Quantcast

What are some good cheap bikes?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
I have a friend who has $500 to spend on a bike. Any of you bike shop peeps have any closeouts that you would care to mention, PM me if you are not willing to get attacked for spamming.

It looks like he should be able to get a Alivio, deore type mix with mechanical disks, and a cheap, but real, fork from what I have seen online, but I am curious what he should expect in a real bike shop, as he isn't down with buying online because of fit and warranty issues.

Thanks.

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
You might check out the Giant Warp line - I think that they are near his price range and seem to be alot of bike for the buck, if he refuses to buy used.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Check the LBS scene to see if they have any decent '04 rental bikes for sale...they're likely not ridden hard and well maintained. Also, browse thru classified ads in the papers and Wooden Nickel.
I'd sell you my bike, but the way it's been running lately I wouldn't even WISH it upon anybody.:(

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
s1ngletrack said:
You might check out the Giant Warp line - I think that they are near his price range and seem to be alot of bike for the buck, if he refuses to buy used.

Good choice, but alas, he has to be able to tow a trailer full o' kiddlings.

The swap meet is a good idea, but alas, he is buying a bikey this weekend.

ummbikes

Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Kona, eh? Might not be a bad choice, I'll check out the Kona dealer in Olympia tomorrow.

Oh, never mind, I'll be in Seattle all day. Does Gregs sell their rental bikes?

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
ummbikes said:
Oh, never mind, I'll be in Seattle all day. Does Gregs sell their rental bikes?
Not sure, I'm in W. Seattle. I know Alki B&B does, so I would have to guess that Gregg's might...likely their Aurora Cycle shop as opposed to Greenlake.
Too bad this thread wasn't up a couple days ago as I was at the Greenlake shop yesterday...I would have asked for sure.:(

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Skookum said:
As an added idea you could tell him to go to the Seattle bike swap and get a good cheap used bike there....
Speaking of i just recieved my swap meet packet. The venue has changed. its not all in one big room at magnussen (sp?) park. I forget the date.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
oly said:
Speaking of i just recieved my swap meet packet. The venue has changed. its not all in one big room at magnussen (sp?) park. I forget the date.
wow trippy.... i know where that is, no dicks drive in next to the Bike Swap no more.... :mad:

hmm kind of dumb i hope the price for tables is cheaper then.... i mean it's still in Seattle but totally out of the way......