Quantcast

What have you learned?

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I was thinking about why most of us bother to race when we obviously aren't going to win anything and even if we do it doesn't mean much more than a pat on the back and maybe the admiration of a few friends. Obviously there's the fun of it, but a lot of us even get to that point that we would admit that we would have more pure fun just going and riding and not dealing with all the racing hoopla. I decided that for me, it's about what racing teaches you. It teaches you about yourself, your limits, conquering fear and pain, and any other number of things related to the competitive aspect of it. For me, I think the biggest thing I have learned is perspective. When I started, like a lot of people, I tended to judge my competitors based on performance. I looked up to the fast guys and down on the slower guys. After 7 years of racing, I have realized what a mistake that is. Speed on a bicycle is a very poor measurement of character, and now when I look at a results sheet I care a lot more about seeing someone who I know has worked hard show some improvement than I do about just seeing who went fastest. No one did anything to deserve the amount talent they we're born with, it's just about making the most with what you've got.

So seeing as how we're all buried in snow right now, what life lesson gems have you gleaned from bike racing?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
All sounds a bit deep to me. I just love pushing myself and going as quick as I can. I'm such a race-head that when I go for a "normal" ride I complain about the lack of tape - how am I supposed to know which side of a certain tree to go!! Worrying.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hot chicks handing out free redbull are evil. 12 cans don't give you wings, quite the opposite.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hah, we have the same problem in the UK with Monster at the moment! Red bull's a lot nicer but they don't give it away for free here anymore :(

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hah, we have the same problem in the UK with Monster at the moment! Red bull's a lot nicer but they don't give it away for free here anymore :(
Actualy I prefer monster which is not available in Poland but I probably shouldn't drink that either. Damn I need to start thinking about some healthier lifestyle :P

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I have learned that it's a lot easier to look fast than to go fast, and at the end of the day all I really care about is whether other people think I looked good when I tootled past.

Tracer Tong

Chimp
Mar 21, 2009
I learned that you shouldn't push it too hard just because it's a race. If you're riding bad, making stupid mistakes all over, then you should do that slowly. My last race was a season ender, separated shoulder, three months ago. My first ride back was today.

If you're riding bad, ride bad slowly. That's what I learned.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I learned last season that racing is so fun. Also, it elevates the progression of an individuals riding quite faster than just going out and freeriding I think, or at least it did for me last season. I went to diablo at the US Open, and didn't go at all the rest of the summer. 5-7 GES races later, I went there at diabloween, and I hit those trails faster in the rain, seconds faster in the rain, then I could have ridden those trails in the dry.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
LEFT TURNS TO THE GRAVE!!!1!!11!
Seriously though, my grandfather asked me a similar question, after I had told him how much money I spent last year on bike parts racing (not to mention getting to the races) he asked me "and how much money have you won doing this?" my answer was maybe 100$ then he asked me what the point of doing it was, I had to think about it for a second but what mostly came to mind is there is just something about going as fast as you can down a hill over rocks and between trees that can't be replicated in anything else I have ever experienced, and its a hell of a lot cheaper than rally racing.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's not about the bike, it's the rider. My **** is pretty dialed and all I need to do is learn to ride it better.

Don't gas in the first 30. I got huffed at plattekill and wasn't even 50% of the way through, but the course was pretty flat....I nearly died.

Race more! Seriously, I used to be a "why race, riding is fun" kind of guy, but I tried it for the first time in several years recently and had a blast....now I'm going to try and race more this year and see if i can get where I want to be.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
For me, the race run is way different than any normal run at a resort. The mindset you get into when racing ,as well as before and after the race is something i cant get outside of racing DH. I think that is what keeps me coming back (and of course how fun it is!).

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
A lot? I can sum up a lot of what I have learned in cliche' phrases:
- I've only got one game, and it's my A game
- I didn't come here to get second place.
- I've only got one speed, and it's Go.
- You never know how far you can go, until you've gone to far. Once you know that limit, hang it all out to stay on the edge.

From Pre (the movie), and a lesson I took to heart while still in crew, but really lived by while racing: "I'm no better than anybody else here today; I'm just willing to take more pain." About pushing yourself further and harder than anyone else, to stay the best.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
That when a girlfriend says no its usually bring it baby, when the wife says no it means "touch me and Ill cut those nuts off!!!"

