Quantcast

what did you eat this weekend?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
maybe this can be a pseudo-sticky for the forum...

i don't get to do much cooking mid-week, so weekends are when i try out new stuff.

Friday after riding, i picked up a nice slab of striped bass (pan roasted, w/ coriander, salt, and pepper), which went very well w/ the sauteed bok choy, shiitake mushrooms and broccoli.

Saturday was meat night. steamed some green beans and the leftover broccoli and dressed 'em w/ soy, lemon juice and olive oil. grilled a massive bone-in ribeye, and had a green salad. also had some cold peanut and sesame noodles (store-bought).

sunday we went out to dinner, got some steamed clams (1st of the year) and buffalo wings.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
My weekend is not over yet. Last night we decided to eat out so we could skip the crowds at the grocery. went out for sushi and sake, then hit up the fancy french restraunt down the street for dessert. i had the fresh berry cobbler a la mode and tn had the jamaican crepe filled with bananas, orange marmalade and topped with whipped cream ( I love real whipped cream).

tonight its jerk jerk jerk. gotta use some of these habs up. we are having jerk turkey tenderloin as well as jerk whole chicken. I'm not sure what we will have with it but i'm sure some roasted tomatoes will top the menu since we are picking 50 or so a day. maybe some grilled fruit for dessert.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Made a kick ass pork tenderloin. Marinated it with garlic, mustard seed, vinegar, olive oil and just a touch of red hot. Damn tasty.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The weekends are definitely the time to try new stuff.

Friday I spent a good 90 minutes turning six pounds of ground beef into burgers. I made two types of burgers: Sundried tomato garlic, and mexican burgers (beef w/crushed nacho chips, jalapenos, various spices). Then we ate some for dinner.

Saturday I crocked up a batch of meatballs and we had that w/wheat pasta and garlic cheese bread for dinner.

Sunday was brunch out, then leftover meatballs for dinner.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Friday night I had a Kobe beef burger. It was everything I hoped it would be. Simply delicious.... :drool:

"Kobe beef is beef made from cows that are fed a diet enriched with beer and massaged lovingly by attendants in Kobe, Hyogo, Japan. Japanese Kobe Beef is well-marbled and very tender. The attention and time given to the cows is said to produce the best beef and gives Kobe beef a high cost.

There are four major breeds of wa-gyu (wa means Japanese and gyu means cattle): Japanese Black, Japanese Brown, Japanese Polled, and Japanese Shorthorn. Japanese Kobe Beef is from Tajima-ushi, which is a type of Japanese Black. Tajima-ushi are fed on natural feed such as barley, wheat bran, and grass, and good water in the Tajima region. Tajima-ushi beef which meets special criteria becomes Kobe Beef. The beef must be ranked as Grade A or B with fat BMS number 6 and over by Japanese Association of Meat Ranking. It's said that only 3,000-4,000 Kobe Beef Cattle are available each year in Japan. Kobe Beef costs over $100 per pound in Japan.

Kobe Beef in the US is a crossbreed of American cattle and wagyu raised in the U.S. It tends to be less expensive than Japanese Kobe Beef.

In Japan, Kobe Beef is eaten as Sukiyaki, Steak, Shabu Shabu, Teppanyaki Japanese BBQ, and more. The quality of meat texture is so tender and delicate that it is even savored raw sometimes as a sort of beef sashimi that seems to melt on one's tongue."

