Quantcast

What bike started it?

Which bike had the most impact on the racing world?

• Intense M1

Votes: 55 63.2%
  • Specialized FSR DH

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • GT DHi

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Giant DH

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other, if so which one?

Votes: 14 16.1%

• Total voters

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
As some of you know i've been trying to keep my friend from trying to race a rocky mountain, while looking around for bikes to suit him my mind began to wonder what bike started it all? Which one was the one that inspired all others and had the most influence on the racing world? This is really a pole.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
Dirtjumper999 said:
As some of you know i've been trying to keep my friend from trying to race a rocky mountain, while looking around for bikes to suit him my mind began to wonder what bike started it all? Which one was the one that inspired all others and had the most influence on the racing world? This is really a pole.
there was something about this on the last bike mag, if i find it i will post it up here

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Mountai Cycle San Andres. First production full sus. bike. First inverted fork. First hydro discs.
Then later the Foes slammer. But more importantly Brent Foes was one of the most influential guys in DH and XC ever. He was the first guy that figured out a bike with 6+ inches of travel wasn't an impossibility.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Foes LTS, cause it showed everyone...other builders included you could run more than a couple inches of travel and still ride it.

Intense M1 started the must have war, before then nobody thought they lost cause there bike was slower...palmer showed up on that thing...and all the estblished guys thought it had to be the bike.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
The Intense flagship Dhr....

Not sure if they called it the M1. It had the shock built into the seat stays.....Massive frame.....it was "the" bike to have.

Of course GT was DHing on 1.9" travel RTS models at one time also. :D

But Intense sticks in my mind....a small company with a prodect people wanted for DH. FOes was right in there, but Intense was the top of the heap at least for wannabee's :D And oh how I wanted-to-be.

Ended up with the RTS :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
UNless the first Intense bike was the M1 all the rest are 2 or more generations of Dh bikes from the companies. :D

Young kids these days....they just don't understand. lol

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
M1... So many generations, so much evolution, so many victories under different companies stickers ;)

I still ride an '02 M1. The thought of retiring it and getting something new crosses my mind from time to time......Then I remember how well it rides.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The M1sl. The m1 wasn't mega special until they added the swing link. Intense as a company was easily the most influential DH related company in the industry, and still going strong with the VPP comeback phase.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Zark said:
M1... So many generations, so much evolution, so many victories under different companies stickers ;)
I remember seeing pics of all different racers and their bikes, and loved how they'd just plaster a big Maxxis or Global etc...sticker on the side and that was the team bike. They didn't just sell because it was an Intense, but everyone and their mothers were riding them. It's sorta like the v10/DHR phase of now. Everyone has them, which isn't a bad thing as it tells you the product was ment to last and built well.

Intense's problems with the headtubes and such I don't think came from strictly racing rather than miss-use. I'm much bigger than Intense's average rider and I am not smooth at all, yet I don't feel any issues or problems with the frame. If I was to go jump off a cliff I might think twice about it.

Yeti always had some old full suspension bikes floating around but MTN Cycle has been around as long as I can remember. LOL Pro-flex and some of those other oldies come to mind as well (around the Judy DH fork time).

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Transcend said:
The M1sl. The m1 wasn't mega special until they added the swing link. Intense as a company was easily the most influential DH related company in the industry, and still going strong with the VPP comeback phase.

sl was nice...the end of the snapping stays and bow shapped frames.

I have to agree with all you guys who say the M1, i love the pics of the maxxis team poster of john kirkcaldie on his grey M1 hucking that drop on some race course.

As far as production DH bikes go, i think i really noticed the giant dh, as a dh bike that could be raced at amature level, along with those other bikes in that MTBA review.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
M1 has had the greatest influence, but I think the Mountain Cycle started it. Didn't Karpiel have a 5" travel bike in 1995? The GT Lobo was a pretty sick bike back in the day. The Santa Cruz Super8 came around in what, like '98?

Muuqi

Monkey
Oct 11, 2005
Ashland Oregon
Yeah I'd have to say the San Andreas. It just looked soo futuristic. . .and it's technology was before it's time w/o a doubt. The GT Lobo was soo dang good looking tho. . .especially w/ Nico on it when he still weighed a buck 50.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I said other because I think that the first longer travel bikes would probably have been either the GT Lobo or LTS series. :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
It is tough to say which DH bike started it all,
but when I really started to see the sport of DH develop,
it was when Myles Rockwell showed up and smoked everybody on
that Super V DH. The one that had like 6 inches of rear travel,
and a double crown fork with 4 1/2.
Before that everybody was racing on 3 inch travel trail bikes with
3 inch travel Judy forks.:dead:
It was cool to see how quick the industry went from that Cannondale
to the M1 and all the other DH bikes that are like it today.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
no doubt about it.. the M1!!

other companies had their riders on M1's painted in their own companies colors for the longest time

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Anyone else remember the Cannondale Fulcrum? Wasn't it a gear box bike? It weighed something ridiculous, but it was red and yellow, and was definitely ahead of its time.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Mutha ****in Mongoose Koz Kruiser!

I'd have to say the Yeti Arc FS was the first succesfull FS DH bike. That 2.5" of travel was all over the podium! Things really started accelerating from there, and those first M1 SL's became ubiquitous in '97.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
bikenweed said:
Anyone else remember the Cannondale Fulcrum? Wasn't it a gear box bike? It weighed something ridiculous, but it was red and yellow, and was definitely ahead of its time.
It was a jackshaft bike. They could of made it lighter...look at the BMW Racelinks. I don't think it was a virtual pivot bike though.

edit. I remember looking at covers of MBA issues with a racer flying down a mountain with xtr v-brakes. Crazy.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
What about the really long travel forks??? Hanebrink is the one that comes to mind as one of the first to make a 6" or 8" travel fork. Mr.Dirt as well.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ChrisRobin said:
It was a jackshaft bike. They could of made it lighter...look at the BMW Racelinks. I don't think it was a virtual pivot bike though.

edit. I remember looking at covers of MBA issues with a racer flying down a mountain with xtr v-brakes. Crazy.
I have canti-bos mounts for the Boxxer still. :D I ran V's on my old GT STS 1500DS (replaced the Judy XL with a 6" Boxxer) Mated with the Boxxer NON-disk 20mm through axle hub and Sun Mammoth rims

Ah those were the days. :cool:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
ChrisRobin said:
What about the really long travel forks??? Hanebrink is the one that comes to mind as one of the first to make a 6" or 8" travel fork. Mr.Dirt as well.
The Hanebrink/Zzyyxx(sp?) conventional fork was teh DH for k for the masses it seams.

I remember when the RST Mozo Hi-5 (the Double triple clamp 5" air damped spring/MCU fork) came out. :D My roomate in college picked one up and conqured every curb he could back in 96ish. LOL

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
RhinofromWA said:
I have canti-bos mounts for the Boxxer still. :D I ran V's on my old GT STS 1500DS (replaced the Judy XL with a 6" Boxxer) Mated with the Boxxer NON-disk 20mm through axle hub and Sun Mammoth rims

Ah those were the days. :cool:
If you weren't running shimano v-brakes, you were running Magura hydro ones.