Quantcast

what fork should I get?

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
hey, I just got a bike on ebay and it comes with a marathon s and I want somthing that can take a lil more punishment then a marathon so what should I replace it with? Dirt Jumper I, II, II, z1...or somthing else? I need help thanks!

I will be using it for urbin, some hucking, fr, jumping...you know all that good stuff:D

Thanks

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
straped on cash?
want to jump?
don't like working on your fork?

then get a DJ3
great strong fork that takes very litle maintenance.:D

Or if you do have money just get the best one you can, i.e. dj2 or dj1

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
they have the fox forks on jensonusa.com for cheap... much lighter than the DJumper...

i have the DJIII and its been ok... leaked from Day 1... stiff, strong, kinda heavy... the DJ1 with thru axle is overkill if you ask me...

get a fox or the DJIII

snipes287

Chimp
Apr 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
whatever it is it won't be new so prices will be much less...I just need a general direction to fallow on which would suit me best and what you like dislike about the forks you use. thanks again....I love this place:monkey:

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
I had a Fox Vanilla 125 R and that fork was awesome. A lot lighter than the 03 DJ1 that I had before and it feels a lot better too. It was plenty strong to go jumping on and I never had a problem with it. So go for the Fox.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by RITFreeRider
I had a Fox Vanilla 125 R and that fork was awesome. A lot lighter than the 03 DJ1 that I had before and it feels a lot better too. It was plenty strong to go jumping on and I never had a problem with it. So go for the Fox.
The axel to crown heights between a Fox and DJ are significantly different, he should probably figure out which one would make his bike handle the way he wants is to.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
man dont get a fox, my buddy reed broke 2 of them in as many months and before yo usay he is not smooth and all that crap he is. he was dirt jumping both times. the first one both stanchions snapped, the second one the stanchions ripped out of the arch. their warranty sucked both times so he traded it for a dirt jumper 3 and never looked back.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by biggins
man dont get a fox, my buddy reed broke 2 of them in as many months and before yo usay he is not smooth and all that crap he is. he was dirt jumping both times. the first one both stanchions snapped, the second one the stanchions ripped out of the arch. their warranty sucked both times so he traded it for a dirt jumper 3 and never looked back.

I know a couple people including me that have been riding them for awhile and never had a problem. Not to mention they are a ton lighter than a DJ

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Lighter=Stronger? rarely. I don't know how much you weigh but if you are under 150lbs. you probably won't break the FOX, but then again why take chances. I've been riding an 03 DJ2 without any complaints. The 03 DJ1 is only $289 at Jenson, which seems to be a pretty good deal. If the bike you bought came with a Marathon S maybe the frame isn't all that beefy either, so even if you get an 04 DJ you'll probably break the frame first.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by freerider215
Lighter=Stronger? rarely. I don't know how much you weigh but if you are under 150lbs. you probably won't break the FOX, but then again why take chances. I've been riding an 03 DJ2 without any complaints. The 03 DJ1 is only $289 at Jenson, which seems to be a pretty good deal. If the bike you bought came with a Marathon S maybe the frame isn't all that beefy either, so even if you get an 04 DJ you'll probably break the frame first.
Mr friends and I weight bewteen 180 and 210 so we are by no means light on parts. Sure the DJ is stronger but it also weights more than a pound more than the FOX. The FOX has 32mm legs just like the DJ it just doesn't come in a 20mm axle and doesn't weight almost 6 lb.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
im really loving my 03 sherman firefly...it takes whatever i can give up and just asks for more....
one knob came loose...thats my only problem so far...20mm socket and it was like new...

Weaver

Monkey
Oct 27, 2003
austin, TX
Originally posted by RITFreeRider
Mr friends and I weight bewteen 180 and 210 so we are by no means light on parts. Sure the DJ is stronger but it also weights more than a pound more than the FOX. The FOX has 32mm legs just like the DJ it just doesn't come in a 20mm axle and doesn't weight almost 6 lb.

word....im 230 and im going to the fox...no need for all the extra weight of the DJIII... the fox is plenty strong...

ZEDMAN

Monkey
Nov 19, 2003
S.F. California
I have a DJ 1 that is great and my friend has a DJ 2 that he loves. Dont get a fox because my friend had a fox before and destroyed the bushing twice.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by ZEDMAN
I have a DJ 1 that is great and my friend has a DJ 2 that he loves. Dont get a fox because my friend had a fox before and destroyed the bushing twice.
I'm willing to bet he didn't and just didn't like the "slop" he felt when stopped and wiggling the fork around...

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
Hey, I'd like to revive this thread because now i'm going to be looking for a fork for jumping and street and i'll be riding a DMR Rhythm 24" wheel specific frame and I want a 3" to 4" fork. I only weigh 135 so I don't thrash parts and don't need an 8 lbs fork like the 04 DJ's. The fork needs to be 20mm. I had heard something about Manitou's Porter model, but don't see anything on the website. If anyone has any recommendations let me know.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
A manitou firefly sounds about perfect. I haven't heard anything about the porter with regards to manitou but Iron Horse is coming out with the Porter line of bikes. You might also want to look at some of the older marzocchis like pre-03 because they still come in a 20mm but don't weight a ton like the 03 and on forks. And I wouldn't recomend a rock shox pyslo if that had crossed your mind. Mine blew up in 2 weeks of riding to class. The Manitou Firefly sounds like the fork for you.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Originally posted by Transcend
I'm willing to bet he didn't and just didn't like the "slop" he felt when stopped and wiggling the fork around...
im willing to bet i did break it actually. twice.

it was a great ****ing fork, i was just to much of a lard ass for it. i loved the way it felt, just wish it was stronger.

i think that fox forks are good for DJ if you are already good at DJin or are freakishly smooth, but if you are learning how to go bigger like i was, it will probably die quickly

i had to warrenty mine twice in four months

oh yah and im the friend that zedman was talking about.