Quantcast

What do you think about a World Cup at Whiteface?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I've got a friend racing Cat 3 at Whiteface this weekend. He said his target time is 10:30. That is definitely endurance DH. Pros are not likely to break 8 minutes it sounds like...

Regarding proximity, this did make me scratch my head at Windham. A couple of hours from the USA's largest city and turn out was "medium" for a World Cup. Most people there were locals or fans. So you'd get that just about anywhere...I think proximity to NYC had almost no effect for Windham apart from semi-convienient airport.
I suspect that the time difference between pro and cat 3 will be bigger then 2 minutes, but probably not bigger then 5. The trail would definitely have to be cut down.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Sorry I know nothing of the terrain you're all talking about but I'd just like to point out something, I used to be a Schladming or nothing kinda person for World Cups, if it wasn't uber tech/steep/fast I thought it was gonna be a **** race but after Canberra Worlds my views has been completlely skewed! What a race that was with all the bike tech and random **** being rolled out, how brilliant would it be if we had this kinda vibe going on every year with pro's rolling out different bikes for different styles of courses!

Also how ace would it be to see an urban WC, take the sport to the fans! Having raced an urban DH race in a fairly large city I tell you it is surreal! Everyone goes wild for the crazy feckers hurling themselves down steps etc! Everyone I talked to after the event was stoked and said they had no idea about downhill but thought it was amazing!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Sorry I know nothing of the terrain you're all talking about but I'd just like to point out something, I used to be a Schladming or nothing kinda person for World Cups, if it wasn't uber tech/steep/fast I thought it was gonna be a **** race but after Canberra Worlds my views has been completlely skewed! What a race that was with all the bike tech and random **** being rolled out, how brilliant would it be if we had this kinda vibe going on every year with pro's rolling out different bikes for different styles of courses!

Also how ace would it be to see an urban WC, take the sport to the fans! Having raced an urban DH race in a fairly large city I tell you it is surreal! Everyone goes wild for the crazy feckers hurling themselves down steps etc! Everyone I talked to after the event was stoked and said they had no idea about downhill but thought it was amazing!
For normal ppl who see urban races the fact if its a WC or not makes no differance so why make it part of the circut? What the sport needs now to make it big is to decide what it is, not be all over the map with gimmicks. I like what happened in Canberra but for strange setups just go for megaavalanche races, same for urban dh and even races like willingen - the pros liked the course for riding, not for racing.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
Haha actually the way people constantly try to define the sport is one of the most irritating things about it, stop trying to make it something, it's not a scene it's just riding/racing a bike down a hill as fast as possible, that's it in my eyes, it can be rough, smooth, jumpy, bermy, natural or through the middle of a city, it's all good in my eyes if the course flows and the racings tight.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Haha actually the way people constantly try to define the sport is one of the most irritating things about it, stop trying to make it something, it's not a scene it's just riding/racing a bike down a hill as fast as possible, that's it in my eyes, it can be rough, smooth, jumpy, bermy, natural or through the middle of a city, it's all good in my eyes if the course flows and the racings tight.
Im not trying to label it or define it but look at other sports? The mainstream part of it is pretty crystalised. There can be offshoots and new interesting stuff and I love it but I doubt we would see Polar Bear grinds for snowboard come next winter olypics. Not that I wouldnt want to see that, that would be awesome. I think you misunderstand me and think Im trying to do something to the sport overall. Im not im talking about the WC circut, its not just riding a bike down a hill (strangely enough every time I come with that mindset to a race I end up going slower than my friends who are focused).

As for the scene thing - if you want the sport to become more popular a scene can be good. Its easier to promote a sport as a lifestyle than saying - you know, its just a bunch of guys with nothing in common riding bikes. Though I can see that some ppl may want to keep the sport a bit undergound.
It will happen sooner or later though. Most of the sales is driven by fashionable kids who want to be pro and they, like it or not, are the main driving force behind where we go from here.