Quantcast

what is a real bike shop? not who is the shop

britinmtb

Chimp
Apr 7, 2005
kent
i am looking to see what the rider really wants out of a shop? i believe a real shop is someone who accomadates you with your needs that does not mean they have it in stock but it means that they can get it in a timely manner, as well as a resonable price. if you feel different let me know i want some input to see what you guys are looking for from a shop

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
britinmtb said:
i am looking to see what the rider really wants out of a shop? i believe a real shop is someone who accomadates you with your needs that does not mean they have it in stock but it means that they can get it in a timely manner, as well as a resonable price. if you feel different let me know i want some input to see what you guys are looking for from a shop
Yes, if they can get it in quickly, and not forget to order you parts :mumble: Also, repair turn around is pretty important to me. Price? Well, sure it's important, but if I'm getting treated right then I price isn't that high on list for me.

I will take great customer service over price any day :thumb:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Snacks said:
Yes, if they can get it in quickly, and not forget to order you parts :mumble: Also, repair turn around is pretty important to me. Price? Well, sure it's important, but if I'm getting treated right then I price isn't that high on list for me.

I will take great customer service over price any day :thumb:
:stupid:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Cycles De Oro. Greensboro, NC. I have found that the customers get sooo excited when you tell them that they don't have to leave their bike with you. Walk-ins are great and a lot of times gets you good tip$. Also, be honest. If a customer comes in and wants an overhaul, be sure to tell them if they don't need it. This will please them and they will trust you better and be a customer for life.

britinmtb said:

when I go to a shop, I just wanted to be treated well. Not "OMG, your a DH'r or Roadie" Just hey you ride bikes too! cool
Second, If I need a part, I would liek to get it soon. I know this is hard..but I know of some shops (alki bike and board) that are on product buying hold and would still take your money and the order would wait..thats shady!! with a capital..S?
Third, Honesty..if they cant help me send me in the right direction....personaly if a shop cant get me what I needed at that time btu helps me gte what I need..I will go bakc ot shop A for being honest and helpfull.
Lastly, Scott at Bike works is a great example! That guy rocks! DHZ has been really good to me ! Ajs's shop will be good when it opens soon! GHY Bikes! In renton! Keep your eyes out!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Small part selection. I know it's expensive to stock small parts but if it has to be ordered, I might as well go with the mail order guy.

Reasons I go to a shop:
I need the part now or I'm just being inpatient
I need a small part that is a PITA to order
I just worked 15 hrs of OT and I feel like buying a toy
I want to try it on first (shoes, shorts)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
bibs said:
when I go to a shop, I just wanted to be treated well. Not "OMG, your a DH'r or Roadie" Just hey you ride bikes too! cool
Second, If I need a part, I would liek to get it soon. I know this is hard..but I know of some shops (alki bike and board) that are on product buying hold and would still take your money and the order would wait..thats shady!! with a capital..S?
Third, Honesty..if they cant help me send me in the right direction....personaly if a shop cant get me what I needed at that time btu helps me gte what I need..I will go bakc ot shop A for being honest and helpfull.
Lastly, Scott at Bike works is a great example! That guy rocks! DHZ has been really good to me ! Ajs's shop will be good when it opens soon! GHY Bikes! In renton! Keep your eyes out!
That's the reason i go to Center Cycle. Dave and Lupe are good people.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I'll take honesty any day. I know everyone's gotta make a buck -but be honest about your deliverables and time frames, and if you "can't" do something, like a warranty due to a bad relationship or something with the company or laziness, be honest so the customer can go find someone else.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
What to do:
Walk in repairs for small stuff like a derailluer tweak, star nut, or part change.
Have common parts in stock.
Stock derailluer hangers for all the bikes you sell.
Hire mechanics that don't do more harm than good.
Sales people that know what they are talking about.
Install a part a customer buys, for a minimal charge, on the spot. Don't make a customer who just bought a $775 fox F100X fork wait two weeks for an install, and then gouge them on price.

What no to do (actual examples):

"Dude we're all booked up, if you leave it I'll look at it in about two weeks"
Take my money for a special order wheel rebuild, and when I call back two weeks later tell me you forgot to order the part.
Give me my bike back from a tune-up running worse than when I brought it in.

++++++++++++

I stopped supporting several of my local bike shops when they consistantly returned my bikes in worse condition after tune-ups, didn't know what they were talking about, lied about ordering parts or the work done on my bike, or were completely unhelpful with warranty issues. I do my own bike work, even though I can afford to have the shop do it, because so many shops have hosed up my bikes. If I'm doing my own work, I'm ordering my won parts, mail order.

I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for an in-stock part instead of ordering it mail order. I'm not going to pay a shop $59 and wait a week for a front derailluer that's not in stock, when I can get it mail order for $39 in two days. You might offer a 20% or so discount off of all special orders. You won't make as much from the part but you'll make something. One of the reasons shops try to justify their high prices is the overhead of keeping a part in stock, when you special order for a customer you don't have the overhead of keeping the part in inventory.

When a bike leaves the shop it should be right. Make sure the customer is satisfied before the bike leaves. If it isn't fix it at no charge. If someone has to bring back a bike because some work wasn't done correctly, don't argue, fix it, compensate the customer for his trouble and be done with it.

If someone buys a bike from you, make minor adjustments for free. If they show up and say "the brake is making a squeling noise, could you look at it?" your answer should be "sure, bring it right over here" Not "I can schedule a tune up for next week, that will be $50". Charge for major work and tune-ups, let the little stuff slide. Happy customers buy bikes, parts and service. unhappy customers change shops.

If you have high dollar customers with expensive bikes, make sure you take good care of them. When someone who bought a $3000 bike needs a tune-up for a race next week or an emergency part replacement, squeeze him in, keep him happy. You don't have to make it a publicly know policy, just make it happen.

The bottom line is most LBS's that complain about customers leaving or ordering mail order parts have shot themselves in the foot with poor customer service.

Dave_Schuldt

Monkey
Jun 13, 2004
Seattle
will take great customer service over price any day

Yup

The attitude of the employees is important too. I don't want some racer X type looking down his nose at my comuter bike.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Best shop is Down Cycles. AJ often has what I need in stock, or will get it in a timely fashion. Also builds the toughest wheels I've ever ridden.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I also like the willingness to do maybe a little bit more then other shops would do, of course if you ask them nicely. Like a while back I broke a spoke but when I went to my lbs he didnt have the right kind to replace it so he drove to another shop to get the spoke and got the wheel all trued up for me in like a day just because he knew I really wanted to ride because of a brief period of nice weather. Or just the other day I went to one here at school and I needed to get some ceramic v-brake pads but they only had one in stock. Since I dont have a car here and its about a 21 mile round trip ride there I asked if maybe they could order another pair and mail it to me when it came in, and of course they complied. Just little stuff like that is nice, also sponsoring local riders is a big plus in my book.

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I can see a bike shop owner meeting the customer service needs of the riders on this post. The troubles is finding an employee that will do the same for wage that might be hard to live off of. I can imagine that an owner would keep an employee if he comes to work everyday and doesn't smell like booze or drool on himself, :drool: even if he isn't always friendly to customers or real quick with a wrench.

Employees that are hard working, friendly, intelligent, and knowledgeable are not easy to find and hard to keep with bike shop hourly wages.

Sounds like a lot of you guys are asking for someone like yourself to work in a bike shop, but you're not there for the same reason I'm not there...I need mo money! I'd love to wrench all day and talk about bikes, but it wouldn't pay my mortgage and get my kids through college.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Ok, I just remembered something that really bugs me. When you go there for one part, they dont have it, and they say "oh we'll order it and have it in a day or two." And they have you leave your bike there and charge you for a 1 or 2 day holding fee. Dont some shops do that!? ...I forget, because I have been going to a good shop for a while. :)

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
Good customer service is always key. A knowledgeable staff is always good. I know not everyone in a shop can specialize in all areas, but if you don't know the answer, get someone who does or look it up....don't just fumble around and not give me answer, give me a half-assed answer, or the wrong answer. Also, have items that you recommend and why. If I'm looking for something that I'm not decided on, I'll ask for input and recommendations. If you can't back up your reasons or even give me a recommendation, you just lost a sale!

