Quantcast

What have I done?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
A lot of you have seen my dual drive A and think I'm nuts:

I was unhappy with the 34:16 gearing for climbing, so I added two 32 tooth chain rings, so now I can change the gearing by loosening the wheel/chains and moving the chains to the other rings. Are bash guards next? Photos to come...

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
stinkyboy said:
A lot of you have seen my dual drive A and think I'm nuts:

I was unhappy with the 34:16 gearing for climbing, so I added two 32 tooth chain rings, so now I can change the gearing by loosening the wheel/chains and moving the chains to the other rings. Are bash guards next? Photos to come...
Hows the chainline? and the bigger chainring becomes the bashguard...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
JohnE said:
This is cool looking, but are there actual performance benifits?
Dual chains offer nothing but "coolness".

I got the new small rings on, but the chain line was a little off, so I'm gonna talk to my LBS owner this week and try to find a solution. New photos still to come...

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
stinkyboy said:
Dual chains offer nothing but "coolness".

I got the new small rings on, but the chain line was a little off, so I'm gonna talk to my LBS owner this week and try to find a solution. New photos still to come...

what is this 'coolness' thing you speak of ?? seriously, don t try to explain it to johnE... he is soon to be the proud driver of a M I N I V A N :devil:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
JohnE said:
This is cool looking, but are there actual performance benifits?

Yes, it adds weight, thereby negating one of the arguable benefits of singlespeeds, giving the SS-riding yahoo a little less ammunition in an argument about the benefits of singlespeeds.

(Sorry, I will now scurry back to the DH forum where I belong. Stinky, that seems like a fun thing to do.)

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
OGRipper said:
Yes, it adds weight, thereby negating one of the arguable benefits of singlespeeds, giving the SS-riding yahoo a little less ammunition in an argument about the benefits of singlespeeds.

(Sorry, I will now scurry back to the DH forum where I belong. Stinky, that seems like a fun thing to do.)
Actually -- the biggest mechanical/physical advantage of a SS is direct drive. Which most folks with singulators/derails/chain tensioners kill anyways.

As of arguing about singlespeeds - they are simplier. You don't think - you ride. This is what makes singlespeed the biggest benefit for me.

Anyways.. enough :nopity: :nopity: . Ride your bike :) Even if it is a double bonger

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Arsbars said:
As of arguing about singlespeeds - they are simplier. You don't think - you ride. This is what makes singlespeed the biggest benefit for me.
Right, and Stinky's bike is....uh....

twice as simple??

:think:

BTW - Arsbars, wtf have you been?

Arsbars

"Finger Lickin' Good"
Mar 25, 2003
Charlotte, NC
H8R said:
BTW - Arsbars, wtf have you been?

Well you see I work tons, and trying to ride & have a social life. All this equals me not sitting on the forums for 4 hours a day. I lurk here, the XC & the roadie forum. Maybe twice a month I go into the lounge but there are way too many folks on here bashing others for me to read all their banter.

try me on PM or email.. I'm great conversation ;)

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
nothing but coolness and the "benifet" of having to buy twice as many chains and twice as many cogs and twice as many freewheels and twice as many bearings and twice as many chainrings, hey i think i will make a single speed with 4 chains, now that would be cool.Hey if this "thing" catches on(never going to happen) maybe they will start selling chains in two packs. hey and then companys will get the brilliant idea of putting 10 cogs on a cassete

btw im sure your are a big fan of the buy one get one free deal on the chain isle.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So what's going on? Is there one chain on drive, one on non-drive (well I guess drive #2) side or 2 on the drive side? :help:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Spitfired said:
Stinkyboy, what sort of rear hub did you use?
The only flip-flops I'm aware of are for BMX (110mm spacing).
Phil Wood and Surly make some. I'm sure there are more.

So stinky, does that mean the 'non drive side' is left hand threaded?