Quantcast

What bike to get?

motomike894

Chimp
Sep 24, 2007
Northern Indiana
I am getting back into BMX, mostly street riding and dirt jumping, I had a older Haro 20" last summer and it sucked just too small and heavy.

The local shop got in a SE DJ flyer and I rode it around there and it feels awesome, so I am now thinking I want a 24 or 26 inch bike for sure, I am a bigger guy and it feels so much better than a 20"

My only question is how do they handle on trails, we have a couple different places in town and the one is big but has a ton of like 4-10 foot gaps and lots and lots of option and jumps in a row, but its all tighter, and they have some bigger hits and a 6 pack thats really tall and stuff.

Will the bigger bike be OK in trails like that, because thats where I will be riding it mostly.

Well any input would be great, thanks.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
bigger bikes will be fine in tight jumps they are generally more stable and eat up rough spots in jumps better.
In my opinion they arc and flick a little slower than a twenty but they feel more comfortable and the cockpit feels less cramped.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i just sold my bmx after only having it for only 5 months because i could never really get comfortable on it compared to my 26. tighter jumps are fine as long as the landings aren't too short, keep in mind a bigger wheeled bike is much longer. i hadn't ridden a bmx, so i got it out of my system i guess, but it's 26 all the way for me, the extra stability is a huge confidence boost and you can move around quite a bit more on the bike.

BUMP

Chimp
Mar 19, 2008
North-West Jersey
twenty sixers are great. they take big hits better then bmx rigs do and there is mor ecock pit room making it easier to get in and out as well as pedal.

mtbripper

Chimp
May 14, 2008
20s are definently lighter and quicker in the air but i like 26s better cause they are way more comfortable

dust4life

Chimp
May 1, 2008
Southwest CT
loved my 26, but now by swapping out to 24's i'll be dropping ~3.5 lbs and making my whole setup much more bombproof as well as more flickable

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
as someone who switched from bmx to mountain bikes and now back to bmx, i'd definitely agree that mountainbikes feel more stable when you first get into them, but once you are comfortable hitting big jumps in general, the bmx is way more fun to jump.

motomike894

Chimp
Sep 24, 2007
Northern Indiana
Thanks for some input, I think I have narrowed down between getting a DK Xenia I have heard lots of good things about that bike stock, and the new Haro steel reserve, I have heard of lots of people having problems with SE bikes.

Well if anyone has a used bike theyre getting rid of let me know, I would rather buy a used tricked out bike, than a stock cheaper new one.

Thanks.

I live in Fort wayne area.