Quantcast

What forks?Tech In/Bos Or Kowa

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Right I wanna sway away from the usual.
I own airs at present and they where ok until they have broke.
So Im on the look out.
I am looking to hear from people who have used these products already.

Bos they are expensive but everyone seem to be creaming over them.
I have a heard some good/bad

Tech In apart from they look frigin awesome and "everyone" on the japanese race circuit use them.
I don't know anything more,I have never heard from another person who has first hand used them

Kowa,yes there is a thread on hear but I have not had a chance to go through it.

I could go for 40s or get a coil put in my air or get bos internals except this one is out the window because they have stopped making these kits.

Thanks Guys

Whoops

Turbo Monkey
Jul 9, 2006
New Zealand
Buy some Boxxers, and give the difference to charity.

You'll be just as fast, won't look like such a wanker, and the good karma will ensure podium positions at every race you enter.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
except that the boxxers would probably fail with the QC that they have now.

i tried a kowa dual crown fork breifly, i cant say too much about it as it was only an extreme car park test. it was smooth and had good amounts of LSC.

i would go with the bos cart in the 40. i think you can still get the cart from tftuned.

thats all i have to say. :)

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007

You'll be just as fast, won't look like such a wanker, and the good karma will ensure podium positions at every race you enter.
Yup. I´m all with this guy. Get the Boxxers.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Cant get any Bos cartidges from Tf,That was they told me.
Bos as said they are a lot of cash but I have heard no real review of them...
Apart from they are pretty heavy 8lbs and there is a lot of stiction

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Apart from they are pretty heavy 8lbs and there is a lot of stiction
thats what i have heard too, (about the weight) hopefully its just a rumor.

i doubt that a company like bos would mess things up and make a fork that is sticky. either it needs some breaking in, or who ever you heard that from doesn't understand what lsc is.

you could always just get a 09 04, i know, not really something special, but its a good fork.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I heard it from one of my wc mates...Couldn't really tell me much more as he hasn't paid any more attention too them.
I suppose they will be awesome but its a big gamble..
I like the idea of the tech Ins but as everyone seems to know about the same as me I think Im out on them.
The way things are going I might just get my airs teamed

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
i doubt that a company like bos would mess things up and make a fork that is sticky.
Hate to tell you, but that's exactly what they did with the production versions of Nico's old fork, back in the days of the old Sunn Radical+. I've said it before on here, but I used to be able to compress the fork a full inch and a half into it's travel, and the stiction was enough to prevent the fork from rebounding, on a 6" travel fork!

I've never even seen any of the new stuff though, so I'm not counting them out just yet, though it would surprise me if they lived up to even some of the hype around here.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Or even just one boxxer.

BTW, the Kowa stuff was fairly simple pumping-rod technology, like the old boxxers before motion control. This is the current line (I have some schematics on my computer), so I don't know if the 09s will be different. It's probably not a good idea to buy something "different" just to be different unless you really are sure that it is what you want, and for that you have to know what is inside if it and exactly how it works, and since most people don't know one of those or both, it makes little sense.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
I just went through this, and decided to save my money and just get a Boxxer Team. Even the Fox 40 is a great deal more money, maybe its worth it, maybe not. The fact is Boxxers are inexpensive, easy to get parts for, good warranty, can be changed to air if inclined.... Flex, well, I am upgrading from a Dorado, so the Boxxer feels pretty darn good to me.
I really wanted to go Kowa, but didn't want to be up poo creek for parts.
At least with the Boxxer I can sleep at night knowing my wife won't murder me for spending 1400 bucks on a fork that I will probably sell in a year or two anyways!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Jeez, can't you tell this guy just wants to spend a lot of cake so he can be different?

Dude, get an Avalance and a Foes (so you have a spare), get them both Pushed, and don't forget the aftermarket crowns. :rolleyes:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
you should buy an 09 fox 40 and let me try it out for you. ill let you know if its worth it or not.

pm me for my shipping address ill gladly give it to you.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Tech In apart from they look frigin awesome and "everyone" on the japanese race circuit use them.
I don't know anything more,I have never heard from another person who has first hand used them
whats tech in? If you have the cash, and want to be different, there are so many options apart from RS, Fox, Marzocchi and Manipu.

Kowa
Bos
Avalanche
Risse
Foes
White Bros
and the more lower brands.

Being different doesn't mean its better or worse, just different. If you have the cash to go exclusive and maintain what ever fork you buy, go for it. If you want something problem free, go with something you'll know will work

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland

The race scenes鍛え上げ弐型T-11 that he had to ARUMIINNACHUBU unworkable and titanium nitride coating that has been a success. 。 Titanium nitride coating the surface hardness of hard chrome plating, as compared to approximately two to three times the hardness reached an unprecedented durability and smooth movement to fruition. 。 KASHIMA AUTACHUBU and the courts to adopt, it is not luxurious finish.

T-11tin Order of color in the right color photos, and the outer end, two black color choices. S pecifications S pecifications
○ /180mm ○ Wheel Travel / 180mm
○)/3.1kg ○ weight (Protection steering column) / 3.1 kg
○対応ハブ /20mmアクスル 110mm幅 ○ corresponding hub / 20mm axle width 110mm
○ ○ disk pedestal / International Standard
○)/160mm ○ mounting up to head length (including headset) / 160 mm
○20mmアクスル、 ○ Accessories / steering stopper, 20 mm axles,
ター KABONFOKUPUROTEKUTA
◆、 ◆ options / DMT, spring (XS, S, H, XH),
、 PURIRODOSUPESA, Shimano 8 "adapter, service manuals,
税込み価格 \309750 Tax-inclusive price \ 309750

Last edited:

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
It says there that they are 3.1kgs.
That would be 6.8lbs thats basically lighter than a fox and the same as the air boxxers

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
^^ umm, same weight as a fox 40, and heavier then a boxxer world :clue: cup.

