Quantcast

What does it mean when Platty is wet

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
Im going up for the weekend looks like its going to rain up till Friday...........................................................................................................is plattekill sh*tty when wet?

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
It means you will probably crash, you will definitely be muddy and you will definitely still have fun :D

Actually don't trust me, I haven't ridden there since 2000

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
It drains REALLY well. It POURED the night before and you could tell by the puddles in the parking lot, yet i couldent tell on the trails...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hahaha not too big a smile without a fender or mouthgaurd...

platty is fun in any weather...i'd wear long pants if you can bear it...a little added protection from mud...and you are going to slide, the rocks get slick

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I raced there one weekend and there was still a pile of snow on one slope we crossed and it rained like Noah was up top in the boat the night before the race. THe day of the race it was all good...that place is a massive pile of shale. I didn't see any dirt the whole time.

Guess?Who

Monkey
Nov 21, 2003
S.I.N.Y
Two years ago it rained every race. If it rains now till Friday it will drain by Sunday. It will even be better because it will be a bit tacky and not that dusty. I hope I get myself there for the next race, rain or shine!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
The rocks get slick, i think that there is some kinda moss or somthing on them, and they can be tricky... but yeah, for the most part the mountain drains superbly, it is mostly loose shale. But just be carefull in the gardens.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
rain makes those off-camber roots seem like they've been greased up and oiled over. other than that it's all good at plattekill in the rain. (not that i'm thrilled with the weather report for this weekend... )

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
... I'd be more concerned with that damn loose shale up there that likes to move with you down hill. :D

Like a monkey once said here - if it gets under your wheels while you're locked up, you've got skiis...

I hate it when rocks decide to get there own agenda...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
mtbpaint1 said:
Im going up for the weekend looks like its going to rain up till Friday...........................................................................................................is plattekill sh*tty when wet?

It's great mountain in bad weather......i prefer sunshine but when it rains there the traction doesn't change much. It gets a little slick but it isnt too bad at all.......

I heard the curse this weekend is nutso......

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
S.K.C. said:
... I'd be more concerned with that damn loose shale up there that likes to move with you down hill. :D

Like a monkey once said here - if it gets under your wheels while you're locked up, you've got skiis...

I hate it when rocks decide to get there own agenda...
I called it rock surfing when I went. Me and Herndon were doing runs and one time his bike caught a flat rock under the rear wheel and it popped the rear of the bike sky high. Right about that time my wheel caught a big, flat one and I started rock surfing and the bike accelerated...good times! :o:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
established trails (and whatever part of the race course is on them) usually drain pretty well, but the new stuff that they cut is SLIIIIIIIICK. There's a couple inches of greasy mud that gets tracked over every root, rock, etc, and makes for some fun times. Bring sticky rubber.

but yes, it just means its a normal Plattekill race. :thumb:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
mtbpaint1 said:
alright sounds like fun than. Maybe ill throw the Swamp things on, and a fender.

How nuts is nuts? its not like its mandatory to do a 10 foot drop to a garden tranny is it?
depends on what class you're racing... :sneaky:

(no clue, haven't seen the course, but sometimes the ridearounds are worse than the drops. Expert/Pro course is usually pretty sketchy)

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
mtbpaint1 said:
alright sounds like fun than. Maybe ill throw the Swamp things on, and a fender.

How nuts is nuts? its not like its mandatory to do a 10 foot drop to a garden tranny is it?
I heard the drops are decent sized but have groomed take-offs and landings because it is part of the freeride course. Personally i like weird technical drops and landing on whatever nature put there.........but will still be fun......

Just run your regular tires.........

konahucker43

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
central NY
dante said:
depends on what class you're racing... :sneaky:

(no clue, haven't seen the course, but sometimes the ridearounds are worse than the drops. Expert/Pro course is usually pretty sketchy)

i really hope they dont have some crazy drop. the rain wont help.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
I hit most of those drops for the first time last weekend in anticipation of the race. Oh and I'm 47 years old in My first year of expert racing......so relax PUNKS :p

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
ViciousDHer said:
I hit most of those drops for the first time last weekend in anticipation of the race. Oh and I'm 47 years old in My first year of expert racing......so relax PUNKS :p
I heard they were pretty straigth foward also.......
......decent sized but non-techy and safe.....

Basically, the "just ride off them" variety.....

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
if it rains were all gonna die.
but if its gonna rain on saturday in ny and vt -all day type rain-
then im just gonna race at mt snow and hope i can get a run in before the sun goes down
drive to ny and race on a muddy destroyed poop chute course

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
It really sucks when your parents sign you up for camps without you knowing. :mumble:

Fawk! I wish i could go. I need to beat my 9th in Jr X (Out of 19)...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Red Bull said:
It really sucks when your parents sign you up for camps without you knowing. :mumble:

Fawk! I wish i could go. I need to beat my 9th in Jr X (Out of 19)...
don't set your relatives on fire when they come over and you won't have that problem :devil:

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Platty in the rain rips. My most epic day of riding there was in a tsunami(ok maybe not but it felt like one). I'm going up no matter what......i just don't feel like getting my tent set up in the rain saturday night. Either way i'll have beer and some fireworks so a good time will be had.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
tmx said:
rain makes those off-camber roots seem like they've been greased up and oiled over. other than that it's all good at plattekill in the rain. (not that i'm thrilled with the weather report for this weekend... )
Yep. Separates the technical riders from the ballz-out speedsters... I always had my best races at P-kill when conditions were sh!tty... Despite the fact I hate riding in mud... I was "fender-boy" for years there... shoulda' been sponsored by THE back then... But otherwise, Plattekill is amazingly tacky when it's wet.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
bizutch said:
do people at Plattekill even own mud tires??
Nope. Not really that kind of mud. Should be standard issue for Snowshoe, "Here's your lift pass... now head over to the shop where they'll put mud tires on your wheels..."

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I'm doing my raindance as we speak. I was thinking I wouldn't mind racing there in the dry for once...but then I thought of the West Coast guys and those ghost white expressions on their face sitting in the line waiting for their race run....and I started doing my rain dance.

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
well im not going anymore just canceled hotel reservation, two of my buddies i was going to bring bailed out on me (work, and lacking of parts) so im going to Mount Snow and meeting up with some of my friends there and racing there instead...next time though

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Cant Climb said:
I heard the drops are decent sized but have groomed take-offs and landings because it is part of the freeride course. Personally i like weird technical drops and landing on whatever nature put there.......
Guess i heard wrong.......the drops were super weirdo, al' natural...
.....loved it.....so much fun out there this weekend......

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
that "4X" course is a joke... I mean seriously who came up with that idea? Bridges on a 4x course that are only wide enough for 1 or 2 riders is probably the most retarded thing ive ever seen build at pkill...And thats ssaying alot! I like the natural stuff at pkill, but they do have god awful freeride elements.