Quantcast

What are you using for pedals???

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
I have bin using some really ****ty mountain pedals on my old road bike for years. I didn’t want to put them on the new bike so I got a set of our (performance) road SPD pedals. Ok I remember why I hate road SPD stupid single sided entry. I’m thinking about eather getting a set of egg beaters or some Time carbons. I have used them on my mountain bikes for years and have a set of the Z controls on the full suspension. The other guys at the shop are trying to talk me in to LOOKS but I hate road shoes Any one eals use mountain pedals on there road bike?

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
Go with road pedals. Advantages are larger platform, power transfer, stiffer shoes. If you are considering Looks, check out the new shimano spd-sl.

Personally, I like the Time Impacts.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I use Campagnolo Chorus Pro-Fit for my good ride and DuraAce PD7700 for my beater bike. Between the two I have no preference, the campy set does have slightly better entry/exit feel but that could be due the DAs having so many hours on them.

If you are considering SPD mountain style pedals I would consider Shimano SPD-M959 and your regular moutain shoes - I have a set on my XC bike and I think they are great, I would not hesitate to use them on a road bike if you are dead set against road shoes.

Many commuters and tourers use mtn pedals - performance wise there is not alot of difference. Weight wise... 346gm VS 325gm - your mountain shoes should make up for the loss of platform in all but the most extreme efforts.

Pulser955

Monkey
Oct 29, 2002
Outside Philly pa.
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I use Campagnolo Chorus Pro-Fit for my good ride and DuraAce PD7700 for my beater bike. Between the two I have no preference, the campy set does have slightly better entry/exit feel but that could be due the DAs having so many hours on them.

If you are considering SPD mountain style pedals I would consider Shimano SPD-M959 and your regular moutain shoes - I have a set on my XC bike and I think they are great, I would not hesitate to use them on a road bike if you are dead set against road shoes.

Many commuters and tourers use mtn pedals - performance wise there is not alot of difference. Weight wise... 346gm VS 325gm - your mountain shoes should make up for the loss of platform in all but the most extreme efforts.

Yea i was looking at the M959s we dont have any in the shop so i dont know if i will get them. I have to call time and see what it would caust me to get the new mountain pedals.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I'm poor, so I just swap my Crank bros between my roadie and mountain...The roadie is a 15 year old Trek aluminum/chromo bomb, its not worthy of pedals.

I even have DOWNTUBEYS!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by xbluethunderx
I'm poor, so I just swap my Crank bros between my roadie and mountain...The roadie is a 15 year old Trek aluminum/chromo bomb, its not worthy of pedals.

I even have DOWNTUBEYS!
My not so nice ride has downtube shifters and is twenty years old - still a fantastic ride compared to some of todays frames.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I purchased a pair of brand new M-wing pedals on ebay for my roadie, only because I didn't want to invest a ton of money in new pedals and road shoes.

They suit me fine and I have become accustomed to the one-sided entry.

I've got downtubies as well :thumb:

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
single sides spds, real bitch to clip into as have always had double sided XC spds, even on previous road bikes.

keen to get some proper road shoes and pedals some day though, the bigger platform and stiffer sole will be a nice improvement, but then I love riding on the road with muddy off road shoes.....:)

ArmOnFire

Chimp
May 10, 2004
Exeter, NH
Looks on the road rig
Egg beaters on the mountain pig

I actually compared the 2 pedals on the scale, and they are pretty close, the benefits of the road pedals larger platform and stiffer shoes are worth it to me. You don't need multi sided entry for a road bike like you do on the trails. IMHO

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by xbluethunderx

I even have DOWNTUBEYS!
i run egg beaters on all my bikes

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I don’t know what you guys are using for mtb shoes but mine are just as stiff at the platform as any road shoe I have – in fact they are all quite rigid. I routinely ride my mountain bike with 959 distances in excess of 50 miles through the tree farms in my area – your basic logging roads. I am still spinning at 85 and working just as hard as I would on a road bike – harder since there is far more out of the saddle climbing. I don’t notice any effect from ‘loss of platform’.

