Quantcast

what are the good bars in San Diego?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
by happenstance a friend of mine also happens to be in san diego, and though he's busy for dinner we are gonna meet up afterwards...so you san diegans, what is yr recommendation for a good bar? good vibe and good beer selection are the criteria.

go!

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Whiskey Girl. I don't live in SD, but been there a few times. Pretty good place. You can pretty much just walk up and down 4th and 5th street and bar hop.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
finally some good advice. as it turns out my friend lives in burlingame and is certainly familiar w/ the SF location...cool, thanks matt! i haven't been to that bar since the last time when i was w/ you.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Go to Ocean Beach. Visit Pacific Shores. The bottom of the barrel local joint. Horrific undersea scenes in day-glo on the walls with blacklight. The blacklight makes your $3 gin-and-tonic glow as you face confrontations with the scariest washed-up hippies ever.

There used to be a place called the Arizona in OB that was, quite literally, a homeless person's bar. Alas, it's apparently been gentrified since I left.

Tony's across the street is a decent little lounge-y joint too. And there's a place on Abbot--used to be the OB Grill--which was run by some Boston people. Used to have a mural of a dude in a Sox hat on the side. Hope it's still there...wife and I used to go watch ballgames there once in a while.

And there's the Sunshine Company for picking up trashy, fun chicks who smoke. When cosmetology school let out, the place used to get rockin'.

The place to pick up hotter, but still trashy, annoying intoxicated college girls was South Beach, at the end of the road near the water.

Obviously, I'm a beach kinda guy, not a downtown kinda guy...

I don't remember the names of any of the cooler music-scene spots, either. Winston's in OB had some decent shows from time to time.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I had a really good time at Canes but I think that had more to do with seeing RFTC in their hometown than anything else. Decent venue...worth seeing who is playing.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
goddamnit the internet connection in this fancy hotel sucks donkey gonads.

i think i'm gonna go w/ the Toronado since it looks very straightforward to get to, and they have some belgians on tap tonight.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Oh, Shakespeare's Pub had Boddington's and other good English stuff. Semi-decent shepherd's pie, and rugby always on the telly.

Last edited:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Trust Lovebunny.

And don't forget your parrot suit.

I wish I would have known you were in SD. My inlaws live in Ocean Beach. I would have gone down and had a beer with ya.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Dude I have one word for you:

TORONADO!

http://www.toronadosd.com/iWeb/Site/Welcome.html

At least one of the initial partners is a former pint-puller at the SF location. I haven't been there yet - check it out and give us a report.
Not sure what everyone loves about Toronado - yes, they have a good beer selection, but the rest was just regular. Was more of a Movida, Top (when they used to be there) or Noc Noc person. Nice vibes in there.

bcblur

Chimp
Sep 12, 2009
San Diego
If you like beer, Pizza Port and Stone are award winning breweries.

Albie's Beef Inn is hilarious; it's a piano bar where senior citizens go to to hit on each other. Oil paintings of nudes from the 60's, old people doing the rumba, and cheap, stiff drinks.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Hey!!

How long will you be in San Diego? Do you have a bike? Are you riding? Bike or not, we should go for fish tacos in Ocean Beach.

And no, that is not a euphemism for something other than fish tacos in Ocean Beach...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
1st night back in OB here. Waitress at Ortega's remembered me and Steph. Fish and pastor tacos. Followed by dropping off the wife and spending till now in Pac Shores getting loaded.

Although the old neighborhood does seem to have lost a tad of luster for me. Dunno why.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well unfortunately i only had a short stay in SD, but definitely enjoyed my night @ Toronado (south). good beer (i had no idea Sierra Nevada made Glissade or Black Juniper), and a great jukebox (shellac, x, blasters, drive like jehu, echo/bunnymen, high on fire were just a few of the selections from the old school (ie, cds in a carousel) machine).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
1st night back in OB here. Waitress at Ortega's remembered me and Steph. Fish and pastor tacos. Followed by dropping off the wife and spending till now in Pac Shores getting loaded.

Although the old neighborhood does seem to have lost a tad of luster for me. Dunno why.
Needs more goats.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Needs more goats.
That'd improve the smell and neatness factor, for sure.

I thought hippie beggar scum would cease to annoy me after living in Africa. I was wrong. I happily give to people in Buj a lot of the time. Life, especially on the street, can truly suck there and the 10-50 cents equivalent I give makes a day-to-day difference to some people.

Not giving to Americans who've decided to live under a pier, eschew showering, and smoke dope. When I lived here, they ceased to annoy me somehow, though it's not like I walked the streets handing out money, but now I definitely feel like an outsider.

Still, Mexican food rocks.

PS So there will be a San Diego Ridemonkey gathering for food one afternoon or night? Perhaps Hodad's, TJ? Or Ortega's if fish tacos are in order?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Not sure what everyone loves about Toronado - yes, they have a good beer selection, but the rest was just regular. Was more of a Movida, Top (when they used to be there) or Noc Noc person. Nice vibes in there.
The crowd at the T is changing but for me it's always been no more or less than a kick-ass beer selection, rad jukebox, and friends on both sides of the bar - which at the end of the day is all I want in a place like that.

Plus, Narlus and I shared a few pints at the SF version a while back and I figured he'd like to know there was one in SD.

Glad to hear it delivered for you Narlus.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
The crowd at the T is changing but for me it's always been no more or less than a kick-ass beer selection, rad jukebox, and friends on both sides of the bar - which at the end of the day is all I want in a place like that.

Plus, Narlus and I shared a few pints at the SF version a while back and I figured he'd like to know there was one in SD.

Glad to hear it delivered for you Narlus.
Gotcha.

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
Everything is $3 at Toronado on monday nights until 10 (at which point one should head over to the Brass Rail for manic mondays)

and they almost always have Old Rasputin on nitro it seems

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
That'd improve the smell and neatness factor, for sure.

I thought hippie beggar scum would cease to annoy me after living in Africa. I was wrong. I happily give to people in Buj a lot of the time. Life, especially on the street, can truly suck there and the 10-50 cents equivalent I give makes a day-to-day difference to some people.

Not giving to Americans who've decided to live under a pier, eschew showering, and smoke dope. When I lived here, they ceased to annoy me somehow, though it's not like I walked the streets handing out money, but now I definitely feel like an outsider.

Still, Mexican food rocks.

PS So there will be a San Diego Ridemonkey gathering for food one afternoon or night? Perhaps Hodad's, TJ? Or Ortega's if fish tacos are in order?
yup! ill give you a call asap. we can do a double date type thing