Quantcast

What am I doing wrong??

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Chances are, you're holding the bar with either too wide a grip, or two narrow a grip. You want your hands to be about a foot apart. Just keep experimenting with different grips until it feels right. Also, if you are using a straight bar, try using an EZ bar. I find the EZ bar to be gentler on the wrists. And if all else fails, you can lay off the upright rows for a while and do shrugs instead. :)

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
OK, last night I used the straight bar for the first time, I usually use the EZ bar but I couldn't find it. Thanks Baboon.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Heidi
OK, last night I used the straight bar for the first time, I usually use the EZ bar but I couldn't find it. Thanks Baboon.
For another variation, try upright rows using dumbells. They are very tough to do with good form.

nite rider

Chimp
Feb 20, 2002
Medford, MA
your hand position is probably the biggest problem with your wrist hurting, however you could be pulling the bar up too high.
The bar should be pulled up to your upper chest then dropped down. I wouldn't try the dumbbells if you are having wrist problems because that may make it worse until it heals.

Also, your stance needs to be correct (feet and legs together with no daylight going through), abs in, and your back straight.
The way you stand has an effect on your whole body.

**Note for everyone (especially females)

When doing any kind of standing exercise (biceps, shoulders, tri's) your feet and legs should be together at all time!! Proper form is everything. What happens if your legs are out and feet pointed away from each other? a. you look like a lazy dumbass b. your hip flexors are being pointed out which results in you (the female) in a wide ass! no joke. do it right or don't do it at all.

heidi, see http://www.mtbmind.com/shoulders.htm for more info on how to do an upright row. I'll be putting up pictures soon! :)

Feb 21, 2002
Houston TX
a scissor like foot stance is prefered, one foot in front ,the other out back , it is much easier balancing this way, and takes a great strain off your lower back,giving you greater stabilization,

any more questions for the personal trainer?

Heidi, I know what your problem is. This bar you're pulling on isn't attached to your bike! The only bar you should be messing with is a high quality aluminum, carbon or titanium bar. It's obviously the low quality excercise bike steel that gym equipment is made out of that your body is having a reaction to.
Prolonged exposure to this inferior material could cause you to not eat or sleep correctly, thereby diminishing your productivity at work and at home. Your friends and loved ones will no doubt notice this and become concerned. They will try to help you and you will resist, and lash out at them. They may at this time try an intervention. It might be successful, but if it's already too late, you might withdraw completely, squashing any hope they have of a recovery for you. You will probably end up on the streets, begging for change, possibly playing an instrument on the sidewalk (badly) or washing car windows at an intersection. The next step from there is usually collecting cans in a vain effort to aquire enough aluminum to make up for your deficiency, but not realizing that the quality of cans is too poor to be of any help. Hopefully someone can reach you before you throw yourself out in front of a speeding bike messenger in a desperate attempt to once again reach the level of cycling spirituality you once enjoyed.

Spinners and rowing machines are not the way! They are false prophets, promising results while stealthily undermining your relationship with Bike. When Bike laid down his laws which were brought down from the mountain by his servant Ned, he commanded us to have no other contraptions before Him. He is a jealous Bike. He will rain fire and brimstone on those who set aside his laws. Heidi, Bike loves you. He wants you to reach deep into your heart and pocket book, and take His hand, uhh, I mean grip. YES! Bike says that with your contribution to Him, through me, you can be saved! He loves you so much, that for just this once, he will cut the required contribution in half! No, wait, He'll cut it in half again. Yes that right, not for 99.99. not 49.99, but for just 24.99 you can be assured of eternal salvation! Don't hesitate! Salvation is just around the corner, Hiedi. BTW, Bike takes Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Paypal and cash. Don't miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity, This offer will not be repeated (you hope anyway) and will never be sold in stores. (except Wal-Mart, starting next Thursday) state and local taxes apply, please include 4.95 shipping & handlng. Offer not valid in AR, TN, GA, AL, MO, MS and the US Virgin Islands.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by edoz
The part about reaching into your heart and your pocket book was in the background of a Queensryche song, the rest was me. I was in the car for 8 hours that day, so I was pretty insane when I got home.
Dude, you made most of that up? Talent! I went back and read it again it was so funny.:p

JOJO

Top Banana
Jun 28, 2001
Superior, CO
Originally posted by muscular_biker
a scissor like foot stance is prefered, one foot in front ,the other out back , it is much easier balancing this way, and takes a great strain off your lower back,giving you greater stabilization,

any more questions for the personal trainer?

