to a race more than once (if at all).
Hmm... I dont know the distribution of resorts, but I suppose so; although there are at least 4 'resorts' within a few hours of Seattle (Crystal, Snoqualmie, Stevens, Baker) and Whistler is about 5.

I dont think any but Whistler are currently open to bikes.

Carcinogen

Chimp
May 5, 2011
Seattle
Hmm... I dont know the distribution of resorts, but I suppose so; although there are at least 4 'resorts' within a few hours of Seattle (Crystal, Snoqualmie, Stevens, Baker) and Whistler is about 5.

I dont think any but Whistler are currently open to bikes.
Stevens opened to lift riding last year.

Edit: I don't know that any are "currently" open to bikes though ;)

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Bingo. Plus the huge moto racing scene kinda draws people who are really into "RACING" away from DH I think.

1) It seems that RM demographics is mostly east coast, then Cali, then PNW... so you have less folks to resp/read your stuff

2) There are a lot fewer races at least here in SoCal (and NorCal to an extent), plus you would have to drive a long way to get to more than a few in a season.

3) We do have a lot better riding weather down here, more mountains in general as well. But fewer lifts, so most people have to either shuttle, or end up riding more all-mountain/freeride style downhill. There are still a TON of downhillers out here, don't get me wrong. Folks out here are just less "social" I guess. ;)

ods

Monkey
Feb 22, 2008
Port Angeles
Thanks man. We've got something new in store for those who have been here before, and it's sick!
This. I've had to pleasure of racing 3 of your races at PA and you guys do such a good job that I guess nobody ever questions the legitimacy of any race there. The tracks are always baller, you know what the shuttle situation is beforehand, the registration is fast and easy, etc etc. All that people need to know are the dates and they will be there ready to ride.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Wild rockies is smaller but nasty rocks and lava rock terrain, the double down ho down is a blast and more of a freeridendh race plenty of rocks step ups, drops and doubles with nasty terrain, haven't done the pa stuff but hope to this year and on course for north star.

Wc boys shuttle but mamoth is stepping up their game and n* is lift riding.
There's some big stuff here as well as nasty terrain all over the place but shuttle only.

Last edited:

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
I live in southern oregon. I'm fairly fast upper lever exper racer. For me west coast racing comes down to distance. Mt. Hood is 4 hours, northstar is 6. It's so hard to get to big races to see where I stack up. I had planned on a big race season but with gas north of 4 dollars I doubt I'll go to washinton or California to race. There are a bunch of really good possible races in Oregon but it's shuttle only and it's impossible to get an Oregon series going. We don't even have a real downhill race within 2 hours of here (spring thaw isn't a real race). It is what it is, just the nature of where I live.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
With Evan Turpen doing China Peaks MTB trails it should have some good trails. He said there will be about 14! And that is Central California.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
For me west coast racing comes down to distance.
Yup. We are fortunate in Spokane to have two lift-assisted hills inside one-and-a-half hours' drive and a good amount of local shuttle races; but everything else is a bit of a trek: Mt. Hood is almost 6 hours; Stevens Pass will be 4; Whistler is 9; PA is 7+, depending on ferry schedules. I love PA but it's a major commitment for me to get there; I have to plan on at least a four-day weekend with three nights lodging to do it right. I've had to save that for the big ones like the ProGRT because of it.

As far as being on the RM DH forum, you and other promoters have it pretty much covered on the PNW forum, Scott; so it seems that most PNW monkies hang out over there and don't venture here as much.

Maybe people in the PNW ride their bikes while people in the NE talk about it on the internet.
Ding!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
With Evan Turpen doing China Peaks MTB trails it should have some good trails. He said there will be about 14! And that is Central California.
If this is for real, that will be amazing. If other lift resorts pan out too we could have half a dozen lift places in So/Central Cal.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
If this is for real, that will be amazing. If other lift resorts pan out too we could have half a dozen lift places in So/Central Cal.
That would be nice. I moved to SoCal from Connecticut about 1.5 years ago and never use my DH bike now. Few days off, no good friends that ride and the shortage of lift-serviced mountains means it gathers dust at the moment. I've always ridden more XC and road, but used to ride DH a lot too when it was more convenient.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Yeah I have spoken on the phone with him a few times. I was supposed to go out and shoot some images of him and a few others riding. He said that a few of the trails are pretty CHUNKY. He is in charge of the MTB park there!