Quantcast

What do you think of Pro riders having websites?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I'm wondering if anyone ever visits sites like this at all? Not a pro rider's bio page on the overall team website, but the rider themselves having a dedicated URL just to them, outside of their respective team. Here's the scoop: I have a good friend that is a bona fide "pro guy", and he and I have talked about putting together a site for him to help land sponsors and such.

First off, a few examples:

http://www.nathanrennie.net/
http://www.brianlopes.com/
http://www.stevepeat.com/
http://www.jefflenosky.com/
http://www.annecaro.com/

It seems to be a pretty prevelant phenomenon in the gravity cycling world, but not as much on the XC side of things. I tried searching for Travis Brown, Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski, Geoff Kabush and Ned Overend, and all I found was bio pages on their team's websites, nothing dedicated to them individually.

So what do you guys think? Cheesy and dumb? Cool and informative? Helpful in the quest for sponsorship? I'd like to set up a sort of "blog" or race journal, that way his sponsors can check in on the site from time to time and see results, musings, photos, that kind of thing. You know, the standard stuff.

Thanks!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Full Trucker said:
I'd like to set up a sort of "blog" or race journal, that way his sponsors can check in on the site from time to time and see results, musings, photos, that kind of thing. You know, the standard stuff.

Thanks!
i think you're on the right track, just as long as their's more cowbell too.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
For guys like Lopes and Lenosky who do demos and sell products, it makes perfect sense. For the other guys, why the heck not? If nothing else it keeps net squatters from taking their names.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
riderx said:
Pervert... :D

Totally kidding... I've been known to lurk on the Niki Gudex site a time or two my d@mn self. Thanks for all the input guys! I'll get that project rolling here in a few weeks, and let you know how it turns out... And by "let you know how it turns out" I really mean "I'll mercilessly and unabashadly SPAM the RM boards to bolster hits on my friend's site when it's done."

:D

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I don't see why they shouldn't have their own dedicated sites, but the place that designed the site for Lopes should have all their computers confiscated, bi*chslapped HARD and never be allowed to design another site ever again. That's one of the most hideous sites I've seen in a while...

I have faith that the Trucker will do better.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
I like checking 'em out. Little bummed when a rider I'm looking for doesn't have one, or one I can easily locate. Kinda bugs me when they aren't updated with some regularity but I imagine most of them are done by the riders themselves or by friends as a favor, so it's sorta understandable. Always return to the slick looking ones. There are a couple blogs I'll read, and others I use as sleeping aids.

No doubt Truckly's friends site will be in good hands.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
pixelninja said:
I don't see why they shouldn't have their own dedicated sites, but the place that designed the site for Lopes should have all their computers confiscated, bi*chslapped HARD and never be allowed to design another site ever again. That's one of the most hideous sites I've seen in a while...

:stupid:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
My gf wants a site to show to existing and potential sponsors. We were going to do it last year, but ran out of gas, so to speak. The sponsorship process took so long that we began to cut good ideas that did not need to happen. Hopefully this year will be different.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
If it is done cleanly and is a benefit to the racers ability to get sponsorship deals or communicate with fans....I say go for it!

Care should be taken to be relatively PC and talk positively on the site if sponsorship possibilities are going to look at the site as part of the decision process. I would think that talking down or being negative on the site will not assist you in your quest for a hard earned sponsors dollar. Personal opinion and arguements are better left offline and not connected to the site at all.

Treat it as a tool for wich it was intended and all should be well.

Rhino

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Full Trucker said:
I'm wondering if anyone ever visits sites like this at all? Not a pro rider's bio page on the overall team website, but the rider themselves having a dedicated URL just to them, outside of their respective team. Here's the scoop: I have a good friend that is a bona fide "pro guy", and he and I have talked about putting together a site for him to help land sponsors and such.

First off, a few examples:

http://www.nathanrennie.net/
http://www.brianlopes.com/
http://www.stevepeat.com/
http://www.jefflenosky.com/
http://www.annecaro.com/

It seems to be a pretty prevelant phenomenon in the gravity cycling world, but not as much on the XC side of things. I tried searching for Travis Brown, Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski, Geoff Kabush and Ned Overend, and all I found was bio pages on their team's websites, nothing dedicated to them individually.

So what do you guys think? Cheesy and dumb? Cool and informative? Helpful in the quest for sponsorship? I'd like to set up a sort of "blog" or race journal, that way his sponsors can check in on the site from time to time and see results, musings, photos, that kind of thing. You know, the standard stuff.