Hate to tell you, but that's exactly what they did with the production versions of Nico's old fork, back in the days of the old Sunn Radical+. I've said it before on here, but I used to be able to compress the fork a full inch and a half into it's travel, and the stiction was enough to prevent the fork from rebounding, on a 6" travel fork!

I've never even seen any of the new stuff though, so I'm not counting them out just yet, though it would surprise me if they lived up to even some of the hype around here.

ouch!! i have ridden a dhx with their kit and no doubt they know their stuff. it would be a real pity if they have problems like that.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Anyone have a BOS 888 cart they want to sell me? Or anyone know where to get them?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Go-Ride had the 888 BOS carts last time I checked, but that WAS a while ago (more than a year) but they might still have a few left.

Lol - Yuroshek!

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
It says there that they are 3.1kgs.
That would be 6.8lbs thats basically lighter than a fox and the same as the air boxxers
The WB Groove Race is 180mm travel just like the Tech-In but lighter than all three and it feels great!
If I were in the market for a new dual crown I would easily trade out my boxxer WC for the White Bros.
I have a couple guys riding White Bro's stuff and they do develop stiction over time, however the small bump compliance remains active as does the big hit soaking. Most of the stiction is only felt in the parking lot and at really low speed compression. The forks are really easy to rebuild and MRP is a great bunch to work with.

-Kevin

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Like so many others, I have extensive experience on all 3 of these forks. Here's my review:

Bos: Comes in Rootbeer
Kowa: Looks Flexy
Tech In: Matches my cute color-coordinated Sam Hill replica riding outfit and hand-painted helmet

Because of these factors, I generally lean towards the Tech In for hucks, but I keep the Kowa and Bos on hand for swapping over to my fixed-gear coffee shop cruiser.

Best of luck in your decision,

JP

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I'm confused I dunno where the hucks came from...
Some dude posts risse and the thread dies.
OMG...........
The forks will be used for race use,I think at present it Bos or Tech In...
No interest in the kowas now.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Why not interest in the Kowa?

Got a link to the tech-in? It sounds (name) like a product out of a chinese lunatic asylum's arts and crafts division.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Like so many others, I have extensive experience on all 3 of these forks. Here's my review:

Bos: Comes in Rootbeer
Kowa: Looks Flexy
Tech In: Matches my cute color-coordinated Sam Hill replica riding outfit and hand-painted helmet

Because of these factors, I generally lean towards the Tech In for hucks, but I keep the Kowa and Bos on hand for swapping over to my fixed-gear coffee shop cruiser.

Best of luck in your decision,

JP
Most Valuable Post

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
www.tech-in.com
First one on the list seem like there top one
Seems like thier top one? But you don't know for sure?

Why are you buying a fork from them at all? I've heard nothing, and haven't foujnd anything from searching. Do you just like obscure, random parts? Do they have any sort of support at all wehre you are?

I know Kowa at least is setting stuff up in the US, and can probably deal with all of NA. Can the other two help you out if you hae a problem?

What a strange topic.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Seems like thier top one? But you don't know for sure?

Why are you buying a fork from them at all? I've heard nothing, and haven't foujnd anything from searching. Do you just like obscure, random parts? Do they have any sort of support at all wehre you are?

I know Kowa at least is setting stuff up in the US, and can probably deal with all of NA. Can the other two help you out if you hae a problem?

What a strange topic.
They are good forks, I have tried one. They have about 0 support in North America and they cost an absolute fortune.

Gene Hamilton (Betterride.net) used to be sponsored by them when a friend of mine was dealing with them in Colorado.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Thanks transend....
Drop,I am just looking at the other options out there.As there is a few.
Tech In may not have the best site but there stuff does look like quality.

Again the same with bos

humprabbit

Monkey
Jul 6, 2005
Ok ive saw this thread start and have followed it for it duration.
I thought id give you a little knowledge about your quest for these forks.

1. Tech-in, Have fun trying to get any communication from them, it took me 6 months to get an answer.
the forks do not carry a safety cert for the UK so they are reluctant to sell them outside of Japan, I do have a contact for them who is the only english speaker involved. Price wise they will work out more expensive than the Bos fork.

2. Kowa, Easiest way to get these forks would be to talk to Parr and get a set from MSC as they hold the european rights for them although there is now a french importer ( X1 Racing suspension) so perhaps they have given that up. Maybe Email Ferran directly at MSC as he is a good bloke.

3. If i was looking to spend the kind of money you are talking about then id be all over the Bos, nothing will match it for its quality.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
All that said, anyone selling an Avy front fork or more specifically just a damper should contact me immediately....

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
All that said, anyone selling an Avy front fork or more specifically just a damper should contact me immediately....
Are you kidding me gordon, you just bought a new fork a few months ago. When are you going to figure out no matter how perfect your supension works it wont make you a better rider.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I didn't say it would make anyone better. I just want to fit a damper with actual shim stacks and a base valve into it to match the rear.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
What? Censored? For what? Hopefully it was for a slang name for Japaneese(that I did not condone,hence my ""), and not because I didn't bang the Boss drum without any proof to do so.

Last edited: