Quantcast

What brakes are these?

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
Definitely not the Formula, something else....
If yiu can get a hand on the Formula ORO take it, it´s powre is a tick less than Maguras Gustav M but incredible lightweight!!!

Greetz from Europe, Cannon

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Well they are gold and kinda look like these

but yeah they are not formulas just look alike.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Why would anyone care what a paid pro rides anyway? Last time I checked I don't have a private mechanic with full spares and service set up at the bottom of my trails. Do you?

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
@maxyedor

i ride the Formula ORO since last year and have no troubles with it!!!
Yes there were troubles with Formula in the past but with the ORO they have a great brake, durable and witg great power, no leaking or exploding........
We´ve sold many of them last year and there´s no complains.....

Greetings from Europe, Cannon

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Cannon said:
@maxyedor

i ride the Formula ORO since last year and have no troubles with it!!!
Yes there were troubles with Formula in the past but with the ORO they have a great brake, durable and witg great power, no leaking or exploding........
We´ve sold many of them last year and there´s no complains.....

Greetings from Europe, Cannon
At the shop I used to work at 3 months ago we flat refused to sell them due to so many warrenty issues:dead:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Ciaran said:
Greg Minaar probably gets paid to beg to differ.
True, but I haven't heard of any brake fauilures leading to him losing a big race or having a big wreck. Although he uses his brakes about 1/10th as much as the rest of us do, I'd assume.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have never had a problem with a formula brake and will be buying another set some time in the future for sure. the brake i have from them is one of the most powerful but still remains smooth that i have ever ridden and that is with a 185mm rotor with a 203 it wuold be the most powerful brake i have ever owned

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
True, but I haven't heard of any brake fauilures leading to him losing a big race or having a big wreck. Although he uses his brakes about 1/10th as much as the rest of us do, I'd assume.
regardless of what racers are paid to run, the #1 thing they care about is WINNING. the extra couple grand from one brake sponsorship means jack if some product "leaks and explodes like no-ones buisness" and costs him a UCI/NORBA win, let alone a championship. if a pro does take the money and doesn't like the product, they'll put on their favorite product and sharpie out the logo (hmmmm, tires anyone?). Minaar is not only running the Oros, but has also had product feedback on the upcoming models as well.

if it weren't for the new Code's coming out, I'd be on Oros in a heartbeat...

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
Two different systems between bike and moto...they just look similar.

A little Germish translation from the website:
This singular brake system is introduced to the professional world for the first time on the Bike-festival in Riva (Gardasee). The system nugget connects technology from the motorcycle technology with the current Bikedesign and supplies highest brake performance. A high-quality piece of Ergal aluminum in a CNC is converted the processing center to perfect form. Thus or similarly could the description read ours becomes nugget fair. Or forged brake pliers, one-piece or two-piece, also poured, fulfill their service. It is here rather the attraction of the perfect. The area of application of the brake extends from all Mountain to Downhill. Everywhere where controlled brake power, or simply only stability is in demand e.g. with heavier drivers. Already with 185 mm a brake disk a brake power is reached by over 500 Nm. This value is singular and speaks for itself. The four single linings guarantee a very harmonious lining wear. Depending upon brake disk and pump you know the weight of the complete system on approx.. 600 gram press. Those are straight times 60 - 80 g more than conventional brakes, which do not supply again the same performance. By the radial adapters you must change the Spacer with a change of the brake disk diameters, only. That can take place in an emergency also by means of shims. It will never more give an adapter state of emergency therefore. The extremely large reibflaeche of the four linings offers an enormous measure of controllableness and first of all a very small lining wear.

Looks pretty interesting to me.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
they tested it with a motobike to show how much power the brake has. @ eurobike u could test them with either their own lever or one from grimeca, even with the grimeca lever, it was very impressive. with a 185mm disk it feels a lot better than my gustav m with 210mm disk

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
They are custom machined and based on hopes, stay the hell away from Formulas they leak and explode like no-ones buisness. Magura all the way
I have had ZERO problems with mine, a guys I work with raced all season on them and had the same luck. O and one of the shops in downieville has them on almost there entire rental fleet with ZERO problems

downhillracer

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
Sammamish, WA
i have used my oro puro's for freeride and dh racing for a season now and my only complaint is the non-availabilty of parts. and maybe that the stock pads are better than any replacement ones from EBC. but as far as power and control, its all there!

