Quantcast

What brand of TP does Sam Hill use?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
So, I got a question about a funny observation.

Riders will make threads about the most useless components on a pro racers bike, and will build thier bike with said components right down to 5-sided allen head bolts. Yet the idea of a "signature bike", or even worse a team copy jersey, is laughable. Then the same guys will buy hockey/ football/ basketball jerseys without a second thought.

Whats with that? If you like a respect a rider, whats wrong with wearing a copy of his jersey, or being on a "Sam Hill Demo?"

I dun geddit.

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
It's funny you say that, this weekend at the race there were a bunch of guys standing along side the course during practice teasing some guy, yelling "go Sam!" because he was riding a red demo with black Boxxers. Kinda sad really.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
It's just like skateboarding - The only people that care are posers themselves. A bunch of high school girls. Whatever.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
It's just like skateboarding - The only people that care are posers themselves. A bunch of high school girls. Whatever.
agree with this completely, as for my "kit" i prefer to find something i like the look of rather than makes me look like _____, although i dont frown upon anybody who chooses to.

DamienD

Monkey
Nov 6, 2007
Bothell
why do u alls wanna know this kind of stuff it wont affect the way you ride. just cus its sam hill. thats just weird man. your weird

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
So what about all the people who are here reading your thread, the ones who opently or secretly are curious about what bloody kind of TP Sam Hill uses....what the hell is a TP anyway, and yes I'm reading the thread ha ha! Sam Hill fangirl for sure!

Sam is really good at what he does, there is always people who try to "cut him down" (tall poppy syndrome or whatever). There will always be Sam fans, Sam haters and then some people who will just hate the fact that people actually like Sam Hill.

I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to copy your role model. Isn't that what people are essentially doing when they read MTB mags and buy products because they've got a good review and they like them?

I think yelling go Sam at any Demo ride is probably a perfect example of why someone wouldn't want to go buy a replica Sam Hill outfit or bike etc, not everyone wants to draw that kind of attention to themselves. Maybe there is a "copycat syndrome" similar to the "tall poppy syndrome" where people seem to find the need to cut down others who evidently admire someone, but why?

Personally I think mtb, and probably forums in particular would be a much more boring place without the likes of Sam Hill. That name always seems to draw some interesting debates! You've certainly brought up a good topic.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I don't really care for sam hill at all but that may change when his new vid comes out. I do enjoy watching him ride and trying to read his lips while he attempts to talk. I sometimes make fun of fanboys but I make fun of everyone.

Waaaay back in the day when I got the chainsmoke VHS for xmas I watched it over and over again wanting to be just like Palmer. Not the ghey red white and blue DH kit but I did dig his Fox gear and casual look while rocking DJ's on his hardtail. Nothing wrong with looking up to a rider especially when you are a MTB grom like I was. Face it you don't see many dudes 20 years or older trying to look like a dude racing WC's.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
MOD EDIT

As for the replica stuff, our shop was given Sam Hill Worlds replicas and the shop owner wanted us to ride in them. Don't get me wrong. They were made by Hot Shoppe, expensive as snot no doubt, but I didn't. We got our own jerseys.

I stick it on when I ride this piece of private property near my house and that's it. They're great for people to take up to the riders and have signed as a momento though.

Just for kicks in practice as our local annual night downhill race, I threw it on and only Jeremy R got the joke. Everyone else there literally acted uncomfortable around me. Guys who knew me well even felt awkward. I kept laughing it up, but I was like a plague in the shuttle bus (more so than usual). :D Had to take it off quickly to gain acceptance again.:rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
It must just be the culture of this sport. As someone else pointed out, you can go to any major sporting event, NBA, NFL, MLB, NASCAR, Pro figting, Pro Soccer, Speed Chess, the list just goes on and you will see fans wearing shirts of their favorite player.........and not even just at the events, it gets worn as casual wear too. For some reason it does seem that there is less of that in this sport and in many instances when it does happen, the person gets made fun of. Not sure why there is a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
:rofl:x10

It must just be the culture of this sport. As someone else pointed out, you can go to any major sporting event, NBA, NFL, MLB, NASCAR, Pro figting, Pro Soccer, Speed Chess, the list just goes on and you will see fans wearing shirts of their favorite player.........and not even just at the events, it gets worn as casual wear too. For some reason it does seem that there is less of that in this sport and in many instances when it does happen, the person gets made fun of. Not sure why there is a difference.
How about it's the culture of this sport in the USA? I say that because we don't really have a "hero" like other countries(Ok, I'll admit I was pumppped to see Palmer back on a DH bike, but he's not at the level of top guys currently). UK has Steve Peat, France has Fabien Barel/CG/Nico, Australia has Sam (Rennie/Mick/Kovarik should be mentioned as well), and of course SA has Minaar.. South Africa doesn't seem to have a problem supporting their "hero"

All of our "heroes" seem to be from the Freeride aspect of the sport, where it jeans and t-shirts are more fashionable than a matching "kit"..
Thoughts?

