Quantcast

What a bunch of jerkoffs

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Cnn.com

Nice to see our elected representatives are working hard to fix the broken economy, get the runaway deficit under control, and keep an eye on the North Korea and Iraq situations.

How about a measure that would rename "Representative" into "Asshole"? Then the speaker of the house could call them what they really are.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
This is tradition.

We got the term "hot dog" during WWII because we didn't want to use the German term "frankfurter". "Sour Kraut" became "Freedom Cabbage".

When a country pisses us off, we stop paying them respect. Not really that big a deal.

Freedom toast does sound stupid. Sounds like something that should be really high in fiber.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ha Ha Ha!

Isnt it nice to know that even Republicans have a sense of humor?

I think its a neat gesture......one has to wonder about the salad dressing though, since its simply referreed to as "french".......perhaps we'll just name it.."Surrendur Sauce"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am no Francofile but that is just stupid. I could see private institutions doing something like that but government officials? Just not a very immature move and I can see nothing good coming from it. If they really wanted to make a statement just tear down the Statue of Liberty, or even better modify it so she is facing east, grabbing a tit and flipping the bird.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by patconnole
It just reminds me of stupid patriotic/nationalistic immaturity....

Who calls 'em "french" fries anymore either? They're just fries.
The pimply faced dork at the drive through.

"Would you like French-Fries with that sir?"

I think it's funny. A very American way of thumbing our collective noses at them.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
What I don't get is why you call chips french fries in the first place.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by D_D
What I don't get is why you call chips french fries in the first place.
So as not to give you Brits credit for inventing them. :D

Actually they were invented in Belgium, but popularized in the UK.

France had nothing to do with them other than the common size we cut them to is called in culinary parlance, "Jullianne". Which sounds kinda French and dosen't look good on a Mickey-D's menu.

Besides "chip" was already being used for things like poker chips, potato chips, and cow chips which look nothing like fries.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Damn True
So as not to give you Brits credit for inventing them. :D

Actually they were invented in Belgium, but popularized in the UK.

France had nothing to do with them other than the common size we cut them to is called in culinary parlance, "Jullianne". Which sounds kinda French and dosen't look good on a Mickey-D's menu.

Besides "chip" was already being used for things like poker chips, potato chips, and cow chips which look nothing like fries.
We could call then Julia Child Fries!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

I think it's funny. A very American way of thumbing our collective noses at them.
If by American you mean infantile, irrational, and irrelevant, I'd agree with you.

These are our elected representatives, not a middle school student council. I expect a little less buffoonery from them.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
No, by American I mean bucking convention, and having the conviction combined with a healthy sense of humor to send a big FU to another country that is avoiding doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Does it matter in the grand scheme of things, no. But it is funny and sends a distinctly sarcastic message. The humor will surely be lost on the French who think Jerry Lewis is the pinnacle of comedic talent but they will get the message. Which a thinly veiled

Attachments

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I love that pic of Cash......

I think we could take move as an indication that we are in/nearing wartime. Historically, the only time we have done such an act has been during wartime.

Let the 21 ton bomb fly!

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
I'd think it was totally funny if it was some fast food joint in the south-- or wherever. I know we joke about hating the french, but they're not the enemy-- this isn't comparable to the sour-krout, or hot-dog scenerio. Too bad there's no "saddam-food" we can change the name of. I'd be all for renaming some of that.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Oh lighten up.:rolleyes:
"I don't see how my weight has anything to do with the situation." ~ Mr. Spock

;) :D

btw, well said. No offense to anyone, but really, is it that big of a deal?

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Not only is it a stupid waste of their time (and our tax dollars) but, I do think it is a bigger deal than you guys are letting on. It just shows our government's intolerance for people who disagree with them.

Oh well, maybe they had to reschedule a free lunch with a tobacco, pharmaceutical, or gun manufacturer lobbiest to make it to the photo op.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

I will refrain from making any sort of comment re: "Freedom Fries" or any of that...

BUT

You do know who created the Statue of Liberty? I'll give you a hint: same guy who did that big metal tower in PARIS.

Nothing to see here, Citizens...

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Ranger

You do know who created the Statue of Liberty? I'll give you a hint: same guy who did that big metal tower in PARIS.
And who was the first foreign head of state to visit the US after 9/11? Chirac!

And who has worked more manual labor hours in the US-- our president, or Chirac? Chirac!

Monkey
Feb 28, 2002
Vail CO
Originally posted by brock
I do think it is a bigger deal than you guys are letting on. It just shows our government's intolerance for people who disagree with them.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by 911
Couldn't have said it better myself.
I agree, just because two governments disagree it is no reason to use propaganda to demonise an entire nation, which is pretty much what is going on when you rename French fries to Freedom fries. The implication being that the French are anti-freedom.

Oddly enough the French have a pretty good sense of personal freedom and responsibility. I like them, although they can be bastards to deal with in business, especially if you are a Brit..