Quantcast

What foot you have on front while riding?

What you ride front?

• Total voters

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Oh crap. People do take these discussions seriously.

Apologies for inserting my nonsense earlier in the thread. Carry on!
I think no one takes this seriusly, I find it funny and never realised of it.. So just opened the thread as I thought it was going to be something funny to discuss..

But never thought that all the riders I like they ride with front left.

Some Matti inspiration such a good friend and inspirational rider!! :)

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Practice switching.

It may be near impossible at first, but it can make you faster and can keep you off the ground. Pedal forward to switch feet, usually better for the chain and you get a 1/2 power stroke in. Seems like one foot will always be dominant, but you can get pretty good at the other one w/ practice.
I read a book years ago on left/right brain thing and that you should train yourself to do everything both handed to balance out the hemispheres. Seemed like new age hippy stuff but I did try this for years and can now play Tennis, Cricket, snooker and many other things with both left and right hands. Dont think it balanced anything in my brain but that may be the result of too much alcohol

I will always favour my right hand but everytime I try riding right foot forward on the bike I lose it. I might start practicing right forward on my XC bike as there is less danger of getting hurt if you forget which foot goes where in mid flight...

Last edited:

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I think no one takes this seriusly, I find it funny and never realised of it.. So just opened the thread as I thought it was going to be something funny to discuss..
]
Got it! On a more serious note, it's probably helpful to practice switching back and forth. I suppose that I can see an advantage for left/right placement when entering a turn.

cesar_rojo

Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
Got it! On a more serious note, it's probably helpful to practice switching back and forth. I suppose that I can see an advantage for left/right placement when entering a turn.
I don't think is any sense of trying to change your foot depending of turn or anything... The reason why you have left or right in front is because you balance better, that is why when someone pushes you front the back (if you don't have idea he is going to do it) and you react you always put same foot first. I guess you want to be in you more stable position when riding, that is why not a single dh rider (talking about pro's) switches.

Also not saying left or right are faster than other, was just a matter of style :p

As I said nothing major, just thought it was really funny that all the riders that i really like their style are left front :p

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
It just doesn't matter if your RFF or LFF. Not even a matter of style. Some people are right handed or footed and some people left. It translates to riding. I can do both but one is more natural and that is what I stick with.

The only sport where being goofy or regular has an advantage is surfing. I would much rather be a goofy at Pipe or Chopes and regular at right-breaking waves like J-Bay.

Uruk-hai

Monkey
Oct 13, 2004
The 'Quah
I just like how riding switch sets me up for left and right corners. I don't do it for every turn, it just depends, but when I can do it, I do it. It still feels more comfortable to have my left foot forward generally.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Should repeat it with 4 options - RFF/Right handed, RFF/Left handed, LFF/Right handed, LFF/Left handed.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Are there any top DHers who switch it up depending on turn direction?
I'm not "top" but I'm pro. I'm left foot forward but for tight, steep left turns I switch to right foot forward. Helps me keep proper weighting on the front tire without feeling like I'm gonna lose it if the bike drifts a little. A great example of this is the turn at the beginning of Helter at Keystone. Left foot forward I'm sketchy. Right foot forward I carve it with some speed.
Next time you goof a turn that goes the direction of your forward foot, hike back up and try it with the other foot forward.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Nope, try it.
Let's use the steep, tight, low traction, left turn as an example.
With left foot forward it feels like you are pressuring the inside of the front tire. This has a tendency to push the front tire, making you go wide and this is a difficult situation to control understeer.
With the right foot forward you feel like you are pushing down on the outside of the front tire, forcing it into the ground more. You can lean the bike more without sliding out the front. It's also easier and a smoother motion to bring the inside pedal up/outside pedal down and hang your left foot out to control drift.

Remember this technique is just for steep, sharp corners. High speed sweepers are different.

Last edited:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Hell...I'm just happy when I can keep my feet on the pedals! ;)

Mostly left-foot-forward - especially when jumping. In corners I switch when time/abilities allow.

Interestingly enough, there's a right-hand corner at one of our local race courses that seems to be my nemesis. There's a double over some roots right before you hit the corner, so I'm LFF going off that and landing/turning LFF. I tend to get very loose and piss away a lot of speed in the process. I'm going to go at that section RFF next time I'm out there just for the sake of science. Well...at least Ridemonkey.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Hmmm.... I can't see how it would "pressure" the inside of the front wheel since no matter where your feet are your weight it going to the BB.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Solution: flip one crankarm so that both feet are pointing forward. Then you can be stylish and fast. Added benefit: you can get both pedals far off the ground for max clearance and dramatically raise your center of gravity simultaneously. DW and other engineers will have to redesign linkages to accommodate this new configuration, but the benefits are too obvious to ignore.

I guess it's time to create a thread to solicit an answer for a burning question I've always had: Brake levers angled slightly up or slightly down? Which is faster? Where are the wind tunnel results to back up the assertions? Surely it's not simply a matter of personal preference! We'll need data, people!

We'll need Stik to weigh in with anecdotes from the trenches, preferably with a story involving Cully and a custom mod - now being used universally in all pits - made just minutes prior to the start of a race. Also, maybe Stik can answer this burning question: Why did Greg Herbold wear that stupid skinsuit for the 1995 season? That was ridiculous even when lycra was still acceptable on a DH course.

EDIT: I'm new here, is this how I'm supposed to participate?
:rofl: yes! Brilliant job aaron, you'll fit in nicely.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
For me it's a leg strength issue, an I think also for most folks. My right leg is stronger so I keep it rearward to stand on. I do switch up when turning and when my right needs rest. Every picture of me going off a drop has my left foot forward.

John Jameson

Chimp
Nov 12, 2009
Right side of the Sierras
Here's a somewhat related question that you experts may be able to answer: I am doing my first dual slalom race in about a month, and I have never done any sort of gated racing. If I ride left foot forward, should I start left foot forward? Does it matter? Damn my lack of a bmx childhood.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Here's a somewhat related question that you experts may be able to answer: I am doing my first dual slalom race in about a month, and I have never done any sort of gated racing. If I ride left foot forward, should I start left foot forward? Does it matter? Damn my lack of a bmx childhood.
You should start pedaling your a$$ off. :D