Quantcast

what DH frame?...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm a crack smoking, male prostitute with an affinity for porcelain dolls with extra limbs and I'll back you up any day of the week.
I appreciate that. It's always good to know who your friends are.

It's also very good to know which people you never want to be left alone with.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
crazybiker2000: it arcs. Grab your horst link with the shock off and see how much that thing actually pivots. It's almost nothing.
If you look at FSR links over time, the axle-to-pivot distance has gotten smaller and smaller over time. Look at a new enduro vs. an '02, it's noticable. (this was actually pointed out by Dave Turner in the interview about why he dropped the horst link).

I own an enduro, and still like it a lot, but don't think the suspension is all it's hyped up to be. IMO, if your linkages, leverage, and damping are set up right, it will ride right.

Take for example the Ventana El Cuervo vs. the Turner DHR. Very similar designs, but they ride absolutely differently. There are so many things you can't see about good suspension.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
To me, the dw link is just a glorified vpp design, similiar concept different design.
So by that stroke of genius, then your dhr is just a glorified bullit?

And if you want to drop some coin on a US made frame, the Sunday factory meets those requirements...
You shoulda tried a different shock on your Sunday. The dhx rocks.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
If you look at FSR links over time, the axle-to-pivot distance has gotten smaller and smaller over time. Look at a new enduro vs. an '02, it's noticable. (this was actually pointed out by Dave Turner in the interview about why he dropped the horst link)..
word

the old original amp design bikes were closer to what those giant nrs bikes looked like.......makes the swingarm want to rise a bit under pedaling.

Ironically, after riding ellsworths, old intenseseses, and turners, I think the specialized bikes were the poorest excecution.

Take for example the Ventana El Cuervo vs. the Turner DHR. Very similar designs, but they ride absolutely differently.
Disagree with that. I own a dhr and have ridden cuervos a good deal on terrain I'm very familiar with.

What big differences you think there are?

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Send me a linky. The only stuff on their website is in french. Even when I link to it from the english version.

thanks
Interesting they don't have it on their site anymore...the only place I know for sure they have it is in their 2006 brochure. If someone has one and can scan the pages in with the contact system explained that would be key for ya. Bos engineering has some really vague stuff on their site. Maybe they are keeping everything under wraps now as people are stealing their tech-like diamondback and sunn. I don't have a scanner but I know there are Commencal dealers in your area, see if they have any brochures. They distibute out of Reno-Clark was just there yesterday. I'm sure you could find one. Sorry I'm of no help here.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Interesting they don't have it on their site anymore...the only place I know for sure they have it is in their 2006 brochure. If someone has one and can scan the pages in with the contact system explained that would be key for ya. Bos engineering has some really vague stuff on their site. Maybe they are keeping everything under wraps now as people are stealing their tech-like diamondback and sunn. I don't have a scanner but I know there are Commencal dealers in your area, see if they have any brochures. They distibute out of Reno-Clark was just there yesterday. I'm sure you could find one. Sorry I'm of no help here.

One of my minions may have picked up something at I-bike.:pirate2:

Who/what's the reno contact? Through sinclair or something?

Bos did the design? They're catridges for the 888 (at least the one I rode) sucked monkey balls. Spiked worse than a jr t with mayonaise in it.

I may just see if I can get luc to translate the page for me. He's a pinko commie smelly frenchman.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Ditto that. I liked the 5th, but wasn't thrilled. Got the ROCO, and am absolutely thrilled.

Ironically, after riding ellsworths, old intenseseses, and turners, I think the specialized bikes were the poorest excecution.
What about the spec made you think it was worse? I only ask cuz I've recently become bored w/my SX Trail and am debating either setting it up with more-better shox, or going for a new frame.
Really like the Geo though.

Disagree with that. I own a dhr and have ridden cuervos a good deal on terrain I'm very familiar with.

What big differences you think there are?
More in feel. I guess it could have just been rider setup, but the Cuervo I pedaled around (not on trail) felt totally different than a DHR.

I retract my statement as poorly based speculation.

Bos did the design? They're catridges for the 888 (at least the one I rode) sucked monkey balls. Spiked worse than a jr t with mayonaise in it.
I was thinking about getting those instead of upgrading to the rc2x but Scott @ go-ride didn't seem overly impressed.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was thinking about getting those instead of upgrading to the rc2x but Scott @ go-ride didn't seem overly impressed.
I remember at least one, and I think a couple people who claimed to have rode them when they first got released and the first pictures were posted, who absolutely raved about how they were the most buttery smooth, bottomless forks ever to come into existance and how just breathing on one would cause it to sink into its travel and the blah blah blah blah :twitch:

Guess they weren't what they were cracked up to be, eh?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What about the spec made you think it was worse? I only ask cuz I've recently become bored w/my SX Trail and am debating either setting it up with more-better shox, or going for a new frame.
Really like the Geo though..
I just don't think they pedal all that great. They squat too much. The ellsworths, turners etc stay more balanced going uphill. It can be tamed with damping toys but then you lose some dh squish. That's literally the only reason I sold my last enduro for a 6.6.

Specialized geo kills it though. That's the main reason I've ridden their xc bikes forever. One of the few companies not afraid to make a low bike that rails........... I still think they make some of the best descending bikes out there based soley on geometry.

Guess who's cuervo I rode that had the bos damper in the fork...:brows:

At the time he wasn't sure if it was an oil issue (he'd tried a few) but he said he wasn't comfy promoting them. Definitely knocked him and go-ride's integrity up a notch in my mind. May have been a setup thing but I wouldn't be dropping money on those things until I felt something different.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
That's literally the only reason I sold my last enduro for a 6.6.
Intense or Iron Horse? Those are two of the bikes I'm seriously considering. I climb a lot, but generally with the idea of blasting down something fun afterwards.

Guess who's cuervo I rode that had the bos damper in the fork...:brows:

At the time he wasn't sure if it was an oil issue (he'd tried a few) but he said he wasn't comfy promoting them. Definitely knocked him and go-ride's integrity up a notch in my mind. May have been a setup thing but I wouldn't be dropping money on those things until I felt something different.
Pretty much the same thing he told me. He actually said the best he got it to feel was using a lighter oil, and keeping the stock damper in one leg.
Hmmmm.. a half-stock fork feels better than with two super duper cartridges?

I'll stick with what I know.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Intense 6.6

And yeah I'm the same way.......I climb so that I can descend. I just got tired of screwing around with my shock at the top of every climb switching propedal settings back and forth. I've never even seen a 6 point but I'd like to take a spin on one.

Yeah....stay with the stock zoke dampers.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
So by that stroke of genius, then your dhr is just a glorified bullit?

And if you want to drop some coin on a US made frame, the Sunday factory meets those requirements...
I know, the US frames were key, just more $$. Nice indeed. Ditto the DHX. Sam's bike felt unreal by the way.

Oh yeah, bullits suck, ive ridden em. theres so many better bikes out there.