Quantcast

What happened to Cortina?

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
I heard they were on the come back, and there's even a new website with a small pic of a new (single pivot) frame.

Does anyone know whats going on with them or is there further info online anywhere?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Adrian is making a batch of the new Tritons right now. The design is sick. They are not the least bit flexy (partly due to the stiffening link behind the BB). They also have a few other new/redesigned frames in the works (all-mtn/freeride & slalom/mtn-X). Their prices are also VERY reasonable for bikes handmade with care and precision.

Cortina has always been a low-volume manufacturer but they have also always managed to stick around even when the industry is not doing so well. I think some people misinterprit steady, low-volume as being a bad thing. I see it as a wise way of operating...

The Mexi-can

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
SOil said:
I heard they were on the come back, and there's even a new wensite with a small pic of a new (single pivot) frame.

Does anyone know whats going on with them or is there further info online anywhere?

We are on the come back with brand new frame designs. I will admit we haven't had the greatest of years in the past but thats the past. The new site isn't finished yet, we are just starting to put up product as we finish it, so keep an out. If you have any other questions or want other info just ask.

The Mexi-can

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
Colombian DHer said:
dunno but i haven´t seen a frame that has more flex than a cortina! looks like its made of rubber
I don't know if you have ever owned one of our frames but they don't have mcuh fex. And if you have not ridden or owned our bike that is a pretty bold opinion to post. Also just so you know the Triton DH is made with EASTON butted 6061 aluminum and is very strong and pleanty stiff with the aid of the swing link behind the BB. So get your facts straight before writing a worthless post like the one you just posted, and don't bother starting a reply with "my friend had or thinks a cortina is......" because those are just as worthless and tend to get twisted into something that doesn't need to be said, and if they are unhappy or have a problem they can talk to me. Think before you type!

Thank you.

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
I gather the small pic on the site is of the Triton.
Whats the rest of the range like, can we have any pics?

Not sure about the price on the site, 2.4k seems rather expensive.
I'm sure its all US hand made etc, but thats Ellsworth Dare/Foes/SC V10 kind of prices, and not far of an M3...

What are the prices for the rest of the range like?

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
The Mexi-can said:
We are on the come back with brand new frame designs. I will admit we haven't had the greatest of years in the past but thats the past. The new site isn't finished yet, we are just starting to put up product as we finish it, so keep an out. If you have any other questions or want other info just ask.
Great to see you are on the comeback, I've never ridden a Cortina but they have always had my curiosity...I see some DHE-8's at races and check the website regularly to see what is going on with the line-up. Any updated info would be great!

BTW...The picture of the Triton on the website seems to have a pivot of some sorts behind the bottom bracket...what is this? Am I just seeing things?

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
lovebunny said:
thats probably the stiffening pivot thats been mentioned twice in this thread allready
So help me...how does it work? When the suspension is engaged, both the pivot on the downtube and this one behind the bottom brack move? Does this not change the rear wheel motion as it progresses through the travel?

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Van Dine (and some other GR team guys) has been riding the Triton DS CrMo HT and really loves it.Most likely the most affordable American made frame out there.They look kinda plain compared to some HT's out but i care little about that.
With Cortina you can get a bike made by people who race DH etc and the father of the brothers is a welding artisan,as in old school steel road bike style builder.He's been around the block.
Small and steady is exactly what i look for in frame mgs's,like Cortina,Ventana,Foes...

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
The Mexi-can said:
I don't know if you have ever owned one of our frames but they don't have mcuh fex. And if you have not ridden or owned our bike that is a pretty bold opinion to post. Also just so you know the Triton DH is made with EASTON butted 6061 aluminum and is very strong and pleanty stiff with the aid of the swing link behind the BB. So get your facts straight before writing a worthless post like the one you just posted, and don't bother starting a reply with "my friend had or thinks a cortina is......" because those are just as worthless and tend to get twisted into something that doesn't need to be said, and if they are unhappy or have a problem they can talk to me. Think before you type!

Thank you.
looks like the Mexi-can told you!

