Quantcast

what books are you reading?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Blue Latitudes - the travels of James Cook. Pretty good. Lots of history and facts about the explore James Cook. Pretty humorous at times as the author Horwitz retraces Cooks travels through the south pacific isles. Fun read.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
What do you like... fast/easy reading? Thought provoking? Drama/romance? Murder mystery?

Fiction/non-fiction?

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn is one of my all time favorites, but it's not for everyone.

Robert Ludlum does some good, fast, easy reading stuff. I usually pick one of his books up for vacations and such.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I just finished A Walk In The Woods.

I f'ing loved it! Easy read, funny, great if you love the outdoors. It's got a great undertone of political satire in it as well.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
stosh said:

I f'ing loved it! Easy read, funny, great if you love the outdoors. It's got a great undertone of political satire in it as well.

Ha! I just finished that yesterday! Good book, and a quick read.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'm currently in the middle of The Red Badge of Courage.
I felt I should read it since I didn't in high school.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
Ha! I just finished that yesterday! Good book, and a quick read.
I have family from Centralia PA. Both sides of my family are from the next town over in PA. My dad knew about the mountain side that was lifeless because of the chemicals that were poured on it as well.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Publius (or Gaius) Cornelius Tacitus' Germania
Rick Warren's The Purpose Driven Life
Robert Hellenga's The Fall of a Sparrow
Ben Mizrich's Bringing Down the House
Jimmy Buffett's A Pirate Looks at Fifty

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
stosh said:
Yeah well he didn't claim to be an experienced back woods hiker.

I'm going to read another one of his books soon. Thanks for the advice!
The idiot friend he hikes with is so funny. I've read another book of his. Can't think of what it was though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
bluebug32 said:
The idiot friend he hikes with is so funny. I've read another book of his. Can't think of what it was though.
Yeah his friend Katz is funny and makes the book. From time to time I would stop and read Aubrey some of the situations with Katz they were so funny.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Illusions by Richard Bach

This book is amazing, it's a real short read but it's so good. I give it two thumbs up.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
stosh said:
Yeah well he didn't claim to be an experienced back woods hiker.

True. But he could have sought out some reliable advice before starting out. He pulled the the equivalent of going to Walmart to buy a bike the night before trying to ride a century, and then had the nerve to write a book to complain about how it didn't work out. Sure some funny stuff happened but only because he was an idiot about the whole thing. It just rubbed me the wrong way I suppose. No biggy.

Nick Middleton (another travel writer) does the samething. He goes to these crazy far out places for the 'experience' and then bitches about how he's getting eaten alive by mosquitoes or something.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jdschall said:
True. But he could have sought out some reliable advice before starting out. He pulled the the equivalent of going to Walmart to buy a bike the night before trying to ride a century, and then had the nerve to write a book to complain about how it didn't work out. Sure some funny stuff happened but only because he was an idiot about the whole thing. It just rubbed me the wrong way I suppose. No biggy.

Nick Middleton (another travel writer) does the samething. He goes to these crazy far out places for the 'experience' and then bitches about how he's getting eaten alive by mosquitoes or something.
I guess for a lay person non-hiker like myself it was nice to hear how a non-experienced person saw the trail.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I specifically didn't mention the type of books I'm into as to keep an open mind and maybe branch out.....

keep the suggestions coming...:)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I read a bunch of science stuff, but also a bunch of random shiz. current reads:

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

What Do You Care What Other People Think?: Further Adventures of a Curious Character by Richard P Feynman

Lucifers Legacy: The Meaning of Asymmetry by Frank Close

in the queue to be read:

Antimatter: The Ultimate Mirror by Gordon Fraser

The Hole in the Universe: How Scientists Peered over the Edge of Emptiness and Found Everything by K. C. Cole

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Another good one I read recently:

Those Damn Rebels - The American Revolution as Seen Through British Eyes by Michael Pearson

The old axiom "history is told by the victors" is typically true and most Americans see the revolution only from the winning side. Pearson tries to go back and figure out what the British were thinking during what they considered a 'civil war' not a revolution.

scr1be

Chimp
Sep 22, 2005
stosh said:

i love bill bryson's writing. easy and funny.

scr1be

Chimp
Sep 22, 2005
jdschall said:
As an experienced backpacker and hiker, I found Bryson's ineptitude generally annoying.

I did however enjoy this book quite a lot:

"A short history of nearly everything"
i'm reading a short history of nearly everything now.

have you read "i'm a stranger here myself?" that's a good one too.

i just picked up "a heartbreaking work of staggering genius," which will be after a short history.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
llkoolkeg said:
How is that going so far? I have read nothing by Aurelius to this point...
its not exactly a book per se. Its more of his journal that he keep over the course of his life, consisting mostly of philisophical reflections(as an emporer of ancient rome, he was studied under some of the best philosphers of his time). So you can just hop around and read small portions of it. I'd really recommend it.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I finally finished Shantaram - almost 1000 pages. It's a true story about a guy that escapes prison in Australia and flees to a life in Bombay where he joins the mafia. It didn't need to be that long.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
jonKranked said:
its not exactly a book per se. Its more of his journal that he keep over the course of his life, consisting mostly of philisophical reflections(as an emporer of ancient rome, he was studied under some of the best philosphers of his time). So you can just hop around and read small portions of it. I'd really recommend it.
Cool...I'll check it out. A Pirate Looks at Fifty is much the same thing in a beatnik kinda way. :)

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
jonKranked said:
oh i also recently finished atlas shrugged by ayn rand. very long, but very good.
Very good book. Have you read The Fountainhead or Anthem? Both are great.

Right now I'm reading Guns, Germs, and Steel - interesting book.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Just finised Into The Air by Jon Krakauer

Recently read Between a Rock and a Hard Place by Aron Ralston

Started reading Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman (psy interests me)

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Now reading "The clash of civilizations and the remaking of world order" by Samuel P. Huntington.
Before that "1984" by George Orwell and "Stupid white men" by Michael Moore.
In between books like these I like to read stuff like "The Lord of the rings" and "The DaVinci code".

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Just finished Heart of Darkness and assorted short works by Conrad. Youth is amazing.

In the middle of This Is It by Alan Watts, an amazing collection of philosophical essays that everyone should read. If you havent discovered Watts yet, he was one of the most sane authors to come out of the 60's.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
jdschall said:
How was that? I've been meaning to pick it up.
Surprisingly well-written, but not on par with Into the Air. I was captivated by his story when it hit the news a few years ago. Seriously though, who wasn't? At the very least, the book was worth reading to clarify what exactly happened, and to gain insight into just how he managed to survive it. Btw, he combines his previous adventures into the book, and cleverly ties them into the story of his accident.

Yes, I would suggest it.