Many, many cyclists do not care for road shoes or pedals – road shoes are a bitch to walk in when not on the bike. Single sided entry can make people uncomfortable as well. When you see serious bicycle tourists with good rigs you seldom (if ever) see them running road style pedals or shoes. They are almost always using some type of spds – the ones I see the most are Shimano 959s. These guys are on the road for days at a time – often covering 1000 miles or more in a single trip – if spds did not provide the platform, comfort and stiffness they needed they wouldn’t be using them.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by The Toninator
i run egg beaters on all my bikes
:stupid:

There is a weekly group ride here. Really it is a weekly race, people talking trash, trying to break away and drop each other. I was really disapointed the first time I went on it expecting a friendly social ride. Anyway showing up with hairy legs, MTB shoes helmet pedals and helmet and a camelback, and being able to hang with the fastest group of riders just pisses off the biggest jerks. Straight up keepin' it real.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
HELP

so my feet hurt... what should I do?

Specifically, it's on the long, steep climbs. Today we did ~4500 over 16 miles... they don't hurt now, some hours later, but during the ride, there were multiple hot spots and my toes were going numb.

Last week on the relatively flat century, they didn't give me a problem.

Should I tweak the SPD cleat or drop the dough on bigger platform, eg Look-type?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Stiffer soled shoes me thinks - :)
ok, whatcha recommend. Yes, I know, fit is critical, but if ya can give me a starting place.

I have a wide foot and a tight budget :)

I'm currently using Diadora Leggera... guess I now know why they were on clearance for $40 :(

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by LordOpie
ok, whatcha recommend. Yes, I know, fit is critical, but if ya can give me a starting place.

I have a wide foot and a tight budget :)

I'm currently using Diadora Leggera... guess I now know why they were on clearance for $40 :(
I just bought a pair of Lake CX303 and really like them because they have plenty of room in the toe box. I would avoid Sidi - all the best posers swear by them but I have never been able to ride in them. Try on as many pairs as possible, you road shoes need to fit like a glove.

No reviews yet but I'd give them a few flames.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Try on as many pairs as possible, you road shoes need to fit like a glove.
yes yes, but how do I know a potential shoe that does fit is "good enough"? For example, when looking at hiking boots at the store, the first thing I do is bend 'em. If they twist too much, I don't bother trying 'em on. I guess I'm asking, what do I look for in a shoe? I mean, the diadoras seemed good enough, but they ain't?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
All I know is that when I begin to get hot spots on my feet a new pair of shoes takes care of it. Your shoes are probably great for someone but not perfect for you. I know from experience that Sidi shoes run narrow and are expensive, most of my road shoes last about a year or two before I have the perception that they are to flexy. As soon as I get hot spots they are replaced. Your experience will be different but you'll know they fit when you find them.

Originally posted by LordOpie
yes yes, but how do I know a potential shoe that does fit is "good enough"? For example, when looking at hiking boots at the store, the first thing I do is bend 'em. If they twist too much, I don't bother trying 'em on. I guess I'm asking, what do I look for in a shoe? I mean, the diadoras seemed good enough, but they ain't?

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Originally posted by Arsbars
Speedplays on the rb and atacs on my cross and mtb's
Ditto. Took me about a month to lose the feeling of stepping on an ice cube with the speedplays especially when climbing. I've had em for 6-7 years now and the float is great and I never have to look down to find em when engaging as I start up from a traffic light. I went from spds to the ATACs on my xc mtb a few years ago and I ain't going back. My mtb shoes (Shimanos) have a carbon sole just like my Sidi road shoes. I do get some "burn" at the pedal on the ball of my foot during multi-hour rides on hot days with both systems however.

bikebabe

Monkey
Jul 31, 2002
Maryland
I use Shimano 5?5's, my mountain bike shoes and my "girls :heart: dirt" socks AND a camelback when I go for a long ride. "True" roadies stare at me in contempt, despite my nicely shaven legs, as I smile and lift my bike over the forest service gate. However, mountain shoes allow me to amble into the brush if needed without sliding on my a!@ or go into a store without feeling like I'm ice skating. I also like having the same pedals on all my bikes. To the platform argument, Fast Freddy won with eggbeaters so a platform doesn't seem to be that critical as long as your shoes are comfortable. Then again, maybe it's just my mountain biker ignorance.