• Looks ugly

Votes: 42 43.8%

• Total voters

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
bballe336 said:
The botom bracket stays in place with respect to the front triangle. The position it is in in the pictures is where it would stay regardless of swingarm position.

If you look you can see that the BB piece is riding on some type of bearing. And that link is connected from the BB to the mainframe so it couldn't move with the swingarm.

Maybe the BB moves a little bit but it could not move parallel to the swingarm because of that link piece.
What would be the purpose of i-drive if the bottom bracket stayed in place with respect to the front triangle? So yes, the bottom bracket does move (but not much)

Here's a graphic to help your understanding:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the F.H.B said:
I reckon we havent seen the last of the snapped GT photos.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I've always thought it was a cool concept, but am I the only one who thinks this looks like a substantial amount of chain growth?

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
jonKranked said:

I've always thought it was a cool concept, but am I the only one who thinks this looks like a substantial amount of chain growth?
Not really, I'd say the chaingrowth is pretty average.

I'm working on getting the graphic a little bit bigger...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
jonKranked said:

My "guess" is that it has less chain growth than a static BB single and a pivot with the same swingarm pivot location.

...and more than a concentric pivot bike.;)

Never liked a BB moving on me....reminds me of riding the old Y bikes :D

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
WheelieMan said:
What would be the purpose of i-drive if the bottom bracket stayed in place with respect to the front triangle? So yes, the bottom bracket does move (but not much)

Here's a graphic to help your understanding:

That makes sense. Thanks for posting that.

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
"Looking good GT
Looky Good"

but in 07' get ride of that little link near the bottom bracket.
gonna develop play and ovalize the game.
that thing is the weaklink in my experience.

GT, nothing wrong with a singlepivot. dont be afraid GT.

Wee Man

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005
Aotearoa
This bike reminds me of a Seahorse...not sure if that is a good thing:wonky2:

But like many have said - looks aren't everything!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
jonKranked said:
Actually the idea is to get minimized chain growth despite the high pivot style without doing a Y-bike style URT. The bb moves more than if attached to the front triangle but less than if attached to the swingarm. You get the benefits of a high pivot placement but only a portion of the usual chain growth and feedback when using that style.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
CBJ said:
A lot of frames would bend if run them into a wall at high speed - something got to go when the **** hits the fan.
Agreed, but that front wheel looks to be in near perfect shape. On most bikes that wheel will be the weak point in a head on collision. I doub't that particular wheel is any stronger, therefore I would think that frame is weaker than average.

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
maxyedor said:
Agreed, but that front wheel looks to be in near perfect shape. On most bikes that wheel will be the weak point in a head on collision. I doub't that particular wheel is any stronger, therefore I would think that frame is weaker than average.
You have to remember that if he hit it head on, the wheel will be incredibly strong, because there is very little bending. However, in the same sitiuation the head tube will see a very large bending moment...and that is why the frame broke. Sometimes the wheel is not the weak member, that is why a lot of frames break at the head tube. If you saw where he crashed I am sure you would say that any frame would have been torn apart.

OddArne

Chimp
Apr 12, 2002
Trondheim, Norway
I quote the designer from GT Tech division from a meeting yesterday: "Production bikes will have a lot more beef than the bike Bryn was riding when he crashed".

Supposedly, wall thickness was reduced a lot for his proto, and he also hit a vertical obstactle straight on when folding the frame. I've seen BigHits doing the same thing.

Riding: Since we already have those bikes in stock here, the feedback from racers is that it is light (sub 40lbs) and pedalling better than the old DHI. Looking at the bike in action is awesome, I think you should give it the benefit of doubt if you haven't seen it in flesh yet.

To me, a lot of US guys seem to border to being resent-/hateful towards GT for some reason, but fact is that the DHI design still should be reckoned as one of the best designs available. The new version of i-Drive suspension reduces chain growth to a minimum over single pivot designs, personally I do not notice chain growth on this bike (speaking of VPP designs, though...)

Just a fact on GT suspension and warranties: Frame failures on the i-Drive 5 (trailbike based on the same system) are almost non-existent. There were some flexplate bolt issues, but that was fixed by improving the bolt design. I have discussed failure rates with GT, and they know that the old DHI design swingarm has it weaknesses. Computer analysis and real world testing is extensive for all new designs - they are as aware as anyone of previous problems.

To me, people in this forum seem to be among the most conservative and backward-looking people out there - heavily prejudiced based on history instead of looking at what is laid in front of them and looking forward. Why not give it a chance and bitch twice as much and saying "I love to say I told you so" when your assumptions are correct? This is a helluva bike and deserves a chance :)

L

luelling

I liked my original DHI, I like my Mongoose, and I will probably get the new DHI when it comes out (the shop I ride for deals em). I do have to admit its ugly as hell though......I thought the same bout my Mongoose though. I'll take killer ride thats ugly over pretty ****ty ride any day.

vpsaline

Monkey
Feb 11, 2006
The bike looks fast, no doubts, but it still looks fragile. Probably just another lightning fast bullet which should be disposed of entirely after each race and replaced with a new frame. Im also disapointed that they didnt incorporate their Internal Transmission. Now that would have made sense. If they kept the weight down of course. But only then can I understand people buying a 07 DHi, a poor-man's Honda RN01 :)