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Mabye I just saw every single bad pair ever built, but I lost faith in the company. They were unreliable, and were total jackasses to deal with in MY experience, yours may vary.
Hmmm, that's strange. I have had nothing but good luck with the company, I had to order my brakes with the wrong adaptors and use some avid ones that worked, turns out they are slightly wrong so they gave me the right mount at a race

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
Dear Vlatko,

sorry for the little delay! I am drowning in work at the moment.

I know is not a lot but normally I should take 350 $ just for the
calliper. Its just too expensive in production at the moment. The Nugget is the most
powerful calliper on the market. Everybody says that not just I ;-)

The Lever is ready developed but the production is not organised at the moment. I
think it takes us another 3 Month for the first mass production.

You can combine the calliper with every dot Lever on the market. Of course there are
little changes but it works ok.

Greetings

Marc Boriss

that email from guy i hope this will help you

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
In reading this thread, im just wondering WHY. W/ systems like Saint and Code (coming)...There isnt a point.

What would be really sweet would be attempting to get a cotter pin for the pads from your local shop 5 min before they close on friday evening so you can race the next day. :rolleyes:...

Downhiller

Turbo Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
CROATIA....europe....CROATIA
from another email..

thx to Marc for giving time i know he is busy but big respect for emailing me that fast:

question about moto/mtb brake pic

1. Yes the calliper you see on the R6 is the same Nugget as for MTB. This
photo was taken in Valencia (Spain) last winter. I made the first testing's
on a motorbike at that time. The pads are Sintermetall Pads.

question about wave rotors

2. We have tested the Galfer Wave rotors as well and they were the worst we
have tested so far. A Wave design doesn't make sense on a mtb. The outside
ring of a rotor is the part where the most pressure comes to the disc. If
you cut that space to half you cut a lot of brake power as well. And you
create heat areas. That means the heat doesn't spread constantly. It works
on a Motorbike perfect but for mtb its just show.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
from another email..

thx to Marc for giving time i know he is busy but big respect for emailing me that fast:

question about moto/mtb brake pic

1. Yes the calliper you see on the R6 is the same Nugget as for MTB. This
photo was taken in Valencia (Spain) last winter. I made the first testing's
on a motorbike at that time. The pads are Sintermetall Pads.

question about wave rotors

2. We have tested the Galfer Wave rotors as well and they were the worst we
have tested so far. A Wave design doesn't make sense on a mtb. The outside
ring of a rotor is the part where the most pressure comes to the disc. If
you cut that space to half you cut a lot of brake power as well. And you
create heat areas. That means the heat doesn't spread constantly. It works
on a Motorbike perfect but for mtb its just show.

Wow, well that's not my experiance I have used Galfer rotors for the past two years with Hayes and Avid Juicy brakes and in both cases, they outperformed the stock rotors.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
In my case they worked similiarly to the stock rotors. The main problems being they were thicker, which made life miserable with new pads.

Then on a race practice run at mt snow they warped so badly they were hitting the swingarm on my 223.

I was running prototypes before they brought them over here, so who knows. They changes from stamped to laser cut or something halfway through (or maybe it was the opposite). Maybe that changed something, I doubt it though. They were also a major PITA to deal with.

Galfer's red compound brake pad however, are about as good as it gets. My guys tried a proto pad compound that was actually way too sticky, it was retarded.

edit: new pads, not new rotors.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
In my case they worked similiarly to the stock rotors. The main problems being they were thicker, which made life miserable with new rotors.

Then on a race practice run at mt snow they warped so badly they were hitting the swingarm on my 223.

I was running prototypes before they brought them over here, so who knows. They changes from stamped to laser cut or something halfway through (or maybe it was the opposite). Maybe that changed something, I doubt it though. They were also a major PITA to deal with.

Galfer's red compound brake pad however, are about as good as it gets. My guys tried a proto pad compound that was actually way too sticky, it was retarded.
They must have fixed the warping problem because the three sets I have on three seperate bikes never warped. I agree the pads are great and last longer than other sintered types especially in muddy conditions.

The only issue I have is that the locating " recessed " hole on the back of the pad is not as deep or wide as on stock pads which also makes putting on new pads a bit of a pain but I just use a dremel now to open up that area a bit and it's OK.