Quantcast

what forks for 4X?

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Im in the process of deciding what forks to run on my bike for 4X/DS?
they will be going on a Ironhorse Mk3 frame.
only want around 100mm travel i guess and not worried whether they are QR or 20mm

so any ideas, preferably fox and rock shox

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the pike 110mm. the argyle pretty sweet. there is also the revelation that they also make that i have seen put through plenty of abuse.

the revelation is the lightest but it doesn't have a 20mm dropout. its a tough fork none the less.

i personally think that fox fork for the most part are a waste on money, seeing as they are not proving anymore reliable than any of the other offerings out there.

also take a look at the marz. 4X fork. looks nice. also look into the manituo minute, it has a 100mm thru axle option i be leave and should prove to be very tough

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would go for a Pike or Revelation on that frame, the MkIII I rode w/ a Revelation felt very balanced.

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
im only really considering fox or rock shox because i can get them cheap and they both have race support at most races which is a bonus.

Im liking the look of the revalation and it sounds like a pretty decent fork.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
im only really considering fox or rock shox because i can get them cheap and they both have race support at most races which is a bonus.

Im liking the look of the revalation and it sounds like a pretty decent fork.
In that case go RS either Pike, or Rev if you are just starting out.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
if you are at all going to punish the bike, a pike will stand up to it a lot better than a revalation, though both are tough.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
I havn't gotten any time on one yet but the new Manitou minutes are only 3.6lbs and now have a 20mill axel. If it feels anything like my nixon did its going to be sick.

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
I'd stay away from manitou...

I'd go for the pike for pretty much every option. It's what I'm puting on mine most likely. But I'll also be riding it on our local freeride trails and whistler and such, so I'm a little apprehensive about running any QR forks.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
i can apretiate why so many ppl love the pike, its stiff, strong and plush... but you can always get away with a much lighter fork that works the same... its kinda like how most ppl will go for a fox 36 over a 32 when they only need a 32/5in.....

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I have a 2006 Marz z1 sport reduced by Marzocchi to 100mm. It's a sick fork it features air in both L and R Legs, Compression on the left and rebound on the right. MSRP on the Z1 sport is $325.00. Msrp on the 4x is $449.00 IMO, the Z1 is a better 4x fork for the money.

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
ive pretty much decided to go with the revalation,
now just trying to decide whether to spend the extra $$ on the air u-turn model over coil?

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
the air one is lighter and is more adjustable. it you setup the neg. pressure right it will be very supple and the suppleness can also be tuned. i'm a bigger guy and have never had a problem with rockshox air fork in the realm of reliability

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Well, because Ironhorse runs the 1.5 headtube i would recommend the lefty. Laterally the stiffest "fork" on the market-even stiffer than the fox 40, it is by far the lightest and the most unique looking fork and it far outperforms them all. The lefty DLR weighs in at a measly 3.5lbs for 110mm of travel. check out golefty.com

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
^^ great call, but good luck finding a lefty, they are soo hard to get a hold of. they are very stiff, but not sure whether they are stiffer then a fox 40....

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
im pretty sure the Mk3 has a 1 1/8th head tube, well thats what it says on the spec sheet in front of me.