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I've heard nothing but good things about Cortina's bikes. I haven't ridden one of their DH bikes, but I have ridden one of their hardtail DJ/4X bikes, and it was perfect in every way.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
dogwonder said:
So help me...how does it work? When the suspension is engaged, both the pivot on the downtube and this one behind the bottom brack move? Does this not change the rear wheel motion as it progresses through the travel?
its exactly like the Foes swing link, it just happens to be under the main pivot instead of above. Its still a single pivot bike, it does nothing the alter the axle path.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Colombian DHer said:
dunno but i haven´t seen a frame that has more flex than a cortina! looks like its made of rubber

wow thats one of the most inaccurate statements iv ever heard!!...

adrian why dont u post some pics of dans bike...???

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
leprechaun said:
Van Dine (and some other GR team guys) has been riding the Triton DS CrMo HT and really loves it.Most likely the most affordable American made frame out there.They look kinda plain compared to some HT's out but i care little about that.
adrian has been working on a new alum ht and it is sick...not only does it ride great but it looks like a mini triton with the cool toptube..

The Mexi-can

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
dogwonder said:

The linkage behind the BB is just a stiffening link, the frame is still a "Single Pivot" frame design. The link grows apart as the frame goes throught the travel keeping the frame stiff and on track at any part of the travel. It has nothing to do with the rear wheel path or motion.

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
The Mexi-can said:
The linkage behind the BB is just a stiffening link, the frame is still a "Single Pivot" frame design. The link grows apart as the frame goes throught the travel keeping the frame stiff and on track at any part of the travel. It has nothing to do with the rear wheel path or motion.
It looks like a beautiful bike. I'd love to have a full arsenal in my garage. The new hardtail sounds tight too. I'll probably buy one, I've never ridden a hardtail that I liked as much as my europa.

soulfly

Chimp
Feb 27, 2004
Hungary
i would like to see a beautiful cro-mo ht, that can handle everithing, but light enough to build an under 25 lbs bike with todays 130 mm [bolt-on] forks and saint/diabolus freeride parts.
and not to mention, that it would come in 16" or even better, in 17" ;)

i love cro-mo ht bikes, my next bike will be a singlespeed one. (oh, did i mentioned the singlespeed dropout? - that would be good too)

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
The Mexi-can said:
Right on...now I get it. I didn't realize the linkage grew in length throughout the travel. Now I must find one to stick under my arse to ride...any places on the right coast?

The Mexi-can

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
i have been up all night getting daniels redbull race bike ready, the thing is stupit SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCKKKKK!! I will get to posting those but first here are some pics of the new Aluminum DJ 4X hardtail, just waiting for production dropouts

The Mexi-can

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
well here they are! the Triton race bike pics. I spent all night building this bike up and I don't even get to get the first ride on it!

The Mexi-can

Chimp
Aug 10, 2005
I am not exactly sure, but it is made with the same easton tubing as the DH. Its light enough. I will weight it tomorrow

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
those bikes look excellent - congrats... looking forward to Cortina getting back on everyone's radar... defn. fell off for a bit.

SOil

Chimp
Jun 24, 2005
Looks very nice, clean and simple. Would prefer satin white to gloss, but thats a detail

Is the current range the DH bike and the DJ/4X or are there any other ones in the range already?

Does the DH frame really cost 2400USD as is says in the website? :eek:

On Kalo MTB's webshop they have an estimate MSRP of $1500 for it.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Best of luck to you guys. Hopefully you can actually make some production frames this time around. Had to be 3-4 times the last few years I read/heard about "we're back with this..." and "we're back with that...", just to not produce anything and disappear again. My original 4130DS didn't work for me, but I was really pleased with your customer service. Hopefully things will work out for you this time.

When did the Triton go all aluminum? I like it! It's sexy. And the stiffening link is a great idea - should be a requirement on all bikes. Nice.

soulfly

Chimp
Feb 27, 2004
Hungary
the triton dh frame looks freekin' sexy. :thumb:
i'd like to see some more pics from the rear end.
does it have a possibility to run a floater on this frame?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
soulfly said:
the triton dh frame looks freekin' sexy. :thumb:
i'd like to see some more pics from the rear end.
does it have a possibility to run a floater on this frame?

adrian had em for the older design but i dont think they were really nessessary...