Quantcast

wet screams, which compound

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'm ordering some up. I don't have the hate for the ST like some people have. I've had great results with them as front tires or FRO.
Do the tall knobs of the wet scream make the ST super sketchy, or are they decent. Our mud doesn't get crazy here, but it does rain all the time.
I'm planning on getting the 2.5 as I think they would work best for our courses.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
If You just get a **** load of grease, you need 2.35, I have the same thing that goes down at my mountain, we get grease and it sucks. The small tire will cut in rather than float on top. You want that 3c soft compound stuff. For dust I would highly recommend kenda telonix, those tires in the dust are fucing amazing. But you need the smaller size.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
The biggest thing that I have noticed with the Wetscream (ST in particular) is that like many other Maxxis tires that I have run they tend to wear very fast in any kind of rocky condition especially since the knobs are so aggressive. I would reccomend the ST for a FRO tire simply because the rubber seems to do a better job when the going gets real slick. I have run a sort of compromise with a 60a in the back and a ST on the front and it seems to be doing a fine job. The 60a is a bit more 'breaklooshish' than the ST but it is hardly noticeable except in the soupiest of conditions.
I would also take a look at the Swampthing if you haven't already. For really muddy riding it is the tits especially in the 2.35 ST. I have also noticed that it is a fair sight nicer to the trails ( if you care).:bonk:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
If You just get a **** load of grease, you need 2.35, I have the same thing that goes down at my mountain, we get grease and it sucks. The small tire will cut in rather than float on top. You want that 3c soft compound stuff. For dust I would highly recommend kenda telonix, those tires in the dust are fucing amazing. But you need the smaller size.
from what little i could understand i would suggest you disregard all of the above.

buildyourown, i'm not sure what sort of standard you use to help make a decision, but i can tell you that the spike tire of choice on the WC circuit for various trail types from all out slime, normal mud, mud on rocks, grease in the wood dry in the open, and even loamy soil is the Wetscream ST 2.5 run either full length or with the knobs cut in various combinations depending on track conditions.

i've tried them in both ST and SR and found the SR's to be a little more 'squishy,' meaning the knobs don't hold thier shape as well but that's really spliting hairs to some extent. if given the choice i'd use the ST's but don't have any problem running the SR's if that's what is available.

Last edited:

b-b00gie

Chimp
Dec 1, 2003

????

Anyway........

2.5 SuperTackys will hold up fine. I still have the same pair since '03. Granted they've only seen 6 seasons with 2-3 rides each year since then, the knobs still look almost new. If you're riding in wet weather/mud, you wont be wearing them down too fast.

Last edited:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
from what little i could understand i would suggest you disregard all of the above.

buildyourown, i'm not sure what sort of standard you use to help make a decision, but i can tell you that the spike tire of choice on the WC circuit for various trail types from all out slime, normal mud, mud on rocks, grease in the wood dry in the open, and even loamy soil is the Wetscream ST 2.5 run either full length or with the knobs cut in various combinations depending on track conditions.
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I ordered the STs.
I've been running ST mobsters for years since you can get them so cheap. Some people seem to really hate ST.

ride

Monkey
Jan 11, 2005
Tyler you will not want the 60's around here, we have too much rock and root, and the 40's are too soft. Stick with the 42's they work killer. If you're ordering from CRC- get more than one set, they're so cheap right now.

Lars

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Hell yeah Tyler! 2.5" Super Tacky Wet Screams are pretty rad for most everything up here. Get a few sets for sure. You'll want to cut them down a bit. There's very little need for the nobs being that tall. Cut the center nobs at an angle for better rolling resistance. That's what I did with mine and they work great. I'll probably get a few sets this year for different conditions. I'll have each pair cut to a different height most likely.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Yep, basically exactly mirroring General Lee's comment.

2.5 ST WetScreams. Cut down center knobs at the back.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
for those of you that haven't heard, these tires will be available in the states this year. I am so glad Maxxis decided to import them so we don't have to order them from Europe.