Oh and yeah relax when at the starting gate and focus, fight the tunnel vision and adrenaline. Hold it till its time to lay it out!

Oh and I think Zark makes maps or something, Jonkranked makes packaging for toys or did! Just a few things Ive learned.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Jonkranked makes packaging for toys or did!
I am now an ex- Santa's Helper. I do medical device stuff now. If anyone needs suture packs for their first aid kit, gimme a holler (pliers not included).

Ps wattup trav-o! come east sometime this summer! you'll love it

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
If anyone needs suture packs for their first aid kit, gimme a holler (pliers not included).
Have one... Dreading the day I have to use it but it comes to Whistler with me every time. I'm too broke to pay the $500 fee god forbid I ever have to go to the "clinic" up there. I've also got some liquid sutures like some sort of medical grade super glue, thats been used a couple times to mend pedal smashies.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I am now an ex- Santa's Helper. I do medical device stuff now. If anyone needs suture packs for their first aid kit, gimme a holler (pliers not included).

Ps wattup trav-o! come east sometime this summer! you'll love it
Im going to try, Jerry, mike and I are going to travel this season racing. Bobby got the racing bug and if/when he gets back from Germany hes onboard as always!

If you get a chance to head this direction we'll do the beacon race (spokane washington) Its full of waterfall drops, step ups (cliff wall), doubles rock chutes... LOL Its a full on freeride DH race. Nut up or shut up riding, best part is its some pretty cool people... Youd dig it!

Ill ask the wife, she took time off for sea otter, so Ill be racing it. Shes going to cancun with her sisters the following month so shes more liberal to my scheduel this season! :thumb:

Life is good!!!

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I learned that it isn't all about going as fast as you can. If you do that you will make mistakes and end up hurting your run and possibly yourself.

For me I have found my racing 'zone' is doing about 80%-85%. Save the 85%+ for safe parts of the course where you can potentially make up some serious time (uphills, pedally sections, etc).

Last year was my first year racing in the semi-pro/pro class in the local races and I knocked 10+ seconds off of my previous years times.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
-Have fun and relax during practice...do bar humps over jumps,try and pass your friends,throw roost,hang some feet off,etc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The Internet begs to differ.

Lemme know when you're going to Platty next.
sure dude. Just got some fresh springs on the rig so it can better support my fat gut. Now if I can just custom paint my d3 to match my neon orange and turquoise TLD pajamas I'll be ready to ride!

Thinking about getting a season's there, but it's 4.5hrs from here, and the two day bonus pack is a pretty good way to go...

lamp

Monkey
Mar 21, 2008
Mostly I would say I am learning about focus.

Spectators seem to love it when you scream back at them.

Not sure how to describe it but during the race run I take what spectators say really seriously. The course comes first, but if I get a chance to think and mull over what I have heard on the run it can take me a while to realize that some statement that seemed normal is actually ridiculous :p

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I learned that I love to hit everything wide open.

You always have to hold a little back when you're just out riding when your friends, you never know when someone might crash in front of you, or some guy might have a dog off leash down the trail... But racing on a closed course, you can hang it out without a care in the world.

Sometimes I do well, sometimes I crash and sometimes I just end up facing the wrong way at the end of a tight corner, but I always have fun.

I also like beer, and there's usually lots of that at the bottom when you're done.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
I have learned my opinion of a course may be swayed positively by if they hand out hot sauce.

I have also learned not exercising and having a few beers before a race does not help... over and over again. It's all for fun when you're an "eternal beginner" :D

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I just think that racing puts me into a different mindset. I have never ridden quite as fast "just riding" as I have during my race runs. I also never thought quite so much about line choice and strategy before I started racing. I personally love the strategy of picking your lines, where to sprint, where to chill out, etc. All this has trickled down to my "just riding" and I feel more comfortable going fast, turning hard, drifting around, etc. My ability to read terrain, pick lines, etc has made all my riding more fun.

I also think that totally spent, shaking with adrenaline, holy-sh!t-I-survived feeling at the bottom of the hill is priceless...especially when your buddy hands you a beer straight away.

Most of all though, it's just a good time to race with buddies...there are 3-4 for old friends I have been riding with forever and we always get a kick out of comparing times, talking about what went wrong, and sharing cool lines we've found.