Quantcast

wha, wha, what . . . is Nico really racing in 07?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I assume he's gonna pick long courses too, not short courses. He didn't make excuses when he lost a few of those..just said he had not trained for them and would need to train in that manner if that was going to be the trend.

Nico = OWNER

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
If he comes back and wins all the "hot guns" should fold their tents up and find another job.......

Ohh, and Peaty is no spring chicken.........he's like 3 years older then Nico and Nico is still 10X.......seems like Peaty started to lose a step last year.....

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Ohh, and Peaty is no spring chicken.........he's like 3 years older then Nico and Nico is still 10X.......seems like Peaty started to lose a step last year.....
and by that you mean winning rd. 3 of the world cup, finishing 2nd by .09 seconds at rd. 5, being on the podium every race but the finals, and winning the overall?

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
Consistant doesn't quite describe it.... I don't think you can knock Peat for last season, hell he wasn't dominant as far as wins went, but the win in Germany just showed how fit the guy still is. That was a power course.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
and by that you mean winning rd. 3 of the world cup, finishing 2nd by .09 seconds at rd. 5, being on the podium every race but the finals, and winning the overall?
Is just an insight from someone following the sport from a distance....:clue:

He came up small in NZ when it mattered most, at the end of the seaosn and the other prestigious rounds he was off the pace.....he did well on the pedaller courses though....

I hope he wins Ft. Bill ,he deserves it, but IMO he's showing early signs of age.....time will tell....

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Anyone else see that Nico is riding in Royal gear? Obviously it's a full 661 deal but to see Steve Peat's greatest rival riding in the kit that Peat created is surreal. It's like if Peat was riding a V-Process back in the day.

So stoked to have Nico back, gonna see can I hang with him for more then 2 corners in Champery! :nopity:

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
someone one take him to whistler and make him realise he misses mtb.... thats what made nico come back...:thumb:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
from bikemag c/o sicklines:

“Vouilloz was quick to dispel rumors that he would be competing in all the World Cup races this year, but did say he plans on competing in the World Cup race in Champéry, Switzerland, June 9-10 and in Schladming, Austria, July 7-8. If the season goes well, Vouilloz is considering the final race in Maribor, Slovenia, September 15-16.”

http://www.sicklines.com/2007/02/05/nicolas-vouilloz-returns/

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
from bikemag c/o sicklines:

“Vouilloz was quick to dispel rumors that he would be competing in all the World Cup races this year, but did say he plans on competing in the World Cup race in Champéry, Switzerland, June 9-10 and in Schladming, Austria, July 7-8. If the season goes well, Vouilloz is considering the final race in Maribor, Slovenia, September 15-16.”

http://www.sicklines.com/2007/02/05/nicolas-vouilloz-returns/

nico's such a pimp. I can't wait...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oooh I hope they actually sell his bike this time...when will the lapierre be available in the US? What a freaking deal for his sponsors...you know he'll dominate (even if he doesn't win) and everybody's going to want that....soon we'll have a lapierre tuning thread stickied on the front page.

It would be rad if palmer came back. A few years back he came out of the woodwork and came close to winning a dual race...out of nowhere.

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
Yah, sucks that he is having all this bad luck in Boarder Cross. First gets hurt before the Olympics and then gets 4th after a great start to the lead in the X Games. It is great to see that he can still be on top at his age.
Bad luck? What he is doing is freaking amazing at his age. Boardercross is no joke anymore, those guys take it seriously. He still has one of the best starts in the business but he needs to fight to keep up with the best when out on the course. That course at X games this year was tame and he had a legit shot at it, but i would be willing to bet that his tech missed the wax. Call it bad luck, but I still think it is amazing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
From what I understand he didn't miss the wax, near the finish he got caught up in the soft stuff and got bogged down.

His wax was money up top on the colder snow, but as soon as he hit warmer stuff near the finish it was all over.

Also, what Heikki said. BX is no joke anymore, those guys are as serious as a heart attack now.

dsotm

Monkey
Jul 21, 2006
WRJ, VT
From what I understand he didn't miss the wax, near the finish he got caught up in the soft stuff and got bogged down.

His wax was money up top on the colder snow, but as soon as he hit warmer stuff near the finish it was all over.

Also, what Heikki said. BX is no joke anymore, those guys are as serious as a heart attack now.
Yup, he got slightly off line and ended up in the soft stuff. Mistake took him from 1st to 4th. It was obvious watching him that he was still the best rider on the mountain. A couple of times he'd gain a couple of board lengths on someone else out of nowhere over a jump, it was ridiculous and no one else on the course was able to do something like that.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yup, he got slightly off line and ended up in the soft stuff. Mistake took him from 1st to 4th. It was obvious watching him that he was still the best rider on the mountain. A couple of times he'd gain a couple of board lengths on someone else out of nowhere over a jump, it was ridiculous and no one else on the course was able to do something like that.
The element he'd always dominated was momentum gainers. All the old X Games had a rhythm section as the first obstacle and he could put a big gap on there every time. This course was pretty much a drag strip with one high speed rhythm a 1/3 down the course.

38 and pulling gate on everybody in the finals...just silly!!:clapping:

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
The element he'd always dominated was momentum gainers. All the old X Games had a rhythm section as the first obstacle and he could put a big gap on there every time. This course was pretty much a drag strip with one high speed rhythm a 1/3 down the course.

38 and pulling gate on everybody in the finals...just silly!!:clapping:

Not really, that was kind of a TV thing. There were 5 decent size rhythm jumps before the 1st real corner. If anything I would say this course favored him because of that. And it did, he got out front and stayed there until he drifted a corner wide.

My HUGE props to Palmer that many of you did not get to see on TV. The step on step off bridge. During inspection many of us knew is was going to be possible to gap right over it. The thing was that it is huge and totally blind. During skier X practice. It took three runs until anyone tried it. Palmer is not a "skier" but as soon as others started jumping it, he went for it and he cleared it. There were plenty of some of the best skiercross racers in the world who refused to try the gap. He may have just missed qualifying for the heats, but the competition at this years winter X was stiff and seeing him go for the gap that many of the worlds best refused to hit even further emphasized my respect for the guy.