Quantcast

West Virginia National

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Yo guys,

This will be my 1st time to ever come to Snowshoe and I just happen to be going for the National race. I was wondering, does anyone know where I can find pics of the sport course so I have an idea of what to set my bike up for and everything....

Thanks yo

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
rockymt21 said:
Yo guys,

This will be my 1st time to ever come to Snowshoe and I just happen to be going for the National race. I was wondering, does anyone know where I can find pics of the sport course so I have an idea of what to set my bike up for and everything....

Thanks yo
rocks and roots....

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I didn't ride the sport course when I was there (unless it was by accident - the signage sucks) but I can tell you that there is nothing on that mountain that could be described as "easy" or "smooth" or "flowy." Prepare to slam down a huge pile of rocks with occasional mud pits and logpiles interspersed.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
skatetokil said:
I didn't ride the sport course when I was there (unless it was by accident - the signage sucks) but I can tell you that there is nothing on that mountain that could be described as "easy" or "smooth" or "flowy." Prepare to slam down a huge pile of rocks with occasional mud pits and logpiles interspersed.

:stupid: I hardtailed it, i dont suggest that.

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Is it steep or flat? straight or lots of turns? Any drops? Pedally? Sketchy fast fireroads? Average time?

Dan

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jayridesacove said:
set your bike up for rocky stuff. bring a set of mud tires just in case.

Actually you should bring a pair of dry tires just in case.

I'm not going to say for sure, because I wasn't given permission, but the sport course should be really fun. The last section will be a freakin blast, but Snowshoe is typical east coast stuff. Muddy, rooty, rocky, and very demanding physically to keep a fast flow.

For Maxxis tires I run 2.5 DHFs front and rear, but for Michelin I'd look at the Comp 16 front and rear.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Sherpa said:
Butch, would you say Comp 16 F and Comp 24 rear will be good for the Ex course?
I'd say a Comp 24 has no business in WV. In my experience they blow in the mud.

Dos Pesos

dG video

Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Nice,

Ive got a set of Highroller's on my Chumba now, 2.7 Slow Reezay front and 2.5 Super Tacky rear, I also have a spare pair of 2.5 Super tacky Swamp things. I should be all set.

Dan

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
The sport course was marked a week ago. It is almost the same as the past 4 years. The bottom is different due to ski trail construction.

The sport course is super fast. I was over 40 mph on it last weekend even with the rain we had. The mountain even got shut down due to lightening and the sport course was still mostly dry. That's why so many people were riding it last year during expert and pro practice.

There are a ton of square edged rocks. I recomend 2.7 DHF, 2.5" DHR. Possible a 2.5" High Roller if it's dry. There are a couple of steep sections that are tricky in the mud if you are not good at keeping the tires rolling. Mud tires are of no use on the sport course. It's too fast with too many rocks.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Sherpa said:
Butch, would you say Comp 16 F and Comp 24 rear will be good for the Ex course?
I'll be happy to answer this question considering that apparently the dippy's in this thread don't seem to comprehend that the reason you asked is because you own some Michelin tires and didn't ask which Maxxis tires to run. :love:

Comp 16's at Snowshoe are pretty much the way to roll at Snowshoe. BUT...for those sport riders out there and "bashers" like me, a Comp 32 on the front does wonders to get rid of forearm pump and let the front run rather than deflect alot (assuming conditions are semi-wet) and the grip on wet mud (not gooey mud) is unreal.

At Snowshoe, it's a course where you can run a combo of 16,24,32 and DH Mud, depending on what the texture of the dirt is.

