Votes: 1 1.2%
  • stock protector that came on the bike

Votes: 7 8.4%
  • custom/other

Votes: 14 16.9%

• Total voters

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
walmart pipetape self adhesive $6 a roll and works better than anything to date.

Doesnt leave adhesive behind either and takes a beating from shoes and other stuff hitting it.
Im on my way to buy some tonight...
Ill post the info in 20 minutes when Im back...

Here it is , its actually in the plumbing section now!

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
where the derailleur hits I use about a 1.5" piece of road bike tire. just about the right shape to fit nicely on the frame and is enough of a bump stop for the derailleur banging whereas some thinner stuff i tried was still noisy and wore through. i think some frames like specializeds come with a little specially made rubber pad for that.

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
where the derailleur hits I use about a 1.5" piece of road bike tire. just about the right shape to fit nicely on the frame and is enough of a bump stop for the derailleur banging whereas some thinner stuff i tried was still noisy and wore through. i think some frames like specializeds come with a little specially made rubber pad for that.
You sir have an outdated derrailleur.

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
i prefer the soft velcro side or a good cloth handlebar tape.
and the cloth handlebar tape actually lasts? what kind do you use? i tried this once with the specialized barphat tape and after one afternoon at diablo the chain had rubbed clean through to the metal underneath. it looks fantastic, much better than a tube, but it got ruined really quickly for me.

Squam_DH

Chimp
Feb 24, 2009
Mastic. Next to the electical tape at home depot.
Does chain slap wear through it? How does it handle hosewater?

I was looking at this stuff at the hardware store. Velcro never works whenever i use it and I can't bare the thought of putting cut-up tube on my new bike.

fl1ppo

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Frankfurt, Ger
Jet Ski sticky backed foam.

Blaam!!:
What kind of stuff exactly is that? Looks interesting.

Edit: I use a good old neoprene chainprotector. After trying several things I have to say, its probably still the best. It's quiet and easy to install/remove...

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
and the cloth handlebar tape actually lasts? what kind do you use? i tried this once with the specialized barphat tape and after one afternoon at diablo the chain had rubbed clean through to the metal underneath. it looks fantastic, much better than a tube, but it got ruined really quickly for me.
i cant remember the brand i used to use, but it held up very well. it was a heavy duty cloth that was velox rim strip-like.

ill see if i can find a picture of it

I prefer industrial velcro.
i just picked up some heavy duty 2" wide velcro from Lowes tonight.

Last edited:

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
From my experience:

Soft side of velcro : good looking, very silent, to change after 1-2 day of riding, very hard to remove and leave nasty residue.

Hard side of velcro : not ''race looking'', not very silent, durable, very hard to remove and leave nasty residue.

Bar tape : Very good looking, easy to install, very silent, to change after 1 day of riding, very easy to remove and does not leave any residue (or they are easily removable with zippo fuel)

Lizard skins : good looking, very very easy to install, silent, to change after a 3-4 days of riding, very very easy to remove and does not leave any residue at all.

Inner tube : looks ok if installed properly, easy to install, not so silent, can tough an entire season, very easy to remove and does not leave any residue.

I haven't found the perfect material yet.

Dox

Monkey
Aug 26, 2009
Montreal, QC, Canada
I'm using soft side velcro but I plan on trying this.Framewrap Something actually made to protect the frame.

Edit: this might be the perfect material:
Framewrap.com said:
Easily Applied
Self-Fusing, No Messy Adhesive, Just Stretch & Wrap

Easily Removed
No Sticky Residue

Durable
Waterproof & Oil Resistant
Stays On Until You Take It Off

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm using soft side velcro but I plan on trying this.Framewrap Something actually made to protect the frame.

Edit: this might be the perfect material:
ive used that before and its torn on me pretty easily

Lizard skins : good looking, very very easy to install, silent, to change after a 3-4 days of riding, very very easy to remove and does not leave any residue at all.
lizards skins are great when they dont move around. the ones that come on Sessions or Demos are great

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
another vote for mastic tape. been using it for years and never lets you down. also works for downtube protection

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
Used Industrial soft side velcro last year all year. Take off the residue with gu gone. Just installed new velcro over it anyway so who cares about residue.
I don't know what you put it through if it wore through in a few days.
Must not be the industrial? Also very light, lost 80grams over the lizard skinz I had on the stays on my last bike.

$BMFB$

Chimp
Oct 28, 2008
ive used that before and its torn on me pretty easily
I had the same problem with the Framewrap, so I got the 3M stuff at home depot. Its the exact same concept as the Framewrap but its about twice as thick so it lasts a lot longer. I think it was even the same price.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
Does chain slap wear through it? How does it handle hosewater?

I was looking at this stuff at the hardware store. Velcro never works whenever i use it and I can't bare the thought of putting cut-up tube on my new bike.
Chain slap is not a problem. Hosewater doesn't affect it whatsoever.

Seriously, it's the best. So easy to work with, sticks incredibly (as long as the chainstay is clean), deadens slap sound.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Another vote for the Mastic tape. After 2.5 full years on my frame, the chain had just barely worn through one spot. Pretty tough stuff, quiet enough, doesn't look like hell, cheap.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
+1 for mastic tape....just put it on my new frame, so I will see if it lasts. Went on really easy and looks decent.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I use the heavy-duty velcro..........soft side. I had to replace one section on the seatstay of my demo last year. Its very quiet, great protection, looks ok, is easy to clean, its cheap, and very light. It is a SOB to take off when you need to though.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ok, dumb question, but are you wrapping that around the chainstay or just using strips? Looks like a nice solution.
You wrap it around the stay, it adhers to itself. Simple light and pretty damn tough stuff.
The thinner stuff is what Ive used from walmart i might go to homedepot and get the thicker 3M stuff now and give it a shot. Not had a problem with the thinner stuff but a little extra isnt going to hurt a thing.

Take tire off and then just wrap around...:thumb:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Just wrap it like a tube, but it sticks to itself and basically becomes one piece. I decided to try the 3M from Home Depot. It was really easy to put on and is the best solution I have seen so far.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
A bunch of people here in the PNW use this stuff called "plywrap" its basically just a adhesive rubber, most use it on their chain/seat stays and downtube. I use industrial velcro and camelback hose around the der cable as well, its surprising how much covering the der cable quiets the bike.