Quantcast

What do you think about when you're racing?

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
So, what goes in your mind during your DH race runs? I usually think about what's coming up next, remind myself to pedal and a few choice swear words when I mess up.

Here's some expressions from some racers during this past weekends DH race

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Ha nice shots. Seeing as I've just started racing I just keep think, be smooth flow, be snooth flow, be smooth flow, be smooth flow. But I'm sure I look just as silly as those guys.

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
i think about how much fun i am having, and how awesome it feels when i hit something perfectly smooth, and can hardly feel the landing cuz its sooo smooth.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I try to limit my thought to thinking about how I pinned my practice runs and the stuff that I repeated over and over in my head before I raced. Thinking too hard makes me crash.

I was at Big Bear doing my second run of 2, and my first run sucked. I was pinning everything on my second run, going a lot faster than my first one, and I thought to myself, hey, I'm doing a lot better than the first time! Then I stacked. I got the exact same time on both my runs.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I think (thought) about what was for lunch, or why is my hair so f-ing hideous, why do birds sing so gay, why did they put this stupid rock section in here, why is there an uphill, ugh, man-I need to train more, Holy Crap Kight and Cully just passed me fast-whew, I need to fix this derailler, why does this fork feel like crap, I need to loosen my pedals, seat is too low, man King just passed me fast, wonder if brakes on my trailer are going to fail, holy crap Lopes and Donovan just went by me fast-Screw it-I suck. I quit DH.

hotcarl

Chimp
Feb 11, 2004
don't crash, don't crash,don't crash, don't crash,don't crash, don't crash,don't crash, don't crash,don't crash, don't crash,don't crash, don't crash,don't crash, don't crash,don't crash, don't crash,don't crash, don't crash,don't crash, don't crash

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
I talk to myself when I'm racing. I always think about how I will feel all better at the finish line so I should pedal my ass off till then!

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
While in the gate, I relax, just try and take it easy, maybe crack some jokes with the others at the top. During my run, however, the only time I EVER think, is when I have to pass someone. When I think, I loose my concentration on the trail, and ball up. Funny, the races I've done the best at are the ones where I was sitting out of the gate coasting, and can only put together parts of the run in my mind.

IFL

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
DK Land
I keep thinking Im gonna nail everything clean and win! But usually you have to go through sections way faster than you're comfortable with, so I will go through parts of the course thinkin damn that was fast! Then if Im goin to slow I think geez my sponsors pay me for this? I need to pick it up! Haha

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i always feel like im thinking about nothing and everything all at the same time. Nothing else ever does that for me. Im usually not thinking about anything but racing my bike on that given course at that given time, but am thinking about that so much that theres a ton going on. But its wierd because its not like its real hard thought, its more just a series of clicks section after section. Its wierd too, i usually find myself counting out the seconds ive lost after i screw up

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Chris Herndon gave me the best advice I've ever gotten. He said take it nice and relaxed through the first couple of turns, then accelerate to the finish. One of the biggest mistakes to FLY out of the start gate and get all ragged, which leads to blown corners and loss of confidence. So I just start out nice and smooth and think to myself stay consistant. Don't relax in sections but keep a constant pace all the way down, just keep pinning.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i always think about how my body feels, my biggest problem is being to tense , so i try to keep it limber and enjoy the ride

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...well after looking at those pictures on the first page, I'm guessing the guy NOT wearing a full-face helmet isn't thinking much of ANYTHING. :eek:

I mainly try to think about my line, and how I ran it during the practice runs... conditions usually change a lot after many riders tear it up, so I adjust as I go... Everything else I just leave to muscle memory / autopilot... Still need to practice a LOT more to be better at doing that.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I usaully only think of a few bullet points like........
"Make sure i shift up here" or
"Remember to be left of this rock" or
"Sprint here".....because maybe i wont be pedalling for awhile.....

after that i just hope to maintain focus and aggression all the way down but sometimes the weirdest thing will distract you like a bird chirping, someone in a weird colored shirt, or a new meaningless noise on your bike......

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I pretend there is a really big bear chasing after me and if I slow down or crash he'll eat me. It works! ;)

Calm down, concentrate on flow and try not to over do the pedaling at the start.