Thanks!
YO FOOL!!!

a lot of pro's are using the blog system for that exact reason. it's more or less guys who race road though. i know tim johnson has one and magen long does as well. but eric saunders who races for ofoto has a BADDDDDDDDASS website. he basically spends what time he has off the bike on this website, and honest to god it's one of the funniest sites you'll see all year. he takes photos from races and photoshops the shiet out of em.......check it out. www.ericsaunders.com

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
indieboy said:
YO FOOL!!!

a lot of pro's are using the blog system for that exact reason. it's more or less guys who race road though. i know tim johnson has one and magen long does as well. but eric saunders who races for ofoto has a BADDDDDDDDASS website. he basically spends what time he has off the bike on this website, and honest to god it's one of the funniest sites you'll see all year. he takes photos from races and photoshops the shiet out of em.......check it out. www.ericsaunders.com

Dude, that link is to some nature photographers site.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
pixelninja said:

I just checked it out... the site could do with an overhaul. I have seen worse though... waaaaaay worse. (Like my own web pages)

Thoughts...
1) Don't use a flash intro page. It's just e-masturbation. "Great, now we know that you own the Flash application!"
2) Don't use a dark background for text. On a personal web page it's cool but not on a professional page. Not everyone has perfect eyesight.
3) On the home page take all that text below and move it to a new page. I would make the home page just that. A HOME page. More than 3 scrolls to get to the bottom = bad
4) Make it fit the width of the page.
I liked the navigation header. Looks good. I would use different fonts as well... just to jazz it up a bit.

Back on topic... I think that everyone should have a web site. They are cheap (often free) and an easy way to disseminate information.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Strictly as a fan, I don't want to go any site if all it is a bio and a few pictures from 1999.

I want to see current blog entries, preferably dishing the dirt. I used to look at Wade Bootes site every month when he was racing in America, because he keeps his journal site up to date. I used to look at Mike Creed's site as well, who b*tched out everyone (should have seen his Redlands post), until he got sick. And I would track down Mark Weir's entries at Santa Cruz because he writes well.

I really don't care about a rider's sponsors. It might be important to the sponsor, but the more experienced fan/rider will buy what he wants, not because so-so rides it. I suppose Trek might disagree with that philosophy, but I don't surf pro rider sites to hear about their opinion about products they get paid to use.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
pixelninja said:

new lopes site coming soon to an intarweb near you.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
We recently made one for Carlin Dunne. It's www.carlindunne.com it is simple but clean and effective. It has a slideshow photo gallery, list of upcoming events, contact page and of course a bio. It also has a diary feature that Carln can log in to from anywhere in the world and update in just a few minutes. That's a great feature because not only does it reduce my workload but it also keeps the site fresh and gives it realness.

I think personal websites are a great tool for riders to stoke their sponsors and promote themselves which in the end keeps them sponsored. Without a doubt it can only help.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
pro sites seem rather lame to me. i see them as a person way too stuck on themselves. not always the case, that's just how i see it.

but i'm not a pro trying to push my sponsors.

i like team sites, though, especially ones that are updated often, and have decent pictures/ biographies of the team riders.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Pro cycling is a business.
The riders are essentialy independant contractors to the equipment manufacturers.
And as in any business you need to advertise your wares to get customers and hense income. I would say that their advertiseing is very low key/low saturation, insanely low in comparison to the size of the industry........Or is it any advertising by any business that you are annoyed with? :confused:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Transcend said:
hey man, what gallery software did you use on that site? I have seen it a couple of places and dig it - especially rights management wise.
Slide Show Pro

punkassean said:
We recently made one for Carlin Dunne. It's www.carlindunne.com it is simple but clean and effective... <snip>
Very nice site, I dig it. Simple like you said, but effective. I saw something though in the meta tags, looks like theres a description from a different site in there? Super good site though! I especially like the fancy replacement font for all the entry headers... slick!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
pixelninja said:

everytime i look at it i think the exact same thing...minus the trucker part :evil:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i think its a good way for people to keep track of there favorite riders and see what they have been up too every season. I personally dont see myself frequenting the site but an occasional browse through may occur.
I believe it would be something a teenager may use more

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
punkassean said:
We recently made one for Carlin Dunne. It's www.carlindunne.com it is simple but clean and effective. It has a slideshow photo gallery, list of upcoming events, contact page and of course a bio. It also has a diary feature that Carln can log in to from anywhere in the world and update in just a few minutes. That's a great feature because not only does it reduce my workload but it also keeps the site fresh and gives it realness.

I think personal websites are a great tool for riders to stoke their sponsors and promote themselves which in the end keeps them sponsored. Without a doubt it can only help.
The gallery is frikkin nice. To second Transcends question; What software is that?