Last edited:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
:rofl:x10

it's a weird thing. I can remember playing youth sports at age 10 or so and wanting to have my last name on my shirt/jersey, "to be like the real pros." by the time I played varsity sports in HS and college I didn't even care what my uniform had, didn't care about my number, didn't mind if I didn't have a name on my jersey. when I ride MTBs I never wear any sort of "kit" -- I wear roadie lycra shorts under a shell, and a wicking t-shirt. if I'm riding shuttles or riding super-nasty stuff w/ armor I add a larger-sized long-sleeve wicking jersey that is simply black... over the armor.

I don't feel a need to "look like a rider," much less a desire to look like a particular rider. I guess that's because I've always known two important facts on that subject: (1) I'm NOT that other rider/person; (2) the only way to get better or otherwise be more like that person is through practice, not by what bike I'm on, or what clothes or helmet or Leatt I wear.

the world is full of people who are nothing like me on this subject. people who don't even race or ride seriously deck themselves out like one of the top teams or riders. I'm talking about adults here too. it's most common among roadies of course, and among dirt-roadies (XC racers) as well. but plenty of big-bike-riding FR and DH riders do the same.

to a lot of people, the image they present is more important than their actual person and their actual personal skills. I don't understand that crap for a moment, but I recognize it's a big part of American society.

----------------

oh... as to the original post's topic:

Sam Hill uses eucalyptus leaves.

Aug 11, 2009
halifax
Whatever, I'm telling teh wifey to start buying Charmin from now on, 3ply I assume?

(ps I ride my bike, stealth style, even if I was sponkored I think I'd feel like a tool if I wore multi colour tlp pyjamas, they'd have to pay me a lot...)

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
How about it's the culture of this sport in the USA? I say that because we don't really have a "hero" like other countries(Ok, I'll admit I was pumppped to see Palmer back on a DH bike, but he's not at the level of top guys currently). UK has Steve Peat, France has Fabien Barel/CG/Nico, Australia has Sam (Rennie/Mick/Kovarik should be mentioned as well), and of course SA has Minaar.. South Africa doesn't seem to have a problem supporting their "hero"

All of our "heroes" seem to be from the Freeride aspect of the sport, where it jeans and t-shirts are more fashionable than a matching "kit"..
Thoughts?
Fair point, very well said.

I too got a bit excited with Palmer re-emerging. Hopefully we'll see more of him in the upcoming season. :thumb:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
In the same sense I also felt like a lot of us Americans felt "betrayed" when we saw Sam Hill wear Palm's Signature gold jacket at the end of the season..
Seriously? A tribute to Palm was a betreyal? How oversensitive can you get in US? Sue him. I still don't understand the outrage it caused in some. Wouldn't be a problem in other sports imho.
btw. I agree on the no hero part as it's similar here in Poland - no wc riders with results so some people who want to do something like the pros do get flamed.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
In the same sense I also felt like a lot of us Americans felt "betrayed" when we saw Sam Hill wear Palm's Signature gold jacket at the end of the season..

I thought it was great to see that jacket back on the podium after so many years on another specialized rider. By the way I hate spesh and think they suck.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Seriously? A tribute to Palm was a betreyal? How oversensitive can you get in US? Sue him. I still don't understand the outrage it caused in some. Wouldn't be a problem in other sports imho.
btw. I agree on the no hero part as it's similar here in Poland - no wc riders with results so some people who want to do something like the pros do get flamed.
Too be honest, I actually didn't feel this way, just basing it on the reactions I saw on here. I agree I saw it as a cool tribute to Palm and if I recall Napalm gave him the jacket to wear(correct me if I'm wrong)..

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I just thought it was odd. You ride the same brand and that's the only similarity. You're from another country, have the opposite attitude and you're your own man. I see tributes all the time, but for whatever reason, I just saw this one as awkward at best.

