Quantcast

What do you guys think about reversing a tire...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
change the rotation of the tire from what the manufacturer recomends.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Heidi
Why would you want to do that?
YOu can't tell her but each of the center nubs are angled on one side. They are fast but they can't climb. They just slip....
Maxxis Larsen TT's

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Fellow Monkey Skookum runs his Panaracer Smoke Classic rear tire in reverse. Years ago I would swap reverse my Bontrager Jones tires for wet or dry conditions. I say try it and see if it works - the idea is not all that radical.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Silver
Just flip it. If you don't like it, you can always flip it back. I found that tire worked a lot better on the rear run backwards.
They corner well and I was only going to flip the rears.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I know. Like I said, I found it worked better flipping the rear, but I'm riding dusty Socal conditions. Your terrain might not like it as much.

Remember to use soapy water on the bead when you're airing it back up or you might have a bitch of a time getting the beads to seal.

Just do it :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Silver
I know. Like I said, I found it worked better flipping the rear, but I'm riding dusty Socal conditions. Your terrain might not like it as much.

Remember to use soapy water on the bead when you're airing it back up or you might have a bitch of a time getting the beads to seal.

Just do it :)
Ok....
these are my first tubless tires... this has been quite the learning experience.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by stosh
YOu can't tell her but each of the center nubs are angled on one side. They are fast but they can't climb. They just slip....
Maxxis Larsen TT's

run them front and rear w/ the knob bitting into the ground instead of the tire kinda rolling on the angled part of the knob.....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by indieboy
run them front and rear w/ the knob bitting into the ground instead of the tire kinda rolling on the angled part of the knob.....
Why are you suggesting that, and what kind of riding do you usually do?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I run a Gazzaloddi backwards on the front of my DH bike. I always tell people that I feel it performs better that way for my style of riding. But really it's because I put it on backwards by mistake, and it's such a pain to get a Gazzaloddi off a 321 :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by stosh
Why are you suggesting that, and what kind of riding do you usually do?
that's the way the pythons are designed to run and they have a "similar" low profile knob. i know a lot of ppl who run them differently, like they'll run the front tire like i recommended then the rear backwards. everyone has different opinions. but i'd try them out like i said to, well if you were smart anyways :D lol jk, but seriously just check em out like that and see hwo you like em.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
jeebus hail-mary crab cakes, it's just a tire. flip it around and try for yourself. the reason you don't like the TT right now is because it's a piss-poor wet conditions tire.
I have a pair that i cut every second diagonal knob out of. much better in the wet, but for thsi time of year you'd be better off with a mimo, scorpion, or comp S. Also, run less pressure.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout
jeebus hail-mary crab cakes, it's just a tire. flip it around and try for yourself. the reason you don't like the TT right now is because it's a piss-poor wet conditions tire.
I have a pair that i cut every second diagonal knob out of. much better in the wet, but for thsi time of year you'd be better off with a mimo, scorpion, or comp S. Also, run less pressure.

Funny, I've ridden on the tires 3 times and I've never ridden in wet conditions...

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
Stosh, if I remember you are new to FS Bikes, right?

It takes a different approach/positioning in order to climb effectively on a FS Bike.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I have a pair that i cut every second diagonal knob out of. much better in the wet, but for thsi time of year you'd be better off with a mimo
that's the most intelegent thing i think i have heard you say yet.
the mimo is pretty much the same design principle except it has less and lower profile knobs.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Echo
I run a Gazzaloddi backwards on the front of my DH bike. I always tell people that I feel it performs better that way for my style of riding. But really it's because I put it on backwards by mistake, and it's such a pain to get a Gazzaloddi off a 321 :D
why dont you just flip the skewer around?
also i cannot find that tire, is it ramped? if stosh flips the tt around he's really going to reduce his braking power.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Originally posted by The Toninator
that's the most intelegent thing i think i have heard you say yet.
the mimo is pretty much the same design principle except it has less and lower profile knobs.
exactly, i know you are being facetious here but that is what makes a better mud tire.
you are just hopeless fatty:D

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
exactly, i know you are being facetious here but that is what makes a better mud tire.
you are just hopeless fatty:D
no i really meant that. the mimo's are GReat in mud i ran several races with them in total mud and they handled well. They did not however handle muddy wet rock climbs or decents well at all and were probably worse than pythons in those conditions because of the ramps and small knobs but they did well in all other conditions.
stop calling me names especially when you have NO clue what your talking about.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
no i really meant that. the mimo's are GReat in mud i ran several races with them in total mud and they handled well. They did not however handle muddy wet rock climbs or decents well at all and were probably worse than pythons in those conditions because of the ramps and small knobs but they did well in all other conditions.
Oh look tough guy getting all mad because someone called him names!!!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA

lets all go out back and see who can piss the farthest!:D

I'm egging you on, i know, but tires are so personal and regional that arguments like this are so great, it's like arguing yankee's v. redsox or ford v. chevy.
I do however take umbrage to your claim that i don't know what i'm talking about. it is a well established that i am omnipotent and have ulitmate power over all things bicycle.
well the above statement may not be entirely accurate i do know what works for me, and people who ride like me in conditons like me.
You are in houston right? They dirt there is markedly different than east coast dirt so of cours we are going to have different experinces.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
lets all go out back and see who can piss the farthest!:D

I'm egging you on, i know, but tires are so personal and regional that arguments like this are so great, it's like arguing yankee's v. redsox or ford v. chevy.
I do however take umbrage to your claim that i don't know what i'm talking about. it is a well established that i am omnipotent and have ulitmate power over all things bicycle.
well the above statement may not be entirely accurate i do know what works for me, and people who ride like me in conditons like me.
You are in houston right? They dirt there is markedly different than east coast dirt so of cours we are going to have different experinces.
i for one am willing to testify on behalf of capt knowing way more then one should now.....

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

i have said and have never had any doubt that you have used and broken a lot of stuff. you called me fat and that's just way off base and detracts from credibility.