Quantcast

wet screams

dhrace

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
what the difference between ust tires and standard tires is it the weigth and one is tubeless . looking to buy some but can only find ust ones .

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
UST is a tubeless system that is designed to work without any sealant or rimstrips. The UST system only works if you are running UST tires on UST rims. Yes you can run a UST tire on a standard rim, but you are paying for something you aren't using.
You can, and many of us do, run regular tires tubeless on regular rims with rimstrips and sealant.

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Wet srceams are 2ply anyways and many have had good resaults no tubing maxxis tires if ya got the right rim or are good at the ghetto UST conversion!

I have both 2.2 and 2.5 wetscreams super tacky awesome tires, I found the 2.5 a bit better as they are very narrow, I just found the 2.2 a bit narrow for the bigger jumps and a little squirmy, also another tire to consider in ya mud arsenal and one of the most over looked is the Maxxis Swampthing, its got a bit more volume wider spaced and bigger knobs they hold there shape well and ride exceedingly well in most conditions and still roll pretty fast not far off a a full dry, but there grip is incredible.

If your wet conditons are hard ground underneath thwe Swampy is a far better option than the wetscream! wetscream only if soft under all that goop otherwise I found they squirmed a bi too much for my liking, I guess allot depends on your terrain ours varies allot on the course top to bottom, but the swampthings are my biggest secret weapon.

823s and Maxxis 2plys stans or some goop would be a great combo!

Good luck

dhrace

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
I know there tubless just wondering if I will have any problems mounting on 729 rims . the only tires I can find are ust. I know there more money but thats all I can find for sale

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
i compared the ust and non ust 2.5 wetscreams and the ust version was like 70-80 grs lighter than the non ust

so you can save some weight there too

TA..

!
Aug 21, 2007
Bionics department
Do a seach on UST and 729s on here and MTBr there's been many that have had issues trying to UST or stans on 729rims!

If you already have them then I guess best thing is to it try for yourself, I always find its best to have your own experiences, if you don't have your rims then get the 823s its a true UST rim and you will have a better results and an easier go with tires and they build a pretty light wheel to depending on hubs etc! You will need less if any sealant no mess no extra expense on rim stips or messing with ghetto systems and more importantly if you don't have multiple wheelsets then changing tires will be allot easier and quicker!

UST in DH is often lighter esspcially with Maxxis than 2plys, wire beads, 2ply and compounds and then add tubes all add to rotational weight on top of the tire!
UST is built for support of UST applcation and uses a different bead to support and assist the seal and lower tire pressures so compared to DH 2ply often lighter, don't apply XC logic and UST with DH and UST applcations they are quite different!

Go with 823s if you can and you will have many more tire options!

729s

823s

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I think you are confusing 729s and 721s. The 721s take a little more to get them set up tubeless, the 729s are cake. The difference is in the depth of the center channel (721s are deep) and that the 729s have a micro-bead lock ridge(and more of a bead hook sidewall shape) that the 721s do not.

Either way, if you follow the instructions on Stan's site you can set up both rims tubeless and have a reliable set up. No matter what the rim is (even 823s) some sort of compressed air is a good insurance poicy to get the bead set.

I ran 729s for about four seasons and now 721 for all of last season (as well as 5.1s on the 'other than DH" bike) and never had a single problem. I have not used a tube (except the road bike) for five plus years.

Maxxis or Mich, single or double ply, tubeless or not....makes little difference, they all will work w/o tubes perfectly if you set up the conversion propperly.

The maxxis UST tires are a bit 'odd' in that they have foldable beads, wheras the exact same tire non-UST has a steel wire bead. That is why they are a bit lighter, but it does make me a bit curious about bead stretching with repeated removal/instalation.

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I don't think he is wanting to set them up as tubeless.
Just that the UST options are all he can get and was wondering if they would fit...

Yes, they fit, just a bit harder to get on. Then you need to pump them up harder to get them to 'bead', then you can deflate to your desired pressure.