Quantcast

What is a big drop now a days for normal guys

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Just wondering, What are people considering "big" drops now a days.

and are we now mesureing drops in real time units or pluggin them in the the "ego equation"

n= actual units
------
(n*2)-(n/2)= distance fallen

so if I did an 8 foot drop I would post it was actualy a 12 foot drop
-------

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
I would say to your average dh'er 10' is pretty large. As far as measureing, i do my best to measure a straight line from launch point to out to the point of the rear tire landing. I then measure up from point of rear tire contact to the artificial line...obviously not scientifically correct to the .01", but im sure its with-in half a foot.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Right now my biggest is about 4 '. I measure the top of the ledge to the landing but don't factor in the angle of the landing. When I tell peple about a drop I tell them the drops height (but my height would be higher if it is a dh landing. SOmetimes I mention that it was steep and say how far out I went.
Measuring to where the rear tire went is an in accurate way to do it. My biggest drop is probably 6' or maybe even 7' if you measure to the landed spot on the landing..

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Around 10 is the biggest drop I have done. We just don't have many big hits out here :p I would say that 15ft would start to get into the scary big drop height for me.

musicman

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
12 feet and up seems big to me, but it depends on the drop. i havent done anything that big, but i measure the drop of the rock/ladder , not the actual drop to the landing point on the tranny, so in reality when i say a 7 foot drop, the way some people see it, it could ezily be like 10 feet to where u land but i still beleve that the tranny shouldnt be calculated into the drop no matter how far down it u land. so if there is 6 foot of vertical rock its a 6 footer even if u land 12 feet down the tranny. just my .02

dream4est

Monkey
Jan 28, 2003
Swine said:
I would say to your average dh'er 10' is pretty large. As far as measureing, i do my best to measure a straight line from launch point to out to the point of the rear tire landing. I then measure up from point of rear tire contact to the artificial line...obviously not scientifically correct to the .01", but im sure its with-in half a foot.
thats not even close or accurate at all. you use right triangle math to figure out a drops height. you use a tape measure, an angle finder and a scientific calculator. the long side of the triangle (lip to landing) is side c. the height (or drop) is side b. measure side c and place the angle finder on the tape measure (angle is called d). then solve for b.
b=c sin d
for instance if the lip to landing is 20 feet and the angle is 45 degrees the drop is 14.1421 feet.
now this does not take into account any real world issues like how much sheer cliff was invloved or how long the tranny is. that varies by drop (and determines the difficulty. all cliff no tranny is much harder than all tranny no cliff). but all the big drops done by pros like bender, super t, simmons, morrell, etc are usually measured by the above equation.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
musicman said:
12 feet and up seems big to me, but it depends on the drop. i havent done anything that big, but i measure the drop of the rock/ladder , not the actual drop to the landing point on the tranny, so in reality when i say a 7 foot drop, the way some people see it, it could ezily be like 10 feet to where u land but i still beleve that the tranny shouldnt be calculated into the drop no matter how far down it u land. so if there is 6 foot of vertical rock its a 6 footer even if u land 12 feet down the tranny. just my .02
That is how I do it. The drop goes down to the start of landing, which is flat or sloped depending upon the angle. If you measure from where people land to the edge of the drop, it will always be different depending upon each rider and their speed, bunny hop, .....etc.. I measure the vertical height of the drop with out the landing.
That way, it will always be only one size. Someone could say if you go to the left or right it is bigger or smaller. One side of the drop would just be bigger than the other, or there could be a couple heights depending where the landing starts.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
I think most people look at stuff over a genuine 6ft as part of a trail as reasonably big. If it's just a one-off where you can concentrate on the drop itself, a bit higher maybe (8-10ft I guess). Most stuff I think is well and truly exaggerated by the people measuring it - if you're dropping off something over head height, you're falling a fair way. Unless you set your bike up to be very very stiff (or it is extremely progressive) then any drop that size will generally bottom the bike out pretty hard.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
If the landing is really steep, more of the force will go forward/down instead of pushing the force straight into the suspension like on a drop to flat.

If you are going faster, I think, it will be take away some of the vertical force on the suspension and more force will be in going forward.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Anything under 100 feet you are supposed to be wearing a day-glo orange shirt that says BEGINNER in huge letters.

MTNPSYCHO

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Peabody, Mass
musicman said:
Well, what is the point just past where the drop/ladder ends is unlandable?....the drop may still be 6ft(or whatever) from the closest point to the ground, but if you dont land there, then its not really where u should measure...if you want to know how big the drop you just did is, its simply vertical drop from take off point, to where the rear wheel lands....

Say you are in a parking lot, and at the end of the lot, is a curb, and on the other side of that curb is a drop off.....you lay a plank on the curb, so its basically a 6" high jump, but when you hit it, and land 25 feet down the hill on the other side, is it still a 6" drop?.....or say you are jumping stairs.....you go fast, and clear 20 stairs, never touching down along the way, but never actually going more than a couple feet above the stairs as you drop.....say the take off point(top stair) is 15 feet above where the bottom stair is...how are you going to measure it then?...
I just dont see how you can measure a drop any other way than vertical drop of the rear tire....
there is a cliff drop near me, that basically has 4+ landing spots, all from the same takeoff point....there is a difference of about 5-6 feet between a couple of the spots.....if one guy takes the easier way and lands on the small side, and another takes the harder drop and lands 6 feet further down, did they do the same size drop? Its the same takeoff point, and same distance from the top of the drop itself to the bottom....

