Quantcast

What fork for Enduro?

IgorK

Chimp
Dec 6, 2002
Getting one tomorrow and MXComp is not an option for me. I do consider used stuff, cheaper-better. But what should i get? I'm 140-150, 5.8, hard core trail riding as well as some <5 ft drops. Adjustable travel is good. What do you ride/recommend? Thanks!

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
5' drops to flat? There's no way a super air will stand up to that. I wouldn't drop more than 3' on my super air. The vanilla would be a better choice, it's stiffer.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Originally posted by fonseca
5' drops to flat? There's no way a super air will stand up to that. I wouldn't drop more than 3' on my super air. The vanilla would be a better choice, it's stiffer.
Ah,yeah, you're right. I saw the <5' and figured he'd be okay since he's a lighter rider.

I don't know enough about the Sherman to say. Hopefully, someone else will chime in about that.

Cheers,
Kristina

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
The Sherman Firefly thru-axle is my next fork. I think that would be a great choice for a stiff fork that can take plenty of abuse and doesn't weigh too much. I don't know if the stock springs would need changing at your weight, and you probably would be fine with standard dropouts at 150lbs, although I still think it's the way to go if you like to take big drops are ride aggressively.

I was going to get a Z1 fr myself, but I'm not impressed with the goofy system for the axle, and the weight is way too heavy on the '03 model for my needs, which are trail riding and drops to flat of no more than 3' or so; it would be overkill for me since most of my rides involve climbing. It's too bad RS owns the tullio system now, it would be put to better use on a zoke. But that's an option as well. It will probably need less maintenance and care than any of the other choices mentioned.

I wish the Vanilla was available with a thru-axle, Fox is missing out on a big chunk of customers by refusing to offer it. It makes a huge difference for fork stiffness (excluding the old QR20, which did next to nothing imo). I like the hex axle on the Sherman, good design. But there are plenty of good deals on the Vanilla if you want a standard dropout fork, check ebay.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
id go with either a dirt jumper 3 or a RS psylo xc both strong and a great bang for the buck supergo was good prices on both 2. i ride a DJ 3 and love the thing :D

J

Joe33

Id go with the 03 z1 personaly. Since thier release Ive heard no complaint what so ever about them. Ive been riding mine like crazy on a daily basis since I got it 5 monthes ago and it still performs flawlessly. The lockdown works great, unlike the Sherman were as Ive read about people complaning that the 1 " just isnt enough to do anything. The 2" the z1 gives you really does make a big differnce when climbing. As there is no fork bob and your weights center a little better.

With the Fox Ive heard mostly good opions about it, only encountered one guy who hates them. "Forgot his reasons." With the Pyslo it seems pretty much everyone has a bad opion about them. The one I had needed to be rebuilt every 2 or 3 rides in order to work right, plus the crown made tons of noise, it wasnt a very good fork at all, but then again it was a older model maybe they have fixed it by now. Anyways thats all I got to tell you hope it helps out.

Frenchy

Chimp
Jun 22, 2003
North Georgia
If your looking for bang for the buck get a psylo xc with the all travel. I have two psylos and they work very well and are super easy to service. The only problem I had with one was a bad bushing and this was an older fork, the new ones have much better bushings. The psylo is not the best but is definitely not a bad fork and truthfully using the all travel has improved my riding experience tremendously. I run it all the way down at 80 for climbs, 100 for jumping/dual and 125 for freeriding/dh. It would be a good match for an Enduro with adjustable travel.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I'd say check out a Z1 FR SL, they are lighter than the Z1, don't have a thru axle so you won't have to build a new wheel and the air spring should match the rear suspension of the enduro a little better (although now we are talking more about semmantics.) I guess you are trying to keep price down so I'd assume you are trying to keep mantinence down too, forget anything from RS or Manitou, they just aren't going to be as reliable in the long run, a Sherman may be durable enough but since nobody has ridden one for more than a couple of months it's hard to say. I had problems with my Fox Vanilla, but most of those problems appear to be unique to my particular fork and exaggerated by the poor customer service and strange warranty coverage (good for anything but what they decide not to cover,) for a bike like an enduro you could probabally get away with a Fox Float, it's got the same uppers and lowers as the vanilla but with different internals to make it a little lighter.

Good luck deciding, there are several forks out there that will fit the bill, it just depends on how big a risk you are willing to take and how much you are willing to spend up front.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Definitely get rid of that MXC! I didn't like it either and I'm not into big drops and such. I put an '03 Psylo SL on mine and like it a lot! The adjustable travel is nice when your chugging uphill. 125 mm of travel sets that bike up really nicely for downhill IMO.

Be sure to keep the bolts tightened in your suspension. I check mine fairly often to make sure they are staying tight. Also, watch the weld on the piece that attaches the rear shock to the main triangle. It's common for that weld to crack on Enduro's. I'm waiting for a new frame right now.