Quantcast

What are some of your favorite old school arcade games?

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Just got me an emulator and I'm trying to find all the old games that I used to play. Any recommendations for side or top scrolling shooters?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
yeah yeah, the original. i don't know if i ever played the nintendo version. i just remember wasting many a dollar at Mr Gatti's playing it in the arcade.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
An ex-roommate of mine had an original Nintendo that worked until a couple years ago. This is what we played: Contra I (try beating it w/o dying once, it's tough), Contra II when we were bored, Duck Hunt, Excitebike, and the master of all old skool games, RC Pro-Am.

Edit: Forgot another true classic, Metroid. Funny thing is, I still remember the code (Justin Bailey, I have no clue what it means or how I remember). Zelda was cool, but I never had the patience to play it all the way through though.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I also liked that Olympic game that had the ball and two buttons for controllers....you had to hit the buttons really fast to make the guy run, and you walked out of the arcade with sore shoulders and blisters. :D

Oh, one more: Punch Out. And of course I beat The Sandman. :D

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
Stargate - I think it's the arcade version of Defender
DigDug - I had a Commadore and could make my own levels
Pitfall - old school Lara Croft like
There was a text-based adventure game I played on an old IBM XT that I can't remember the name of. It was like D&D...?

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Pau11y said:
There was a text-based adventure game I played on an old IBM XT that I can't remember the name of. It was like D&D...?
Was it Zork? Or Old, old school Wizardry?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dog Welder said:
Man...some of you are waaaaayyyy more old school than me...ASTEROIDS? ASSSTEROIDS!?!?!....why don't you just go ahead and say PONG.
You're a young whipper snapper. Why, when I was your age...!

Hey, at least no one started talking about their fave pinball machine. And for the record, I played pong as a kid. Yeah, I'm THAT old! (Yeah, that slow too!) I bet I can school you in Mattel Electronic Football, too! :p

Yo Paul, let's go riding again soon... I have a new hardtail I want to try out at Wilson. Should be fun. You can ride the Yeti if you wanna try it out.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
DVNT said:
Or Old, old school Wizardry?
I'm pretty sure that is what I use to play. I had to upgrade my brothers Fat Mac(512K memory) to a double sided floppy drive. I thought I was cool because I had an external floppy drive, too. :rolleyes:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
My brother in law used to run the coin-op business for a major gamin company. He wrote (and produced) a lot of the "old school" arcade games, circa late 80's and early 90's. Has a bunch of them in his garage still.

Now he owns a company that makes cell phone games - easier to store.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm curious where i can find roms for my Mame32. Used to be a time i could pull a site where i can dl zip files all day for free....

Oh and i like Donkey Kong the original. But i like many others too, like Sinistar, Gyruss, Food Fight, i could go on and on.

i really want the Q-Bert and Popeye rom i haven't played those forever....

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
um, if you want if your emulator is MIME or what not. i have somewhere something like 100,000 different games....
yea shutup not kidding