If it's sort of dry, a Comp 16 (or 32) up front and a CUT Comp 24 work great because the 24 wil turn more predictably and has AWESOME braking. If it's muddy to greasy mud, Comp 16 front and rear. If it's peanut butter, run a CUT Comp 16 and a DH MUD in the rear for maximum control. I would not recommend at any point running DH MUD front and rear at Snowshoe becuase there is so much rock under the soil surface when it's muddy that the front does nothing but deflect. ALL of the pros and Semi-Pros ran a 2.5 front tire in the worst conditions there and just trimmed out space between knobs on whatever brand tire they ran. (To see what CUT Michelins look like, type "cut Michelin" in the search engine for the detailed thread with pics)

NOTE: No 2.2 Comp 16 or Comp 24 is referenced above..all are 2.5.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
bizutch said:
I'll be happy to answer this question considering that apparently the dippy's in this thread don't seem to comprehend that the reason you asked is because you own some Michelin tires and didn't ask which Maxxis tires to run. :love:
Time to wake up. The original poster has Maxxis tires. Read again :nuts:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
One other thing. Right at the end of the course is a short but steep little climb that robs you of all of your speed. Then there is a short sprint to the finish. You may want a smaller chain ring. I am running a 38T and that seems to work pretty good.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Yo Dennis...
So are they running Sweet Dreams as the lower section of the sport course? Those flat track turns will be sketch at speed...but hopefully it stays dry. I'll probably be camping at Silver Creek...see you guys there!

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
The new sport course has some stuff cut out. The trail is real straight and and fast. Be ready to go fast on long straight aways with tons of rocks. It'll then open into sweet dreams which has huge flat track turns so have some good cornering tires to rail it. and just pin'r to win'r

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
HRDTLBRO said:
Yo Dennis...
So are they running Sweet Dreams as the lower section of the sport course? Those flat track turns will be sketch at speed...but hopefully it stays dry. I'll probably be camping at Silver Creek...see you guys there!
yessir

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
bizutch said:

Comp 16's at Snowshoe are pretty much the way to roll at Snowshoe. BUT...for those sport riders out there and "bashers" like me, a Comp 32 on the front does wonders to get rid of forearm pump and let the front run rather than deflect alot (assuming conditions are semi-wet) and the grip on wet mud (not gooey mud) is unreal.

At Snowshoe, it's a course where you can run a combo of 16,24,32 and DH Mud, depending on what the texture of the dirt is.

If it's sort of dry, a Comp 16 (or 32) up front and a CUT Comp 24 work great because the 24 wil turn more predictably and has AWESOME braking. If it's muddy to greasy mud, Comp 16 front and rear. If it's peanut butter, run a CUT Comp 16 and a DH MUD in the rear for maximum control. I would not recommend at any point running DH MUD front and rear at Snowshoe becuase there is so much rock under the soil surface when it's muddy that the front does nothing but deflect. ALL of the pros and Semi-Pros ran a 2.5 front tire in the worst conditions there and just trimmed out space between knobs on whatever brand tire they ran. (To see what CUT Michelins look like, type "cut Michelin" in the search engine for the detailed thread with pics)

NOTE: No 2.2 Comp 16 or Comp 24 is referenced above..all are 2.5.
Nice, I'll probably just leave my Comp 32 on then.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
ChrisKring said:
... That's why so many people were riding it last year during expert and pro practice.....
Guilty as charged! It was a blast. Not unlike the trails at Bolton. Be careful with you lines, though. The worn in lines meander through sections that you can straightline. There was only one chute. Straight and muddy, not really like what you find at PKill. I only rode it twice while my gf was practicing it. Its a blast. Use a big open tire. I'm not too picky.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
That whole section is a straight shot now and then u just crank right and go on another long long straight away

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
rockymt21 said:
Is it steep or flat? straight or lots of turns? Any drops? Pedally? Sketchy fast fireroads? Average time?

Dan
The sport course? Yes, yes and yes. I've had pretty good success running Comp 16s which roll faster than mud tires but stay hooked up in the mud.

Its a combination of fire road, off-camber, rooted turns, a rocky sidehill streambed and more open fireroad blasting. No drops to speak of, just point it downhill and hang on. Fast times last year in the mud and muck were around 5 min, fast times in the dry were closer to 4 min.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Repack said:
I think that this was the sport course lastyear. Typical of the whole thing.

Ahhh yes the "Poop Chute". That was the worst part of last years course. It'll be gone this year.

Mike

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
To all who are coming up for the Nationals keep a watchful eye and a good lock on your bike. These events seem to attract bike thieves who know the best, most expensive bikes will be there. It's different from other times of the year up there where you can leave your bike out on the porch and trust it'll be there when you return. So it's not the locals.

Mike