Quantcast

What is a good clipless shoe I can walk in?

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Wondering opinions on what is a good shoe I can use for clipless pedals, but also that I can walk around in or hike a little bit in comfortably. Since shoes are a little hard to try out I figured I would see if anyone had any opinions on the issue. Thanks. (note pedal type isnt part of the issue because I still have yet to decide what pedals I am getting so all suggestions welcome).

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Any of the "recreational" shoes (the ones that look kinda like hiking boots) should be at least decent for walking.

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
As for pedals, I highly recommend Crank Brothers. They're a great deal--Candy's are $48 at performancebike.com, and Eggbeaters are $50 at danscomp.com--plus they don't not pack any mud. I've never ridden Time pedals, but I hear they're also good, although spendier.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I'll second the Eggbeaters. I've had mine for a year. Mud clearance is great....raced where the mud was so bad that my tires would stop rolling, but I was at least able to clip and unclip just fune.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah I was thinking of eggbeaters...thanks a lot for the site though for a good price. I've never ridden them before so I was wondering how do they feel for stability with such a small contact point with the foot?

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
GumbaFish said:
Yeah I was thinking of eggbeaters...thanks a lot for the site though for a good price. I've never ridden them before so I was wondering how do they feel for stability with such a small contact point with the foot?
The contact point feels the same as the Shimano's I've ridden--all you actually contact when clipped in is the clamping mechanism, for any pedal (that is, unless there's interference with the shoe). In other words, stability is fine. I've been riding Mallets on my DH bike since they came out last summer, and I wouldn't consider anything other than Time (and only if they were cheaper).

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I almost forgot--go to qbike.com to find good deals. It searches several, but not all, major online retailers, as well as eBay Cycling.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i always try to find a shoe with aggressive tread so i can walk on those hike a bike sections that some trails throw your way.
Any bikey shoe is gonna be fine, but if you spend some serious money on a pair look for good solid strong stitching, proper fit, strong grommets if it has laces and if it has laces make sure it has a velcro or some other cover to avoid snagging.
As with most bikey related clothing items i always wait for blowout deals, cheaper is always better. Shoes usually last me 1 to 2 years so if i run into a steal of a deal i might pick up a couple pair.(i ride year around in the wet Pac N.W.,can be pretty brutal on shoes)

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I was also thinking of shimano m520 pedals...any thoughts on those. Although I like riding in the snow and thus that is why I was attracted to the eggbeaters It isnt something I would say I do that often so its not that big of an issue.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
GumbaFish said:
I was also thinking of shimano m520 pedals...any thoughts on those. Although I like riding in the snow and thus that is why I was attracted to the eggbeaters It isnt something I would say I do that often so its not that big of an issue.
i run pd 646 just to have the option of a platform to keep my momentum going if i come unclipped. But i must say that the only time they really fail to work well is in the snow. Probably not so bad in powder but on the wetter stuff that is pretty common here it really clogs up bad. But if you never come unclipped you have it made haha.
Seems like the eggbeater would really work well in that situation. They profess it to be better in mud although i really don't have much issues with mud on my shimano's. Depends on if you gotta a lot of clay in your soil i suppose....

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
HippieKai said:
nike makes the kaddo (sp?) that seems to be very popular.
:stupid:

I second his choice. I had the Nike (I thought they were called trail dogs or something) But they were super comfy and when walking on even cement the cleat never hit the ground. They have a very aggressive tread for keeping traction on the steep loose stuff. I would have gotten them again except no one had them when my original pair died. I now have a pair of Addidas that are very similar.

****** woo hoo 1,000 posts! :eek:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I have a pair of 661 Launch shoes that I use for everyday stuff with a crank bros cleat in them. They're somewhat stiff, but after you break them in they feel fine. Skate styling...don't look like a hiking shoe if you're into that.

J

JRB

genpowell71 said:
I own a pair of cannondale MC900's, and I havent had anty issues with them. I had some Shimano's before and they made my feet hurt after awhile
:stupid:
While I wear strictly stiff soled XC shoes now, when walking, any of the cannondales are great. I had the MC900s and they were hot. Given the chance to do it again, I would get mesh of some sort from Cannondale.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
These are my favorite clipless shoes out of any I've used. The sole works great with eggbeater pedals without any shims (my northwaves don't even with all the shims):

SHIMANO® SH-M058

wardo

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
Chehalis, WA
I use inexpensive boot style bike shoes in the winter, when I'm trail building or exploring off the bike in the woods. As stated by some of the earlier posts, the NW winters are death on shoes. For the rest of the rides nothing has topped a SIDI. They cost more, but you don't even know you are wearing shoes when pedalling.

Time pedals were recommended when I was cross racing, when the dismounting and running sections were packing the spds with mud. Once I switched, I never went back. They are similar in design to the candy and egg beaters, so I would suspect that the performance would be the same. The candy pedals actually look my next option, since there is some larger foot surface for those times you need to keep the pedals going but are not yet clipped in.

Wardo

Softy

Monkey
Apr 22, 2003
Don't call it a come back
The Specialized rockhopper shoes are esay to walk in. Flexible toe box makes it easy to climb over the rocks. On my second pair now . Got 2 years out of the first pair. Have used spd and eggbeater cleats with only a little modification.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I have Shimano M221's. They are great MTB shoes, but are DEATH on my feet when I have to walk in them.

So how is this post useful? Well, I guess you don't want to spend $180 on these if you are looking for a good shoe you can walk in, too. :)

whoopnar

Monkey
Sep 11, 2004
Chico, CA
Try the Time Z pedals. As for shoes that are easy to walk in, try the 661 Launch shoes. They are super comfortable and easy to walk in. They look like skate shoes as well.