Doesn't hearing the start beeps send the weirdest primal sensation through your body? I feel trippy before start time.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I always tell myself a trick I learned in motocross...stare at the farthest point you can see in your vision. If it's a turn never look at it...look at the exit...at the exit...look for the next turn. It slows the course down so much and you;'re never surprised...plus you're less likely to stare at a stump and go right for it.
Oh...and I usually think:
Jeremy's sitting down
Doug's thinking too much
Ben doesn't care
Terry's dizzy
Garritt's too hyper
Julian's chillin
Conto is laughing
McCoy is too amped
Bloch is Skeered
Brady's analyzing crap
JeffD's not her
Ashley's cleaning his bike
Sumpter retired
Tyler's surfin'
JP wishes he was me
Wyatt is a lunatic
Matt blames himself
Thacker's asleep
TomV is mellowin' out
Oh **** - Haley's here.
Taylor probably wrecked
John couldn't make it
Christian's lazy
Coffee is not sober
Cecil retired...:D

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
S.K.C. said:
...well after looking at those pictures on the first page, I'm guessing the guy NOT wearing a full-face helmet isn't thinking much of ANYTHING. :eek: .
This guy is probably thinking about not taking a digger into the many rocks and trees on the course....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I think about the course trying to remember the lines im supposed to be on, and if im off line, how to get back on line. you also have to remember to tell yourself to breathe, to pedal,or not to pedal. I also think about water and air and how good there gonna be in just a few minutes......

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
I listen to a rad song until it gets stuck in my head then on my race run im riding to the music in my head and magicly the song matches the race run. for slower rooty rutted courses I use mellow music like jazz with a fast complex beat, for courses that are fast I have to be hittin the turns at 75% race speed I liten to loud tunes like pennywise or Bad reiglon. and just before a run I listen to Moter by Danzig "Mother, tell your childern not to ride in my way" that song makes a good practice run song and yes I have been kno to sing while racing

say 10

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
NH
Dirt rider said:
I listen to a rad song until it gets stuck in my head then on my race run im riding to the music in my head and magicly the song matches the race run. for slower rooty rutted courses I use mellow music like jazz with a fast complex beat, for courses that are fast I have to be hittin the turns at 75% race speed I liten to loud tunes like pennywise or Bad reiglon. and just before a run I listen to Moter by Danzig "Mother, tell your childern not to ride in my way" that song makes a good practice run song and yes I have been kno to sing while racing
hahaha, I do the same thing during practice, just trying to stay relaxed, I sing whatever song I have in my head.... but by race time, it's a different story, I just need to relax as I over think.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Good Run-Wow this is fun just like practice, whew wee!, pedal, peda,l pedal , breath breath breath, pre jump obstacle ahead, yeah this is awesome, I am having a good run etc.

Bad Run-Go Faster Faster, you can win, you can win, **** I just blew that corner, go even faster faster etc.

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
initially its go go go go go go
alot of swearing if any mistakes are made
alot of hollaring and hooting if its a good run or section
telling myself "relax retard"
looking for reminders to cue certain lines
not hitting the brakes

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
For some reason I always say to myself the intro to an old Metro Stylee song "Evil Eyes" as I roll out of the start gate "Here comes the pain!"...

-ska todd

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
well i usually remember my notes on pedaling and whats next, ie look ahead
but i think in the end its like pedal pedal pedal...wtf i am tired....pedal...

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I know a certain individual who thinks about whether he'd look better in clipless or regular shoes... :blah:

I think about... not much. At the gate, I never feel anxiety (maybe that's why I suck?). I don't care a whole lot about how I place, etc, so there's no need to feel anxious. I'm just there for a good time. While I'm riding, usually a song gets stuck in my head, so I think about that and the trail...

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
By the end of the run I'm usually thinking about whether the lactic acid will make me barf in my helmet... and wishing I hadn't had those few quiet drinks the night before.

In the start gate is where I actually have time to think and that just makes me more nervous and ride all tight on the bike. So I try not to get in the gate too early and just chat with the other scared looking guys in the start queue.

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
XC-I wonder if i could jump off that quickly
DH-I wonder how much air i could get off that, maybe if i went fast enough i could clear the whole rock garden hmm
4X-I dont know what you heard about me but ya cant getta dolla outta me blah blah blah blah blah cause im a mother F***** P.I.M.P....i wonder if i could pull a superman off that table