Quantcast

What do you ride?

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
I need a show of hands for the best long travel rig for these parts.
I have a buddy that keeps saying " Sunday-Sunday-Sunday":thumb:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Good bikes for around here but I wouldn't buy one at this point. Iron horse no longer exists and as much stuff as I had to replace on that bike when I had one getting parts could be a nightmare.

It really depends on your needs. If you're planning on hitting windrock or sugar every weekend and travelling for races then a full on 8 inch race rig will fit the bill nicely. If you're just looking for some extra cush to have fun on in the forest you'll be a lot happier on a 6 or 7 inch rig. You might want to avoid some of the newer DH bikes that are super long/low/slack because we simply don't have the wide open world cup style tracks that those bikes are designed around.

bmbass

Chimp
Sep 20, 2010
Hippyville, NC
Moto you weren't kidding the other day were you, haha.

My vote would be for a Morewood Shova or Mbuzi if you want to stick with a single crown up front, Izimu for dc. Also have some buddies who ride SC Bullits and are pretty satisfied.

Crashtest

Chimp
Jan 26, 2010
Intense Uzzi...super adjustable...I use mine for my trail rig with 7.5in travel. Climbs like a billy goat and can moonlight as a downhill rig.

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Moto you weren't kidding the other day were you, haha. You missed a sweet ride Sunday.

My vote would be for a Morewood Shova or Mbuzi if you want to stick with a single crown up front(But single crowns are for pusses), Izimu for dc. Also have some buddies who ride SC Bullits and are pretty satisfied.
My Turner Sultan is so much more fun to ride than my singlespeed that is just collecting dust anyway. So I could sell the hardtail and get a downhill rig.
I'll talk about it for 3 weeks then I'll start to get twitchy and boom! pad up and head downhill:weee: I fixed your quote.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Moto you weren't kidding the other day were you, haha.

My vote would be for a Morewood Shova or Mbuzi if you want to stick with a single crown up front, Izimu for dc. Also have some buddies who ride SC Bullits and are pretty satisfied.

I've been very satisfied with both my shova and my izimu. Keep in mind the shova is really just a trailbike though, if you have a sultan I'd want more separation between the uses of the bikes. The izimu is sick, but don't plan on doing anything but shuttle runs or lifts with it. After owning an izimu, I'd definitely consider a morewood kalula for western NC "DH" riding. Most folks I know with Makulus say they're overkill for everything but the gnarliest, fastest trails. A kalula or mbuzi set up right would be a great "big bike" without being as cumbersome as a full on race bike.

Morewoods are overall great east coast bikes because of their balanced geo and generally small sizing. Single pivots are great for maintenance in the mud too (little to no maintenance! great for me:rolleyes:)

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Motobutane do you plan on pedaling uphill? Or are you considering a dh race bike? you can still find parts of sundays. The only thing I have had to replace is shock pins. You can find sunday frames on the cheap. Keep in mind they require a low leverage ratio/low compression shock tune. You can find parts on www.pearccycles.uk. As far as for trail riding I am loving my nomad. It does just fine in bike parks like snowshoe and recently survived Big Sky no problem.

0110-M-P

Monkey
Jun 1, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I love my older '07 Uzzi VPX for a do everything bike. I would love to get a dedicated DH bike and a dedicated trail bike, but for now a dual purpose bike will have to do.

I ride it with some single ply tires as is around the trails, then throw on the slacker drop outs and some DH tires to race with. My Uzzi will probably end up looking more like a dedicated DH bike next year though with a single chainring/guide.

Last edited:

motobutane

Monkey
Apr 27, 2010
WNC
Motobutane do you plan on pedaling uphill? Or are you considering a dh race bike? you can still find parts of sundays. The only thing I have had to replace is shock pins. You can find sunday frames on the cheap. Keep in mind they require a low leverage ratio/low compression shock tune. You can find parts on www.pearccycles.uk. As far as for trail riding I am loving my nomad. It does just fine in bike parks like snowshoe and recently survived Big Sky no problem.
Pedal=no, I've got some pedal bikes. So DH race it is! I'm gonna need alot of squish- I don't have Sugar_B skills.
Thanks for the website but its http://www.pearcecycles.co.uk/product_list/209

Last edited:

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I'm loving my Commencal supreme 1 (Non-dh only 6.3" travel) for the southeast races I've been to (Dirt birdy #2 and both beech). I'm by no means fast but in practice I can keep up with most people I'm behind, haven't finished well because I can't push myself riding by myself...

The bike has a very progressive leverage ratio so it still feels bottomless. I hucked the shoot to flat at dirty bird #2 which was probably around a 10' drop (someone chime in here, I suck at judging distance) and I couldn't even feel the rear bottoming.. my lyrik didn't fair so well though haha.

Still haven't ridden at windrock with it, but can't wait to at fall fest. I'm sure it won't hold me back at all since my reign didn't hold me back too much except in the turns.

Probably won't be hearing too many people agreeing with me since everyone seems to want an 8" rig, but I like being able to pedal too...

Sugar_brad

Monkey
Jun 20, 2009
Lol I am just a weekend warrior, I can't hang with the dirty bird crew. If you are looking for a mechanic owned and maintained medium 08 Sunday team I have one for sale. Are you looking to buy used or new?