Oh yea, and a good variety of socks will also always keep me going back to a shop!!! (Yes, I'm a sock whore :p)

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
PsychO!1 said:
I'M GOING TO OLD TOWN!!!!! :thumb:

someone saw sin city :)

for me its simple...

a shop has to be friendly. i have been into shops and treated horribly by a wrench looking down at everyone; this just wont do. when someone asks a question, dont assume they are dumb. treat them as you want their business.

a shop needs to have someone on all shifts that knows their stuff about the main types of bikes and their issues. not every wrench needs to know everything..for what they are paid, it is impossible. but a senior mech who knows their stuff? priceless in my books.

hours are important. not everyone can make it in to get their bike looked at, or drop in for a part during 9-5 hours...the rest of the world works...i love the fact that greggs is open so late...its perfect for me.

mechs who are involved with your scene; be it road, xc, dh, fr, etc...we have taken road trips with our mechs to the shore, woodlot, whistler, etc...just seeing a mech at the local jumps...it really makes a difference...

community involvement...sponsoring events, volunteering mech support...something. it REALLY makes a difference in peoples eyes and creates customers for life.

when you lose a valueable mech...replace him/her with someone just as value added. nuff said.

stock? meh. not that important to me. if i need a part from the shop i go to, and they dont have it...i trust they can get it when they say they can. people cant expect every single part to always be there. car dealers are the same way. i have taken my vw in for a fix a few times and they just didnt have the part(s) on hand...its life. but be honest about availability and obtainability of said parts in question. thats all i care about.

i agree with having the small important parts avail for the frames a shop sells...if you sell bighits..have their der hangers, bushings, etc on stock. that SHOULD be part of a requirement to carry a brand anyways.

i think people who expect preferential treatment are asking a bit much. sure mechs give it anyways, but dont expect it. also people shouldnt expect "bro" deals either. a loyal patron gets both of these because they are loyal...not because they should expect it :)

a smart thing would be to have 2 shops that you frequent...for me, its greggs in greenlake and unreal in ballard.
-ben (unreal) has NEVER treated me bad, has always been super honest, and he knows his stuff. his parts avail sucks, but he tells everyone that isnt his thing...he is a mailorder shop that carrys very little in his stock room...if you can wait for a part, he is the best place to go.
-greggs has always treated chelsey and myself quite well despite all of the broken bikes we have brought in. there are a few mechs there that i trust with my bikes and chelsey trusts with her bikes..that is important. they are super fair priced, stand behind their work...and tend to always have the random parts i need somehow...perfect example of why i go there...
...i needed a size 8 allen for my hadley hub...they didnt have any in stock that didnt have a full set with it. one of the sales guys went into his bag, grabbed his personal one and said i could have it. i offered to pay him for it..but he just told me to take it....

that is going way above/beyond and is something i did not expect..i was fine with having to go elsewhere to find what i needed, but they put my needs above their own. because of this and the above reasons, they have a patron for life :)

i dont think i expect rediculous things from a shop and so far unreal and greggs has lived up to what i expect...

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

KNine

Monkey
Jul 18, 2004
North American For Life
I have been to a number of shops in the Puget Sound area and If your in Seattle. No question, you have to give Dave and Lupe at Center Cycle your business. If your in the south end and i include Olympia in this. You have to see Tory and the crew at Old Town Bicycle in Tacoma and if you live over on the peninsula. Dmitri and crew at Old Town Gig Harbor will take care of you.

Ya know, I just got back form the DHZ. I foind it really funny how you al bash them considering that they started the whole DH thing in hte Northest and went out on a limb and opened a shop 6 1/2 years ago! he guys are bumming htat they get no respect after all they have put into the industry. Super go is not the next Dh/freeride shop..thats a bunch of ****! You internet Dhers need to re-think alot of your "posts" Scotty, Darren and Adam have helped me out a bunch and at the races always gave me a hand, since hte get go for me. Im no one special but htey are still cool to me and helped me out cause Im in the same deal as them, I love to ride!
If this shop would have never opened or helped half of you out, you wouldnt be doing what ayou are today! And many shops are trying ot fallow their footsteps! You all need to have more respect, whats going to happen to another shop when they open? You all gonna get on-line and dogg them cause they didnt have a spoke nipple you needed?

And if you did get any attitude from them its most likey cause you are in fact a azzhole yourself and had a attitude. Darren my be a bit gruff, but he will tel you that from the get-go! Scotty and Adam cool as hell! And they ty their hardest to help you all pout and stay a float! Its a ****ing buisness not a church! Do you see a cross above their shop?

get my point?
Dont dogg the little guys , it will bite you in the ass.
I am bummed that the guys at DHZ ar so bummed and realy took ot heart the bashing....after what they do.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I take it they gave you the "Reach Around" verses the "Dirty Sanchez"??

bibs said:
Ya know, I just got back form the DHZ. I foind it really funny how you al bash them considering that they started the whole DH thing in hte Northest and went out on a limb and opened a shop 6 1/2 years ago! he guys are bumming htat they get no respect after all they have put into the industry. Super go is not the next Dh/freeride shop..thats a bunch of ****! You internet Dhers need to re-think alot of your "posts" Scotty, Darren and Adam have helped me out a bunch and at the races always gave me a hand, since hte get go for me. Im no one special but htey are still cool to me and helped me out cause Im in the same deal as them, I love to ride!
If this shop would have never opened or helped half of you out, you wouldnt be doing what ayou are today! And many shops are trying ot fallow their footsteps! You all need to have more respect, whats going to happen to another shop when they open? You all gonna get on-line and dogg them cause they didnt have a spoke nipple you needed?

And if you did get any attitude from them its most likey cause you are in fact a azzhole yourself and had a attitude. Darren my be a bit gruff, but he will tel you that from the get-go! Scotty and Adam cool as hell! And they ty their hardest to help you all pout and stay a float! Its a ****ing buisness not a church! Do you see a cross above their shop?

get my point?
I am bummed that the guys at DHZ ar so bummed and realy took ot heart the bashing....after what they do.

Tootrikky said:
I take it they gave you the "Reach Around" verses the "Dirty Sanchez"??
actually no, I did get quick service on a wheelset, 24 hours to build them...that was killer!

How may times have any of oyu been ina bind and hed to run up there to get somthing no other shop had? (wel those of you in the area) Why would you say that? have they treated you bad? proly not...

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
bibs said:

get my point?
I just read through this entire thread....Who bashed DHZ? :confused:

Edit: I just realized there was two threads on shop pros/cons on RM. Haven't read the other one yet...it's like 10 pages or something...

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
Dude are you on the Sauce?

bibs said:
actually no, I did get quick service on a wheelset, 24 hours to build them...that was killer!

How may times have any of oyu been ina bind and hed to run up there to get somthing no other shop had? (wel those of you in the area) Why would you say that? have they treated you bad? proly not...

Tootrikky said:
Dude are you on the Sauce?
I didnt mean you individually...Im not on the suace...we had a chit-chat today and it all made sense...alot of internet people go off on stuff that is not right...Im sick of peoplle flexing thier emusclces...and people backing super go is even more lame...EVEN people who work in the industry... :nope: not saying you at all...just ridedonkey as a whole!! :evil:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My boss has an interesting theory to small parts: he doesn't stock them.

Now I know there will be a thousand flames to this post, but after explaining it to me, it makes good sense.

Lets say a customer comes in and wants a screw for PartX. Only a senior level employee would know where that screw might be. So he goes and spends 10 minutes to find a .59 screw which we sell for $1. If this employee makes $12, you have lost $1.41 on that transaction.

Now you might say it is good business to stock small parts. Then which ones should you stock? Campy screws? Shimano screws? Sram screws? Brake bolts? Derailleur bolts? Crank bolts? This list goes on and on.

We do have a small collection of parts, and I will spend 15 minutes looking for a missing screw if I think we have it. But stocking replacement small parts is very difficult.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
sanjuro said:
My boss has an interesting theory to small parts: he doesn't stock them.

Now I know there will be a thousand flames to this post, but after explaining it to me, it makes good sense.

Lets say a customer comes in and wants a screw for PartX. Only a senior level employee would know where that screw might be. So he goes and spends 10 minutes to find a .59 screw which we sell for $1. If this employee makes $12, you have lost $1.41 on that transaction.

Now you might say it is good business to stock small parts. Then which ones should you stock? Campy screws? Shimano screws? Sram screws? Brake bolts? Derailleur bolts? Crank bolts? This list goes on and on.

We do have a small collection of parts, and I will spend 15 minutes looking for a missing screw if I think we have it. But stocking replacement small parts is very difficult.
Thats when you invest in those storage containers that have hundreds of little draweres and go crazy with a label maker! :)