Quantcast

what companies have hooked you up?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
I work at a shop that carries specialized, cannondale and trek but I am interested in getting another bike from someone else. Maybe intense or something. Do any of these companies EP stuff even if ur not a dealer or at least sell stuff at cost to people who arent dealers? Im thinking if I just call them up and be cool with them and tell them "no one ride them in the area" blah blah maybe theyll be cool? Is this likely or is the market just too small for them to do stuff like this?

thanks

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
The idea of EP is that you sell what you ride... isn't it?
So doing that would somewhat contradict the point of it, wouldn't it?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Some of my friends got hooked up thru their shops with brands they didn't carry. I think it was Turner and possibly Santa Cruz who were the easiest to deal with, but I don't know for sure, cuz I wasn't the one buying the bike.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Marzocchi; polished fork for non-polished price (ep direct puchase)

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
yeah, ive gotten EP from ellsworth and santa cruz, neither of which we stocked.
as for parts, hadley, sun ringle, magura....

I got an Intense frame that way but it wasn't a EP kinda price.

I mean, you're supposed to buy a full line of product to get the EP price so its kinda case by case.
Some are more willing than the next.

I suggest you EP a frame or bike you do carry and ride it until you figure out the next move.

EP is usually less than shop cost so its a really good deal.

PS. don't be a scmuck and abuse the privledge

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Ive EP'd a super t already and attempted do deal with manitou's creative service but that didn't work out. I already have a fine bike im just wondering for next season's sake and such...

I guess ill just try to call some companies and be cool to them see what they say.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Varies company to company. Smaller ones are more willing to do that sort of thing as they don't have many dealers to begin with and are more receptive to one on one deals. Some companies might even just set you up as a dealer even for one frame or might not give you full EP price but will give you some kind of deal for being in the industry.

I worked at a shop and got a really good deal from Cortina. Also, Evil gave me an EP form and Foes said they would probably be willing to work something out but I never took them up on it. We were a Trek, Cannondale, Bianchi dealer mostly. If you can get something from Santa Cruz, I'd look into it. Good bikes and really good prices.

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by biker3
stand for employee purchase I want one for me to ride....
You genius!
That's exactly what I meant... as a shop employee, you purchase the bike for yourself. The idea being, people respect what the shop guys ride, and it's promotion for the brand.
What do you do in this shop? Sales, or mechanic? Because you're defeating the purpose of EP if you're not selling the brand that you buy... fair enough, smaller companies will hook you up even if you don't sell them, but it's a bit bad for your shop if you ride a big brand but don't stock it.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Originally posted by biker3
...Maybe intense or something.
Bahahahahah! Good luck trying to get in touch with the guys at Intense. I work for one of largest dealers of Intense and we can't even get the guys to pick up the phone. I've worked there for 6 months and have never met our rep.

A lot of bike companies would let you do an EP. Most of the time you will need the tax ID information and a manager's signature with any EP form.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Originally posted by Rik
You genius!
That's exactly what I meant... as a shop employee, you purchase the bike for yourself. The idea being, people respect what the shop guys ride, and it's promotion for the brand.
What do you do in this shop? Sales, or mechanic? Because you're defeating the purpose of EP if you're not selling the brand that you buy... fair enough, smaller companies will hook you up even if you don't sell them, but it's a bit bad for your shop if you ride a big brand but don't stock it.
Little white lies don't hurt anyone. "Yeah, I own 3 Cannondales. Best bikes made! Sometimes I just send them an envelope full of money because they are awesome!"