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dw said:
Anything under 100 feet you are supposed to be wearing a day-glo orange shirt that says BEGINNER in huge letters.
DW that just made me laugh outloud but shouldnt it say "n00b r0X0rs"

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
dream4est said:
thats not even close or accurate at all. you use right triangle math to figure out a drops height. you use a tape measure, an angle finder and a scientific calculator. the long side of the triangle (lip to landing) is side c. the height (or drop) is side b. measure side c and place the angle finder on the tape measure (angle is called d). then solve for b.
b=c sin d
for instance if the lip to landing is 20 feet and the angle is 45 degrees the drop is 14.1421 feet.
now this does not take into account any real world issues like how much sheer cliff was invloved or how long the tranny is. that varies by drop (and determines the difficulty. all cliff no tranny is much harder than all tranny no cliff). but all the big drops done by pros like bender, super t, simmons, morrell, etc are usually measured by the above equation.

Waaay to scientific.....we're bike riding here...not launching the shuttle. Best way is get it in a photo and let others do the math.

Turd Ferguson

Monkey
Dec 21, 2004
Burbank
If you are new you measure how far you jumped/dropped. If you've done more than two drops you measure lip to tip of tranny. Most people I know that go big(Sick James) under estimate the size of the drop. It seems to be an ego thing. He did diggers cliff and says it's about 15 to 18 feet. It looks 25-30 but I think it measures 26'.

btw DW you are Evil :evil:

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
dream4est said:
b=c sin d
This is completely correct, however you need to factor in both the "gnar quotient" and the "trick multiplier"

For example:

Once you have figured the height of the drop, if anyone in the shot is throwing the horns, multiply the drop height by 1.14157.

If a barturn is being thrown, that adds 50% of the height.

You get it.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Exactly 'Vang.

Conversely: If the person taking the jump is making any odd/wierd facial contortions either mid-air or pre-take off, subtract the travel of the riders bike from the overall drop height.

Also: If the rider is trying a trick that is absurdly more difficult than they are capable of and abort it halfway, then divide by half of the hypotenuse...

Swine

Monkey
Jan 8, 2003
Alpharetta, Ga
dream4est said:
b=c sin d

Yay, you have your exact drop height, if i wanted exact i height...i would go into the equations. Anyone who really doesnt care and just wants a decent rough estimation of how high a drop is will be plenty happy with the horizontal line/eyeball method. Like i said, my measurement will be within the 6 inches. This method gets a bit more difficult for larger drops as its harder to eyeball.

I may be wrong, but our launch is flat. So if your measure out a straight line to the point of impact, it is impossible to get to the point of impact without dropping the minimum of the amount of the short leg of the triangle.

Also on not including the landing point. We had a drop at Sky Valley that was mostly all tranny...if you didnt include the tranny, it was a 3-4 ft drop...it was almost impossible to land at the top of the tranny. Even the slowest coast and you would end up 6-7 feet down. So i call bull crap on that. Can you call it a 6-7-8 footer? NO, becuase everyone will ride differently and drop differently...but to say that you didnt drop the 6-7-8 feet(once measured of course) that you did is just stupid.

If your telling someone how high youve dropped and not actually describing a drop, there is no reason not to measure from point of impact. If were describing the drop...i say we take an average of where most people land and call it that(that describtion would be the most correct to a rider that you dont know).

Why am i getting so caught up in this...i must be a focking n00b.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
S.K.C. said:
Exactly 'Vang.

Conversely: If the person taking the jump is making any odd/wierd facial contortions either mid-air or pre-take off, subtract the travel of the riders bike from the overall drop height.

Also: If the rider is trying a trick that is absurdly more difficult than they are capable of and abort it halfway, then divide by half of the hypotenuse...
Ahh... how could I forget... SKC knows his freechucking.

Don't forget the "tatoo exponential"

For any tatoo showing while doing drops, take the hypotenuse and raise it to the power of the number of tatoos shown, then calculate drop height. Zachy Dank is a pro at this one. Additional 10% if the tatoo is bike related, say a chain around your bicep.

Don't forget, the tatoo has to show to count, so break out those sleeveless shirts!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I always multiply the vertical by the horizontal. So a 10 foot drop landed 10 feet out is a 100 Foot Drop!!! Woohoo I rock! I'm even approaching the DW echelon!! FUKKKK YEAH!!!!!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Kadvang:
Don't forget the "tatoo exponential"
For any tatoo showing while doing drops, take the hypotenuse and raise it to the power of the number of tatoos shown, then calculate drop height. Zachy Dank is a pro at this one. Additional 10% if the tatoo is bike related, say a chain around your bicep.
LOL - that's phucking hilarious!

...but so true.