So on to more important things. When do we find out if Palmer makes the Olympic team? I can find NOTHING that says when and where the qualys are and what type of placing he has to have. Little help here folks. Someone says Napalm and I'm off!!!

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
the world is full of people who are nothing like me on this subject. people who don't even race or ride seriously deck themselves out like one of the top teams or riders. I'm talking about adults here too. it's most common among roadies of course, and among dirt-roadies (XC racers) as well. but plenty of big-bike-riding FR and DH riders do the same.
I like wearing road team jerseys off road because it's "wrong". And I don't care what The Man thinks.:rofl:

Seriously, I do both...I have team jerseys and neutral non-descript jerseys. I wear stuff that I think looks good. Part of the appeal of the sport is the aesthetics...there's some pretty cool looking stuff out there. For some people it's a big groove, for other people it doesn't matter as much. At the end of the day (or trail) it seems to be the riding skills that garners the most respect regardless of what someone wears. Like what slowitdown said...it's riding that makes the rider.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
So on to more important things. When do we find out if Palmer makes the Olympic team? I can find NOTHING that says when and where the qualys are and what type of placing he has to have. Little help here folks. Someone says Napalm and I'm off!!!
found this:

In boardercross, 2002 Olympic halfpipe gold medalist Ross Powers finished third at a World Cup boardercross race in December and became the third U.S. rider to meet the Olympic qualifying criteria, along with 2006 Olympic gold medalist (in boardercross) Seth Wescott and Graham Watanabe. Any number of riders could qualify for the last spot in the next three World Cups, including Nate Holland, Nick Baumgartner, or Shaun Palmer, to name a few.

and this:

http://www.fissnowboard.com/uk/news/finish-for-olympic-games-brings-time-for-breathers-for-the-snowboarders,22.html

looks like the final spot is still in contention pending the next few wc rounds. hoping the old guy makes the cut.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
it's a weird thing. I can remember playing youth sports at age 10 or so and wanting to have my last name on my shirt/jersey, "to be like the real pros." by the time I played varsity sports in HS and college I didn't even care what my uniform had, didn't care about my number, didn't mind if I didn't have a name on my jersey. when I ride MTBs I never wear any sort of "kit" -- I wear roadie lycra shorts under a shell, and a wicking t-shirt. if I'm riding shuttles or riding super-nasty stuff w/ armor I add a larger-sized long-sleeve wicking jersey that is simply black... over the armor.

I don't feel a need to "look like a rider," much less a desire to look like a particular rider. I guess that's because I've always known two important facts on that subject: (1) I'm NOT that other rider/person; (2) the only way to get better or otherwise be more like that person is through practice, not by what bike I'm on, or what clothes or helmet or Leatt I wear.

to a lot of people, the image they present is more important than their actual person and their actual personal skills. I don't understand that crap for a moment, but I recognize it's a big part of American society.

----------------

oh... as to the original post's topic:

Sam Hill uses eucalyptus leaves.
thats how i feel,:thumb: im just glad to be out on my bike with my friends:D

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I just watched a boardercross race on Eurosport 2 and Palmer was noticeably faster in the corners and took much harder inside lines but then got smoked in all the straights. Seems like he has more carving/cornering technique but the other guys have more power when pumping the whoops/jumps in the straights. I am not a boardercross expert but I snowboard a lot and that is what I noticed.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I just watched a boardercross race on Eurosport 2 and Palmer was noticeably faster in the corners and took much harder inside lines but then got smoked in all the straights. Seems like he has more carving/cornering technique but the other guys have more power when pumping the whoops/jumps in the straights. I am not a boardercross expert but I snowboard a lot and that is what I noticed.
That kinda sucks as contrary to popular belief you can loose very much on the straits. Learned it the hard way last year when I entered a bx race and ended being smoked on the straits. Prolly it depends a bit on the track as mine was flat as hell and on steeper ones the differances will be smaller. I still hope he makes it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Yeah, sounds par for the course. I dug around the FIS site and found all his World Cup results for this year. Nothing to even mention really...finished 18th to 20th in most all of them. Bummer.

Maybe he'll get lucky and one of the last two rounds will be a Schladming style course with a mass pileup putting him on the podium. Doesn't look like he'll make it. He's currently ranked 94th in the world and about the 7th US rider.:(