Speaking as one Personal Trainer to another Personal Trainer I would have to Agree withe the scissor like foot stance:D Thanks for the info!

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

Your signature was actually my team name for one of the 24 Hours of Adrenalin races last year!
Your team? I thought it was our team.

;)

Sheesh, first my chain breaks, then my wife leaves me, now it's just Heidi's team. What a week. Is it Friday yet?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by El Jefe

Your team? I thought it was our team.

;)

Sheesh, first my chain breaks, then my wife leaves me, now it's just Heidi's team. What a week. Is it Friday yet?
Dude, are you serious, your wife...was it Cheryl???? left you? Was it because of your crashing? Ok, it can be your team. I just said my team for ease of simplicity.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

Dude, are you serious, your wife...was it Cheryl???? left you? Was it because of your crashing? Ok, it can be your team. I just said my team for ease of simplicity.
I know Heidi, jus givin ya some good natured ribbing. ;)

Yeah serious on the Cheryl thing. I missed Fontana to look for a new residence (not to mention recoup from a nasty cold.)

Hmmm maybe I'll have more time to ride now (actually one of the big reasons for the split)

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

I know Heidi, jus givin ya some good natured ribbing. ;)

Yeah serious on the Cheryl thing. I missed Fontana to look for a new residence (not to mention recoup from a nasty cold.)

Hmmm maybe I'll have more time to ride now (actually one of the big reasons for the split)
Wow, I can't believe I got her name right, not sure where I pulled that one from. Sorry and not sorry to hear about the split. If you riding was causing trouble then maybe it was best. Did you find a place to stay?

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

Wow, I can't believe I got her name right, not sure where I pulled that one from. Sorry and not sorry to hear about the split. If you riding was causing trouble then maybe it was best. Did you find a place to stay?
Nah, still sticking it out as a stranger in my own house, at least until I figure out for sure what's going on with that whole custody thing with our 4 year old. Probably is for the best. She hated when I was a pro runner, she loathed when I fought ju-jit-su with the Ultimate Fighting Championship guys (OK, can't blame her for that one), and she despises my bike riding. Maybe her hatred of healthy exercise is why she keeps getting fatter. hehe, she knows about Socalmtb.com, but not about RM. I can say what I want here!!!!!
:crossbone

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon

Nah, still sticking it out as a stranger in my own house, at least until I figure out for sure what's going on with that whole custody thing with our 4 year old. Probably is for the best. She hated when I was a pro runner, she loathed when I fought ju-jit-su with the Ultimate Fighting Championship guys (OK, can't blame her for that one), and she despises my bike riding. Maybe her hatred of healthy exercise is why she keeps getting fatter. hehe, she knows about Socalmtb.com, but not about RM. I can say what I want here!!!!!
:crossbone
Wow, I didn't know you were a ju-jit-su fighter. Wow, no wonder you nonchalantely crash of the side of mountain tops, bruise your ribs, gouge your elbows and just smile.:D

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal

Wow, I didn't know you were a ju-jit-su fighter. Wow, no wonder you nonchalantely crash of the side of mountain tops, bruise your ribs, gouge your elbows and just smile.:D
Yeah, after getting knocked around by some of these guys, a tree or cliff doesn't seem to be that big a deal. I fought the guy on top in each of these pics (same guy, just new tattoos). Funny enough, he lost both these fights....what a wuss.

Endo Verendo

Chimp
Mar 8, 2002
Studio City, CA

Yeah, after getting knocked around by some of these guys, a tree or cliff doesn't seem to be that big a deal. I fought the guy on top in each of these pics (same guy, just new tattoos). Funny enough, he lost both these fights....what a wuss.
I knew it. My team mates are all wacko. Hmm. What does that make me? I guess I should take a look at myself in a mirror but I'm afraid. I'm very afraid.