• Definatly different

Votes: 22 22.9%
  • Looks ugly

Votes: 42 43.8%

• Total voters

VERT1

Chimp
Mar 1, 2006
Have been seeing more and more bikes that look different to the norm lately, what do you guys think of the new 2007 GT DHi?

More pics Here

Attachments

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
I like it. I had the original DH-i, the blue one and I loved that bike. So quiet and it worked well...too bad about the swingarm always having huge stress concentrations above the BB.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I think some people on here discussed this a while ago when pics were available from Interbike...

To me - I kinda like it.

But then again one could easily argue that if a Storm Trooper from "Star Wars" rode DH - this would be his bike.

I look forward to the "Lord Vader" Edition in all black plastic fairing.:)

ryan/kona29

Monkey
Dec 2, 2005
bonney lake washington
doesn't look to bad......the carbon fiber seat mount, or what ever that black thing is needs to be apart of the original frame, white. whats the travel??? i'd give it a 7-10rate

P.S. reminds me of the mountaincycle 9.5

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
In all fareness I think you'll find that snapped one is a lighter prototype.The models for the public will be beefier.None the less it's still a snapped frame.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Eggzoi said:
Looks fine to me, I'm all about performance.
This however concerns me. Kink could be a weak point.
Well that bike did get run straight into an immovable object at high speed. What else would you expect to happen?

I spoke to Bryn about the prototype earlier this year, he said that it was really nice. He reckoned that it rode like the old i-Drive but a tiny bit lower BB, and it's lighter. His bike (which was built with something similar to what's in that pic) WAS very light to pick up (as dh bikes go).

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
on the spanish forum where i saw that folded frame posted, the guys who had seen it happen from the sidelines, said no way it was the frames fault, rider apparently slammed into a double or road gap, cant remember.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
That folded bike was an old proto (thin walled for starters) and also (as Vitox said) was slammed so hard into something, I don't know if other bikes would have held up.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
vitox said:
stikman is that "so cal speed" sticker on top of the seatstay the 21st century version of the table tennis logo?
No idea what they were getting at with so cal speed???, but I will ad the ping pong decals were about the lamest thing ever.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
peachy said:
is that an adjustable BB? depending on the "bone" u use?
That would be great if it was. You could raise and lower the BB and shorten or lengthen the chain stay.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
bballe336 said:
That would be great if it was. You could raise and lower the BB and shorten or lengthen the chain stay.
If you take a careful look, you'll see the BB is attached to the swingarm and front triangle, and it's position is governed by where the swingarm is in it's travel.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Superdeft said:
So the BB moves with the swingarm, interesting.
Just like the i-drives of old...I have an '03 (or '04...can't remember) i-Drive XC frame hangin' in my garage...(went through 3 of those frames...warranties of course...now I think I'll build it for a buddy of mine who's starting out...) this design looks the same (dogbone) they just got rid of the BB eccentric design that was prone to issues from being one of the most stressed pieces (The BB eccentric was the failure point of 2 of the 3 busted one's for me....just cracked in half!!!) The old i-drive pedaled amazingly, was prone to brake jack (locked out the suspension...not squatted...), and did a decent job for me as an XC training ride....I'd like to get some time on one of these new DHi's though....just to make the comparison to my new Rotec....(and to see how much better my bike is!!! :rofl: I keeed, I keeed!)

steelewheels

Monkey
Oct 26, 2001
The derailuer hanger looks a wimpy, but im excited to see if it rides like the ol'idrve which i loved. The carbon seat mass might make it hard to adjust the shock.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
they had a few team bikes at fort bill,they where in blut and they looked horrible but in the hite i knda like them.They looked like they track the ground awesome up there.
Will just have to wait and see what happens once they come out.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Superdeft said:
If you take a careful look, you'll see the BB is attached to the swingarm and front triangle, and it's position is governed by where the swingarm is in it's travel.
Look closer. The BB is attached to the swingarm so it doesn't bob while pedalling. But it remains in the same position throughout the travel. It is riding on some type of bearings and that link piece would prevent it from moving with the swingarm. It is attached but independent at the same time if that makes sense.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Design looks sweet. Seems like it could pedal very well because of they way the BB shell is arranged and such.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
if the geometry is reasonable with something like a 65* ha, 14" bb, 17.25" stays id consider riding one

kohoy

Chimp
May 1, 2006
sweet bike... really wanna have a ride with it and see if I wanna buy one....hehe

the F.H.B

Monkey
Jun 2, 2006
Syd, Australia
I checked out the prototype Bryn had out in Aus back in december and it was super light! Im sure they will have put some bulk on by production but if the team ones are as light as the proto then I reckon we havent seen the last of the snapped GT photos.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
bballe336 said:
Look closer. The BB is attached to the swingarm so it doesn't bob while pedalling. But it remains in the same position throughout the travel. It is riding on some type of bearings and that link piece would prevent it from moving with the swingarm. It is attached but independent at the same time if that makes sense.
I think we agree here, do you think the bb stays in place with respect to the front triangle or the swingarm? The latter would mean no chain growth, but I'm unsure as to what that might also do to pedaling.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Superdeft said:
I think we agree here, do you think the bb stays in place with respect to the front triangle or the swingarm? The latter would mean no chain growth, but I'm unsure as to what that might also do to pedaling.
The botom bracket stays in place with respect to the front triangle. The position it is in in the pictures is where it would stay regardless of swingarm position.

If you look you can see that the BB piece is riding on some type of bearing. And that link is connected from the BB to the mainframe so it couldn't move with the swingarm.

Maybe the BB moves a little bit but it could not move parallel to the swingarm because of that link piece.