Quantcast

What do like/dislike about your bike?

spurlicked

Monkey
Oct 9, 2007
Roseville
OK, well I'm ready to invest in a XC bike and would like to know what you like, dislike, or would like to change about your bike and why. What is your dream bike and why?

I'm probably leaning toward a hard tail and maybe a 29er, but not opposed to full suspension.

What components/features on a bike do you find to be the most important spend the $$ on and what can be sacrificed to save $$?

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i like my DW link. but i may be changing out the rear and front shock at some point and maybe a new set of wheels. either that or deal with what i have and save the money for a new Pivot mach 5

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
I'm selling a medium Mach4...

it is my dream bike.

i just don't live in my dream land.

XO gripshift and RD...spot on accuracy.
XT hydros...feel better than any other brake and back it up with power.
XT crank...bang for the buck is phenomenal.
I9 j-bend hubs...120pt engagement.
Stans Arch rim...best rim Stans makes. Good for just about everything.

DW-link is the best suspension design. period.

there is not a thing I would change on this bike.

spurlicked

Monkey
Oct 9, 2007
Roseville
i like my DW link. but i may be changing out the rear and front shock at some point and maybe a new set of wheels. either that or deal with what i have and save the money for a new Pivot mach 5
I'm selling a medium Mach4...

it is my dream bike.

i just don't live in my dream land.

XO gripshift and RD...spot on accuracy.
XT hydros...feel better than any other brake and back it up with power.
XT crank...bang for the buck is phenomenal.
I9 j-bend hubs...120pt engagement.
Stans Arch rim...best rim Stans makes. Good for just about everything.

DW-link is the best suspension design. period.

there is not a thing I would change on this bike.
OK that's 2 for pivot... Anyone else? Maybe hard tail recommendations? I want to go light and nimble with the best fork I can afford. I'm definately leaning toward XT brakes and cranks

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I really like my Fox Forks. I have an F100RLC on my Hardtail (an Orbea D'ella which I LOVE), a Float 120RL on my SS and a 32 Talas on my Yeti 575 (which I think is my dream bike). I am also a big fan of my Tubeless wheels (Mavic CrossTrail and Crossmax).

I used to be an all SRAM girl, but I have the new XTR drivetrain and brakes on my Yeti and they work like a dream!

JGill

Monkey
Jul 7, 2008
Norman, OK
Don't skimp on wheels, fork, or brakes! Having to true wheels every month gets old, riding an underequipped fork gets pretty hairy sometimes, and smashing trees with your shoulder and thigh sucks too... I'd rather have a mid-level frame than have any of the aforementioned components be mid-level

spurlicked

Monkey
Oct 9, 2007
Roseville
Don't skimp on wheels, fork, or brakes! Having to true wheels every month gets old, riding an underequipped fork gets pretty hairy sometimes, and smashing trees with your shoulder and thigh sucks too... I'd rather have a mid-level frame than have any of the aforementioned components be mid-level
I'm with you on the fork. I'm seriously thinking about just upgrading what I have with some new components. Starting with the fork. Maybe new rear derailleur (I'm running a 1x8) and just keep adding from there. I like my frame just not all the old school and salvaged stuff on it. Only problem is that it's not disc brake compatible.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
I have a 29er rigid ss and I love it. I would like to swap the pedals for Time Atac's. I'm running Shimano pedals right now. And I would like to lighten it up a little more, currently sitting at 28.4 lbs.

I would also like more time to ride, where can I buy that?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think the question is what YOUR priorities are with the bike, rather than others' likes and dislikes...what are you planning on riding with it? Race? Long rides? All-out/casual? Technical/doubletrack/fireroad? What do you like/dislike about your current bike?

spurlicked

Monkey
Oct 9, 2007
Roseville
I think the question is what YOUR priorities are with the bike, rather than others' likes and dislikes...what are you planning on riding with it? Race? Long rides? All-out/casual? Technical/doubletrack/fireroad? What do you like/dislike about your current bike?
Probably wont race, but you never know. Casual and all-out. I love the technical stuff, fire roads and double track are only for getting to the single track for me. My last ride was on some long uphills followed by flowy single track. I want a bike that can go all day, is light weight and simple. Not interested in fully rigid (had enough of that in the 80's and 90's) but I think I'm leaning toward hard tail.

What do like about my current ride? Hard tail, 1x8, dialed-in rim brakes, decent tires (Larsen TT on the rear and a Michelin up front)

What I don't like? A little heavier than I want. A bunch of take off parts from a warranty bike, An old SID that I'm not sure if I like or not (feels like a pogo-stick) Mostly just that it's old and needs some upgrades.

So I'm thinking about replacing it. Just wanted to hear what others like about/dislike about their bikes. Things to avoid or look into etc...

Mostly interested in what components rock and which ones suck!
Disc Brakes
Rear Derailleur (still going to run only 1 ring up front)
Shifters
Cranks
Chain Guide

Where should I spend the money and where I can get away without going overboard.

My dream bike: Light and nimble, low maintenance, durable...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sounds like you like what I like.

I have an Evil Sovereign HT. I'd buy a Chromag Sakura if I was shopping for something new...light but technically-oriented. (Shortish stays, reasonably slack with a long fork, a little tighter HA with 3-4" travel.) Lighter than my Evil, anyhow.

If you're running rim brakes, 29" might be cool. I had my HT set up with a 29" front wheel on a rigid fork and it was sweet until it folded and sent me flying. But with a non-disc hub, you have a little more flange width and a supposedly stronger wheel.

I also thought my Mountain Cycle Rumble was a kickass techy XC bike with a Fox Talas up front. You can find those frames CHEAP if you can find them, and they're light, stiff, strong, and US-made.

MD

spurlicked

Monkey
Oct 9, 2007
Roseville
Sounds like you like what I like.

I have an Evil Sovereign HT. I'd buy a Chromag Sakura if I was shopping for something new...light but technically-oriented. (Shortish stays, reasonably slack with a long fork, a little tighter HA with 3-4" travel.) Lighter than my Evil, anyhow.

If you're running rim brakes, 29" might be cool. I had my HT set up with a 29" front wheel on a rigid fork and it was sweet until it folded and sent me flying. But with a non-disc hub, you have a little more flange width and a supposedly stronger wheel.

I also thought my Mountain Cycle Rumble was a kickass techy XC bike with a Fox Talas up front. You can find those frames CHEAP if you can find them, and they're light, stiff, strong, and US-made.

MD
I checked out the Cormag... Great geometry, but I'm not interested in steel. I like the feel of aluminum.

I would like to run disc brakes for all the obvious reasons.

...and I just read about the Rumble. I need to look into that! Think there's a 29er model?

"Equipped like this, it’s a really nimble and lively machine on the single track."

http://www.mountaincycle.com/2008/rumble-ride

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
On-one makes 26/29 AL models...there's the Santa Cruz Chameleon for 26...lots of options. Personally, I'd call/browse a shop like Speedgoat or someplace...

Ed: Sinister Ridge, Cove Stiffee...

Last edited: