Quantcast

What front derailluer for Windrock?

Roodle

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Rockville, MD
i'll be there. i think we're going to ride saturday and sunday but depending on how our plans work out, and if someone can't go at the last minute, we may ride friday and saturday instead.

there should be 4 of us rollin' in from the great white north (read: the mid-atlantic).

i'll be the one trying to figure out where we're gonna party like rockstars after the ride, then falling asleep after one drink. heh.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Wndrckr said:
Looks like we need at least 1 more Windrock thread. Only 5 at 1 time just ain't gonna cut it.:rolleyes: :)
You.....get back to work!:love:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
yeah, he's quite the comedian.
he was starting to become a good rider too.
then he fell down.

but hey, we all fall down sooner or later.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dhbuilder said:
yeah, he's quite the comedian.
he was starting to become a good rider too.
then he fell down.

but hey, we all fall down sooner or later.
Butch - check
Joey - check
Ben - check
Terry - check
Jeremy - check
Doug - check
Herndon - check
Neil B - check
Tom V - check
Squasher - check
Brady - check
JeffD - check
BKQUill - check
...I think we should start a poll:

Have you eaten it at Windrock
1. Yes
2. No

:cool:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
or a poll for how many times you have stacked it in one day.

I had 3 wrecks on one run last Thurdsay.:rolleyes:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
bizutch said:
Butch - check
Joey - check
Ben - check
Terry - check
Jeremy - check
Doug - check
Herndon - check
Neil B - check
Tom V - check
Squasher - check
Brady - check
JeffD - check
BKQUill - check
...I think we should start a poll:

Have you eaten it at Windrock
1. Yes
2. No

:cool:
for those who can honestly answer #2, your time is gonna come.

i hope to be back rollin again by this weekend, just to risk falling down all over again.
1st run, southernrocks.
2nd run, southernrocks.
3rd run, southernrocks.
and so on, and so on, and so on.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Let's assume anybody posting the SE forum defaults to #1, so let's move on to what you've fugged up. I'll start (keep in mind I've been there only 8 times I can count and I have good innate survival skills):

-Blown rear shock
-Bent brake lever
-Mildly jacked knee, wrist and thumb.

Brady's out of the country but I know he's broken a finger, tacoed an ankle and blown a rear shock off the top of my head.

Yeah, we're lightweights (so far).

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
how in the he.. did he blow a shock off the top of your head ?
was it with or without your helmet on ?
and is that why he had to leave the country ?

details man.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Don't even pretend to contend with the champion...

I am (and possibly TJ's face dive down the waterfall) the KING of eating it at WR!

mtbman4

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
windrock
profro said:
Don't even pretend to contend with the champion...

I am (and possibly TJ's face dive down the waterfall) the KING of eating it at WR!
I had a nice superman-endo to broken wrist on the waterfall last May or so... ouch :dead:

ztlh13

Monkey
May 9, 2003
East Tennessee
Back in the infancy of the trails I pulled a small roller and jumped straight into a tree. It tacoed the front wheel and broke the the top crown and the steerer tube off my Boxxer. I didn't get hurt bad, but man that was an expensive wreck! Plus I think it was our first run.

I think someone has video of the second race there where someone moved one of the rocks coming into the waterfall and I hit and endoed into the creek.

And then there was...... And also..... oh yeah and the time when.....

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
2 vertebrae
1 humerus
1 slight concusion
1 gashed shin
1 gashed elbow

and if my wrist wasn't already broken from a wreck at Fontana years ago, I'd probably have a broken wrist numerous times. But since it never healed, its f'ed all the time.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
profro said:
2 vertebrae
I witnessed this one. Ewok took out a few individuals too.

Back in the day when it was just trail 1 and we were all learning, I know I had a few big ones. I took a header down the waterfall when it was near vertical off the road and landing down in the right hander - Joey and Ben saw that one. Another was launching the bulkhead to near flat back when it had a lip, that put me out for a few months, but it was late in the year.

But my coolest was casing the big double all nice like infront of TJ and Booker. And those michigan boys trying to kill my car w/ their trailer.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My worst was a distance record at Windrock. It had to be.
Was pushing hard at the last race on Trail 1. Had put a 2.8 on front to get max brake on the last, long, steep chute. Came in with no brakes, grabbed a light handful and was OK. Trail hooked just an inch to the right instead of straight down.
Once my wheel tasted loam and leaves instead of hardpacked clay ditch..it accelerated even with both brakes locked. I shot straight down the mountain with both squeezed to the bars, tagged a water bar. (For those who don't know this pitch is easily 60 degree). When I tagged the water bar, the rear end bottomed HARD and then catapulted me horizontally across this steep pitch into nothingness. I cut a flip and gainered somewhere between 40-60 feet OUT...then down.

When I hit the ground I was at the edge of the fireroad. My bike...whoa. My guardian angel ate her Wheaties that day and kept me unscathed....but that was my most terrifying flight ever. Still can't believe how far I flew.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
dhbuilder said:
how in the he.. did he blow a shock off the top of your head ?
was it with or without your helmet on ?
and is that why he had to leave the country ?

details man.
Good aim man, really good aim.

He's in Romania trying to secure a bride.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
JeffD said:
He's in Romania trying to secure a bride.
Is this one going to be of legal age?

Back on the subject, the last time I went there Super Dave got a flat tire in his truck on the way up. Didn't have a spare. Finally got to WR and totally launched himself in Southern Rocks. That was his first ride on his "new" Demo9. He later told me his shock and fork were toasted. And I think he only got in 3 runs.
I think Jeff has a similar S.D. story from last fall.

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
d.e.f. said:
And those michigan boys trying to kill my car w/ their trailer.
That was just one of the Mich boys.....ME.
It really didnt look steep at all. But man it sure took off as soon as it was unhooked.
If I wasnt such a fat ass, you're car was sure to be smashed.
"Dont worry my dad is a t.v. repairman. He's got an awesome set of tools.......... I can fix this" (In my best Jeff Spicolli voice)- JM

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
John M said:
That was just one of the Mich boys.....ME.
It really didnt look steep at all. But man it sure took off as soon as it was unhooked.
If I wasnt such a fat ass, you're car was sure to be smashed.
"Dont worry my dad is a t.v. repairman. He's got an awesome set of tools.......... I can fix this" (In my best Jeff Spicolli voice)- JM
It was funny to ride down and see 2 really long skid marks and that trailer 5 ft from my car. Half of everyone was laughing and the other half just had that pale, relieved look like after taking a big dump. It took me another run to comprehend what had really happened.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
that was one of those visual moments that will stay with me forever.
especially when your first cry for help was met with no response. then everyone saw you standing flatfooted sliding down the gravel with a trailer attached to you.

and d.e.f. was right. the half that couldn't respond was incapacitated by laughter.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
John M said:
It really didnt look steep at all. JM
it never does untill you're looking at it from behind your handlebars.

and your friends, they were the ones laughing right ?