Quantcast

What are conditions at Wilson's ??

Feb 13, 2005
NC
Hey,

What are the current conditions of the trails near Wilson's creek? Is Raspberry in good shape? Hadley's? GT? Raider's? Beehive? Stinkhole? BM #9?

TIA

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Wilson's is closed...jk everything is running good but maybe don't post trail names next time. Not trying to be a dick just saying mtn biking isn't 100% legit in our neck of the woods.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
If the trail isn't on the Nat Geo Grandfather Ranger District Map and colored blue or listed as open to bikes on the map then don't talk about it. Simple as that. It's all we ask of people riding our local trails.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Haha Butch...true! However, I believe the amount of time that I and several others have put into the local trails and riding scene in The High Country over the past nearly 6 years is more than enough to refer to it as "our local." :D
Reading between the lines, eh. :D
Nah, I was literally trying to remember where you're from. I never remember Winston, Greensboro, Charlotte? It's all the same to me. Hot, flat cities.:)

wilson's

Chimp
May 17, 2010
Wilson's is closed...jk everything is running good but maybe don't post trail names next time. Not trying to be a dick just saying mtn biking isn't 100% legit in our neck of the woods.
You are the first one to show anybody and everybody all the illegal trails you can and then tell them not to mention the names of the trails:rant: What a double standard you have! Canyon's was not shut down because we mentioned it by name:weee: I guess it ok to ride illegal trails....Don't ask don't tell -BS:wtf:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
You are the first one to show anybody and everybody all the illegal trails you can and then tell them not to mention the names of the trails:rant: What a double standard you have! Canyon's was not shut down because we mentioned it by name:weee: I guess it ok to ride illegal trails....Don't ask don't tell -BS:wtf:
In his defense, showing trails to others does indeed spread their exposure, but posting trail names and directions online multiplies that exposure. I don't have any scientific data, but the net is usually the way random guys from far away places suddenly find what most locals consider hidden gems.

I'm sure crews on the North Shore cringe from time to time when one of their choice tracks gets posted up someplace....and canucks love outsiders. :D

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
Who are you anyways? Obviously you're just a bit*h since you have to make a new username just to try and tell off Brad. In my opinion he has been nice enough to show some people trails thinking that they wouldn't just blow our stuff up, I and others have done the same thing. Joke's on us now for being idiots and expecting all you ignorant redneck asses in the southeast and especially here on the internet to be sensitive to our trail situation up here. Canyons was shut down because of the ridiculous stuff the boys with all the stickers on their stuff and loud colored pajama suits built at the bottom. Same kind of people that think dumping a cooler full of old beer out at the bottom of the trail on the road because they don't want it anymore is ok. Bitter? maybe...Done with this? Yep.

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Easy killer lol. I am just trying to be a good host. There are several groups around that won't show anyone around and act like they own the forest. I spent the last 5 years learning all the trails in my area and I am more than willing to show anyone around because nobody would show me around. Sure I am probably not going to show someone I just met some of the hidden stuff but the 181 corridor is so blown up it's not a big deal to ride there. I am surprised a few of the trails haven't been shut down yet. Hell you guys can have headley. As a matter of fact why don't you guys keep posting about it and build more illegal features and see how much longer it lasts. Trust me the Rangers have had enough of that b.s.
I am going to have to disagree with you on how canyons was shut down. How many locals posted about it? None of us. It was outsiders who don't really know how things work up here and generated a lot of buzz by posting about it, directions on how to get there, and standing in the damn parking lot with tools/ bikes etc. So posting trail names does draw a lot of attention, more than you think. Rangers monitor forums all the time. How do I know? I am a ranger and know most of the rangers around the area. How do you think Headley ridge became so blown up?
So what is so freaking bad about not posting trail names? Why does that offend people? The southeast is lightyears behind other parts of the country in terms of working with the forestry service to develop sustainable trail networks and making mtn biking legitimate and not a liability concern. www.booneareacyclists.com is a good start but change isn't going to happen overnight.
So until then please keep things on the dl. That is the way things work here in wilsons so if you don't like it or if it offends you that much to not post trail names please don't ride here. Have a nice day.

wilson's

Chimp
May 17, 2010
You people think you own the trails just because you live near and ride there alot.You think if people drive to the trails then they are outsiders. Like I said a bunch of Hypocrites! If you "Locals" don't want any attention drawn to "your" trails then quit posting about them. Something about Wilson's creek is always at the top of the board?!? So if we ride there then just say we rode a bunch of no-name trails.....yeah right. I'll post what ever names I want to, good luck stopping me!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
You people think you own the trails just because you live near and ride there alot.You think if people drive to the trails then they are outsiders. Like I said a bunch of Hypocrites! If you "Locals" don't want any attention drawn to "your" trails then quit posting about them. Something about Wilson's creek is always at the top of the board?!? So if we ride there then just say we rode a bunch of no-name trails.....yeah right. I'll post what ever names I want to, good luck stopping me!
Just a thought guys:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Actually I never post a thread about group rides. If someone else posts I will say hey I would like to ride. And like I said at least 10 freaking times now, we don't own the trails, we just don't want dip****s like you ruining it for us because you obviously don't care. And we are not worried about you posting about your all day headley rides, you can have it.

danielsapp414

Monkey
Mar 27, 2005
Boone, NC
We don't own the trails, we are just trying to be good stewards of our natural resources. Sorry to be a dick but you guys are idiots and are working on ruining stuff for everyone. Maybe Brad and I should come down off the mountain to your local trail systems, post huge rides on the internet and build whatever we want in the middle of the trail and see how you like it. Sure posting rides doesn't matter in a lot of places, they're legit trails and on maps and in books, recognized and deemed legal by whatever local or regional agency that manages the land. Up here not that much is on the map or recognized as an official trail by the usfs...its all about respect, just respect that and keep stuff on the dl.

Also, I rode ol headleys today (the only trail I'll name in the forest) and whoever built the jumps on there on there is an idiot, great job at building them, they suck. I can see why people are upset, they're a great way for someone that didn't know the trail or wasn't going fast enough to get really hurt, mainly on that one with the unnecessary lander halfway across the trail. The only problem I have with the stuff that got built there is that its really gay, like dude on dude gay, it really brings nothing to the trail. I had no problem hitting the stuff on my 18 lb xc bike with the seat up, ok maybe it was slightly sketchy, but if I wasn't going fast as I was not knowing there was a landing to that second piece of work, I would have plowed the back of the already decaying lander rather than overshooting it. Remove the lander and it would be way safer and just as fun :-)cough: i mean gay.)

I took the chill pill, I feel waaay better now!

Last edited:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Rob??

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
wow...not too mention it is actually Wilson Creek not Wilson's Creek....just saying. keep rippin ya'll and let the idiots keep hunting for Wilson's creek. I mean ya'll are fighting about trails that have been biked on and shuttled on since a few of you guys were sh!tting green...

Out of towners and rad guys: dont add stupid high profile crap to the trails.
"Locals": get over it. It happens. other people want to enjoy the trails also.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Whoa, this is thick.... Sugar_B mentioned this on MTBR. I mentioned some trail names of a ride we did but did not think it was any big deal. I thought all the names were just made-up and not actual-official names, but I'll keep it on the DL now.I love riding all of that area of the forrest and do not want anything closed.

ininerider

Chimp
Jul 5, 2009
Banner Elk NC
Whoa, this is thick.... Sugar_B mentioned this on MTBR. I mentioned some trail names of a ride we did but did not think it was any big deal. I thought all the names were just made-up and not actual-official names, but I'll keep it on the DL now.I love riding all of that area of the forrest and do not want anything closed.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
hey biggins that is exactly why we are making a big deal out of it. We want everyone to enjoy the forest and we want a legitimate trail system. But how good do you think our image, raport and relationship with the forestry service is right now with the illegal building going on? The more buzz and posting of trails leads to more attention and illegal building. We are trying to lay the foundation of a legit and legal trail system so everyone can enjoy the forest in the future. I guess it is easy to think that we don't want outsiders and that we "own" the forest but that is simply not the case as stated numerous times. If I owned the forest and didn't want outsiders why would I offer to show so many people around? I thought that if people see how awesome this part of the forest is maybe we can gain momentum to our ultimate goal of legal trails. So until we have a legal trail sytem just keep things on the dl. Seems pretty simple to me. Even though we are taking one step forward attitudes like "wilson's" makes us take two steps back.

And "wilson's" you seem to enjoy riding your bike, yet you don't care about the future of Wilson Creek? But I am the hypocrite right? Try and explain that...or maybe you can create another username so you won't have to own up to your ideas...Awesome!

Last edited:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Also, I rode ol headleys today (the only trail I'll name in the forest) and whoever built the jumps on there on there is an idiot, great job at building them, they suck.
yup. my son is going to deliver a nice swift kick to the nuts of the dude(s) who built that garbage if we ever figure out who's responsible. he took a nasty OTB when he launched it and didn't see the lander until it was too late. i'll hold 'em down if i need to so he can line up a good nut-punt ;)

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Yeah they are not built well. They are built directly with the fall line so the rain will erode them quickly since there are no forms of erosion control anywhere near them. They are way too linear to be hips for one thing, and dangerous for a beginner rider. Plus the local Jonas Ridge horseback riders frequently use that trail and I am sure they are not happy with jumps choking out the entire trail.

ktmdirtracer

Chimp
Oct 13, 2009
sorry something was built you are afraid to hit on canyons, and what gives you the right to think your the only one to build anything, im sure tagging your name into the side of a tree was the smartest idea also..and we all like to put in features that are fun. If we dont build and move forward its gets old and boring, but if it wasnt built by you I guess it isnt a real mountain biking trail. If you so much as to think these trails around here are your local trails your beyond wrong, when did you become land owner of the US Forest..and this post is NOT concerning the issue at wilsons, I have nothing to do with that

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
sorry something was built you are afraid to hit on canyons, and what gives you the right to think your the only one to build anything, im sure tagging your name into the side of a tree was the smartest idea also..and we all like to put in features that are fun. If we dont build and move forward its gets old and boring, but if it wasnt built by you I guess it isnt a real mountain biking trail. If you so much as to think these trails around here are your local trails your beyond wrong, when did you become land owner of the US Forest..and this post is NOT concerning the issue at wilsons, I have nothing to do with that
brother...not to bag on you, because I have no idea who you are...but that was way random. I mean....like Nigerian scammer buying a used vibrator for $20k random.:no:

Your the one beyond wrong, and pretty arrogant. How many times have the locals said its everyone trails? Over and over.
Canyons got closed b/c the lower stuff that was too close, ie, not DL enough.
Its guys like you that get the good places shut down w/o factoring in how to go big AND be stealth.
Way 2 go bro:rant:
FYI, i'll trick the biggest stunts you could ever build so pipe down on the moving forward stuff. I'm all for progress but you gotta be smart about what you can pull off and where.
I tell you what, i'll be at Windrock this weekend. Show , represent and we can finish this conversation in person.

ktmdirtracer

Chimp
Oct 13, 2009
Your the one beyond wrong, and pretty arrogant. How many times have the locals said its everyone trails? Over and over.
Canyons got closed b/c the lower stuff that was too close, ie, not DL enough.
Its guys like you that get the good places shut down w/o factoring in how to go big AND be stealth.
Way 2 go bro:rant:
FYI, i'll trick the biggest stunts you could ever build so pipe down on the moving forward stuff. I'm all for progress but you gotta be smart about what you can pull off and where.
I tell you what, i'll be at Windrock this weekend. Show , represent and we can finish this conversation in person.
your right, you prob would trick more than me..good for you, but what I was typing up wasnt directed towards you or any of the other guys, it was to 1 person who just talks a lot of smack and thats why I put in the part about them putting their name with a chainsaw into a tree..and it wasnt you, and all of us mtn bikers need to also look at the COUNTLESS dirtbike riders that ride up and down canyons, they are loud and turn the ground up, easy to spot and they are reasons for its closing as well its no one person and no one thing, i hate its gone but im not going to stress over it. and also in no way was i being arrogant in that..just stating a point, dont really see why you got all defensive about that, as I can say again..that comment was not towards you

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
ktmracer we were talking about the poorly built jumps on headley, not canyons. Plus I didn't carve my name into anything. Where are you getting that from? My viepoint and stance for the 100th time is...and I will make it big for you to read...WE DON'T OWN THE FOREST! Nor do we think we own the forest. Trail building within US forest land is illegal and will get trails shut down. That is why we want to keep a low profile. And I hate to break it to you but you can't just go build stunts in national forest in the southeast for the sake of "progression".

your right, you prob would trick more than me..good for you, but what I was typing up wasnt directed towards you or any of the other guys, it was to 1 person who just talks a lot of smack and thats why I put in the part about them putting their name with a chainsaw into a tree..and it wasnt you, and all of us mtn bikers need to also look at the COUNTLESS dirtbike riders that ride up and down canyons, they are loud and turn the ground up, easy to spot and they are reasons for its closing as well its no one person and no one thing, i hate its gone but im not going to stress over it. and also in no way was i being arrogant in that..just stating a point, dont really see why you got all defensive about that, as I can say again..that comment was not towards you

I hear ya we have the same issue at the rock re dirtbikes and me and all my bros rides moto so its frustrating.
I dont know who your talking about. I just hate losing sweet trail for dumb reasons thats all. Just look at the Hickory situation a few years back. Bad ass stunts in a "hot" location.

We are going to have a good turn out at WR this weekend FYI.

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Why don't all you guys come to Windrock and build stuff over here? We have 77,000 acres with 2700ft of shuttle-able vert. dying to have trail on it.

As Loo said we are going to have a good time on Saturday at the Rock for those not going to the Open.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Why don't all you guys come to Windrock and build stuff over here? We have 77,000 acres with 2700ft of shuttle-able vert. dying to have trail on it.

As Loo said we are going to have a good time on Saturday at the Rock for those not going to the Open.
Borderline depressing to hear. I'll be conducting a bike safety rodeo for State Farm at the local elementary. My only consolation is that I'm gonna take all my bikes, clean them up shiny and leave them leaned against the tent.

My hope is to inspire the little groms to get out on dirt...and to show 'em off.:D

Who's doing gravity on Sunday anywhere? Drop me a PM.