Quantcast

What do i need to bleed my own discs?

Oct 7, 2001
new york
can someone please tell me how and what i need in order to bleed my own discs brakes?i have a set of hayes 2000 hydro disc brakes.can i make a bleed kit myself?where can i get the stuff what do i need to do?:confused: :confused:

Tracer_Guy

Chimp
Oct 27, 2001
Exeter, NH
My bike came built up w/ Hayes disc, so I got no bleed kit with the bike. If you buy Hayes disc kits, each one comes w/ bleed kit-I'd ask your lbs for a the bleed gear, since they may have a few dozen kicking around.
I was a sucker and bought the official Hayes bleed kit for $20. For that you get a small bottle of DOT 3/4 brake fluid, a plastic spueeze bottle, cap, tubing, and a small fitting for the bleed screw. I've had very little luck bleeding using the squeeze bottle, so I cut some vent holes in it and use it to catch used fluid from the bleeder during the bleed process.
I found some great plastic syringes (sans needle) at a agriculture/vet supply store for a buck or so. A syringe with an inch or 2 of tubing works great for bleeding. Just be careful not to force too much fluid through at once using a syringe-a helpful Hayes support tech warned me of syringes introducing bubbles (cavitation) if used to push fluid through too quickly. Oh yeah-if you bleed them inside, you might want to get a shop mat. I went to Walmart and got a 6' plastic carpet cover that goes under my bike workstand for this purpose. Rubber gloves help too...
Good luck with bleeding Hayes!

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
if you are gonna bleed your brakes take your pads out and put them far far away. if you get any brake fluid on the pads or rotor it will ruin it for pretty much life. (there are a couple ways to get around that) but pretty much you will be getting new pads and rotor.

alex spencer

Chimp
Aug 5, 2001
england
if you get oil on your rotor, it will be fine to use again, you just have to clean it really weel with some meths or disc cleaner, just don't get oil on the pads.