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Had the best pork ramen (called Hakata ramen in Japanese-after the area it originated in) I've ever had in Japan. Be going back to that little joint for sure. Their fried rice was pretty good too.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
valve bouncer said:
Had the best pork ramen (called Hakata ramen in Japanese-after the area it originated in) I've ever had in Japan. Be going back to that little joint for sure. Their fried rice was pretty good too.
reminds me that i need to see _Tampopo_ again soon. i loved that movie.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
well we did the jerk last night. fantastic if i do say so myself. i love to leave the table witha runny nose. rounded to out with ginger- honey cornbread, sesame grilled asparagus beans, and fried green tomatoes. we have leftovers for the rest of the week.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
jamaican jerk marinade

4-15 scotch bonnet chiles
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts, trimmed and coarsely chopped
2 shallots halved
1 small onion quarted
2 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tbsp fresh grated ginger ( i use about 2)
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
2 tsp ground allspice
3 tbsp canola oil
3 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp fresh lime juice (more to taste)
2 tbsp firm packed dark brown sugar ( i use 3 cause i like it sweeter.)
2 tbsp salt or more to taste
1 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 cup water

put it all in the blender and puree until smooth. fix the seasonings. marinate chicken for at least 3 hours, pork for at least 5, fish for about an hour.

got this out of "the barbeque bible" by steven raichlen. it is a fantastic book. haven't tried one thing out of it that wasn't absolutely magnificant.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
laura said:
4-15 scotch bonnet chiles

:eek: :eek: Did you mean "4 to 5" or are you serious about up to 15? Holy crap!!

As for me I had some chicken soup, yogurt & granola, clifbars, grilled sausages, fruit, tortillas. All very simple but since I ate it at a camp site way up in the Sierras after riding all day for two days it was some of the best food ever - not to mention the cold brews or (late night, around the campfire) the flask of scotch that washed it all down!!! Hoo-yeah!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
cooked up a couple batches of ribs (dry rub included paprika, chile powder, ancho chile powder, salt, black pepper, coriander, dry mustard, brown sugar, onion powder, garlic powder).

also grilled a chicken, cut into parts. marinade included honey, oil, garlic, ginger, orange juice, and a habanero pepper.

made a salad dressing of reduced port and orange juice, red wine vinegar, thyme, cream, salt, pepper, walnut oil and veggie oil.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Well, I had some broccoli slaw (similar to cole slaw but has bacon in it so it's automatically better); lots of fruits (black plums, bananas, strawberries, nectarines and pears); deep fried turkey, homemade chocolate chip cookies, taco dip, chips, homemade blueberry pancakes and sausage links. Oh, and a couple of ham & cheese sandwiches! :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
reviving this once again (and deleting that huge lamb pic while i'm at it)...

the store didn't have halibut (1st choice) or lamb chops (2nd choice) so we went w/ pork tenderloins. made a pesto-type of marinade...in a mortar and pestle i mashed up garlic, cilantro, parlsey and oil. coated the pork w/ salt, pepper and coriander, and then let it sit in the fridge for a few hours. grilled 'em up. white bean salad w/ oil, lemon juice, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds, red onion and S&P. also stir-fryed some bok choy w/ garlic and ginger.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
we are having lamb chops tonight. not sure how we are going to fix them up, but i can't wait. lamb shops are my new favorite.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Saturday: (Friend's b-day party), salt-n-vinegar chips, potato salad, cheese burger, a taste of deep fried turkey, 2 white chocolate macadamia cookies and lots of water!

Sunday: Lasagne and blueberry pie :drool:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
last nite....me pollo con mole & a sol. la carne asada & sangria. muy biene!!!1uno!!

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
the menu is fixed

tonight, grilled lamb chops with mint chimichurri
wild mushroom and shallot quinoa
grilled zucchini and squash
grilled cherry tomatoes with rosemary and sea salt

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
SkaredShtles said:
Friday: Pork loin chops with a dijon/peach sauce. Petit green beans and some rice pilaf. Accompanied by:

oh man. we had a '96 Gran Reserva Monticello a while back, our first real "splurge" (read: +$25) on wine. f'n a, it was a good bottle of vino. :thumb: I love Riojas. w

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
After a long day of riding on Saturday we fired up the grill for marinated skirt steak and tri tip, corn, and asparagus, washed down with some tasty brews and tall tales...then the Patron came out...much later the MacAllan came out...then on Sunday we ate greasy breakfast and rode some more despite pounding heads and sore legs...on the way home we saw the sign and had to do it: In and Out. :thumb: