Quantcast

what is a real bike shop? not who is the shop

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
MUTOLI said:
Thats when you invest in those storage containers that have hundreds of little draweres and go crazy with a label maker! :)
Never thought of that one. I can have one drawer for Shimano XT derailleur screws 1990, one for 1992, one for 1996, one for 1999, one for 2001....

In the next hundred drawer container, I could put the screws for XTR derailleurs, and the next hundred drawer container I could put the screws for LX...

Better yet, call up any shop mentioned on this thread, and ask for a screw for 1999 XT. See which shop has one in stock.

You probably have never worked in a shop before. You might need spare parts for your collection of bikes. I'm thinking about the spare parts for every road and mountain bike made in the last 15 years.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
sanjuro said:
Never thought of that one. I can have one drawer for Shimano XT derailleur screws 1990, one for 1992, one for 1996, one for 1999, one for 2001....

In the next hundred drawer container, I could put the screws for XTR derailleurs, and the next hundred drawer container I could put the screws for LX...

Better yet, call up any shop mentioned on this thread, and ask for a screw for 1999 XT. See which shop has one in stock.

You probably have never worked in a shop before. You might need spare parts for your collection of bikes. I'm thinking about the spare parts for every road and mountain bike made in the last 15 years.
You probably don't realize I was being a smart ass! :rolleyes:

Jun 18, 2004
bibs said:
Ya know, I just got back form the DHZ. I foind it really funny how you al bash them considering that they started the whole DH thing in hte Northest and went out on a limb and opened a shop 6 1/2 years ago!
Who do you call for advice when you've got your fork apart and your having trouble putting back together? how about when your re-routing your brake cables? I can't say that I've spent allot of $$$ there but I know where I will be buying my next Intense frame at... I know how the've treated friends of mine that can't afford these motor-cycle priced big hit bikes... (the've worked with them)... and all things considered I have nothing but good things to say about the DHZ... but I'm not loyal to 1 single shop... I support all of them w/in a 5mi radius of my place...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
sanjuro said:
My boss has an interesting theory to small parts: he doesn't stock them.

Now I know there will be a thousand flames to this post, but after explaining it to me, it makes good sense.

Lets say a customer comes in and wants a screw for PartX. Only a senior level employee would know where that screw might be. So he goes and spends 10 minutes to find a .59 screw which we sell for $1. If this employee makes $12, you have lost $1.41 on that transaction.

Now you might say it is good business to stock small parts. Then which ones should you stock? Campy screws? Shimano screws? Sram screws? Brake bolts? Derailleur bolts? Crank bolts? This list goes on and on.

We do have a small collection of parts, and I will spend 15 minutes looking for a missing screw if I think we have it. But stocking replacement small parts is very difficult.
I think small parts can be more general than that. Brake tubing, Pads, repair kits, cleats, bearings.... ect.... that little bolt that fell off your derailler.... good luck.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
No more posting on this thread from me...I can see alot of :monkey:'s are getting crabby! :D Oh, and because I get to go ride my bike now.

Jun 18, 2004
bibs said:
Ya know, I just got back form the DHZ. I foind it really funny how you al bash them considering that they started the whole DH thing in hte Northest and went out on a limb and opened a shop 6 1/2 years ago!
Who do you call for advice when you've got your fork apart and your having trouble putting back together? how about when your re-routing your brake cables? I can't say that I've spent allot of $$$ there but I know where I will be buying my next Intense frame at... I know how the've treated friends of mine that can't afford these motor-cycle priced big hit bikes... (the've worked with them)... and all things considered I have nothing but good things to say about the DHZ... but I'm not loyal to 1 single shop... I support all of them w/in a 5mi radius of my place...

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
bibs said:
awsome, I cant wait!!!
Did you see the new Decline mag? It hads teh gathering in it, on the opening page of the article it has carolyn and pual, and pual is looking away from Aaron Chase. Its funny :)
We have been trying to pic that one up, but can't find one anywhere! I think I saw it though (someone had it at PA)...where they are standing in the crowd at the Skatebarn.