Quantcast

What is great about America.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by ummbikes
It's rather presumptious to come in here and claim to have us pegged as whiners who are not active in atempting change.
Well gosh - I never would have thought that a general random post directed towards people in general would be such a personal affront to just monkies...especially since I tend to consider myself part of that particular "pack"...lol. Perhaps the fact that you take it so personally says something about the level of commitment and effort you put into whatever it is you consider "your" community, or feel you do. :)

For some people it's teaching soccer in the evenings, for others it's donating money. What I find in horribly poor taste are the saps that feel they have the right to complain about anything anytime without ever doing a damned thing to make whatever it is they are complaining about go away. I was simply using my small amount of donated time as an example of something I do, rather than whine.

And in response to "coming to terms with creeping imperialism, terrorism, stolen elections and other minor topics" a good discussion and debate in order to better understand the issue at hand and at large is always a good thing. And highly welcome, and not considered whining. It's whining when you feel such issues are a personal attack on your life and yet you do nothing about it, or whining when you complain about how horrible the roads are yet do nothing either at time of voting or in active participation with your community to make it better. If you are cognizant of the issues that exist on a global scale and at least act on a local scale to address those issues that directly affect your life rather than whining about them and expecting someone else to roll out the red carpet on your behalf.

And ehr...thanks Rhino...:)

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by Jr_Bullit
Perhaps the fact that you take it so personally says something about the level of commitment and effort you put into whatever it is you consider "your" community, or feel you do. :)

You don't know me or what I do. I'm at peace with my level of involvement.

Just to make it clear, not that my opinion matters, it is cool you are involved in trail access issues. Thank you.

I think it is great that anyone spends anytime at all away from the 'net of TV to be involved in working at changing anything.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by looseunit
Very true, At the other end of the scale other countries like Australia and New Zealand are at a major disadvantage with trading with USA despite being far more efficient in farming and agriculture. American government subsidies its own industries to protect jobs. This I believe has been happening with farming since the 1930s.
This is not true. The most productive, cost efficient agricultural industries reside in the US.

ADM RULES THE WORLD!

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
You don't know me or what I do. I'm at peace with my level of involvement.

Just to make it clear, not that my opinion matters, it is cool you are involved in trail access issues. Thank you.

I think it is great that anyone spends anytime at all away from the 'net of TV to be involved in working at changing anything.
I still don't understand why you're assuming my comments have anything to do with you, other than as a response to you. :) Or with anyone else on this forum. :D

Those who are involved, know they are, and thus have no need to rebut whatever I say about the hoi polloi of america in general. ;) If I recall...the political forum is not an area for personal attacks, or an area where one points fingers at other monkeys in regards to whatever their views are.

So sorry if that was misconveyed in everything I have said on here and you so strongly feel I was actively pulling you out of the crowd and shaking my finger atcha :nope:
:p

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
You know at the end of a particularly rigorous school term spent analyzing every word, dissecting every arguement and generally being super critical of everything? You know that feeling of burn out? I feel that.

If I missed your point it's due to mental fatigue.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The one thing that America has that many other countries lack is individual opportunity. Issues of racism and poverty, while significant in the past, are now so overused as to become meaningless.

Political views aside; we are a land of milk and honey that inspires jealousy, envy and hatred throughout the world.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Rhino, I knew you would jump in.

For that matter Rhino shame on you for questioning my "taste". :p

Jr. can more than handle herself I don't think she needs your protection.
If I am anything...I am predictable. :D

I respect your taste, but must question its validity :rolleyes: ;) She let everyone here know what she works toward as an example. Just thought it was crued to make fun of or lessen when we can be vague ourselves. :)

Not protecting her so much as adressing you...She is a big girl (actually she is a petite woman) and can speak for herself.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by N8

This is the greatest country in the entire history of mankind.
That's a bit steep!

Whaddabout Rome and Greece? Pretty major civilisations that might rate pretty highly on an overall historical scale.

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by fluff
That's a bit steep!

Whaddabout Rome and Greece? Pretty major civilisations that might rate pretty highly on an overall historical scale.
Don't forget China before the western barbarians learned to sail ships too! :)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by N8

This is the greatest country in the entire history of mankind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just makes you want to break into song, doesn't it?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
That's a bit steep!

they buggered each other & didn't have tampons.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
By traditional American standards we are the greatest nation, in a way these standards were developed as a celebration of itself. I am sure by Roman standards they were the greatest nation. By Soviet standards the USSR was the greatest. By Nazi standards Germany was the greatest. By my standards, I am the biggest baddest mofo around.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
That's a bit steep!

Those are civilizations not countries...

What countries can you compare to the USA? Maybe be 17th century Britian is a far-far distant second with Renaissance Italy a distant third. I argue the US is the greatest because of the well being and freedoms afforded to average citizens, for the stregnth of our military, for the wealth of our people, yes... we are the greatest country in the history of world.

No..?
:monkey:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
..plus you can post whatever you want on your car unlike this guy..

Man Faces Jail for Car Sticker

TEHRAN (Reuters) - An Iranian man faces a possible lengthy prison term or even the death penalty for attaching a sticker to the rear window of his car proclaiming "The era of arrogant rulers is over," his lawyer said Thursday.

"My client faces jail for acting against national security just because of that sticker," attorney Mohammad Ali Dadkhah told Reuters.

The charge of acting against national security normally carries a hefty prison sentence and in some cases has led to the death penalty being imposed.

Dadkhah said Ali Akbar Najafi, 27, an unlicensed taxi (news - web sites) driver, was arrested in June in southern Tehran. He said his client had thought up the slogan himself, but that it was not specifically aimed at Iran's clerical establishment.

"After being kept blindfolded in solitary confinement for 53 days he now suffers psychological problems," said Dadkhah, who was asked by Nobel Peace Prize laureate Shirin Ebadi, to represent Najafi.

Najafi was released on bail of $25,000 and ordered to appear before a branch of the Revolutionary Court on December 28.

His arrest in June coincided with a rash of pro-democracy protests during which around 4,000 people were arrested. The vast majority of them were released without charge.

When asked Wednesday whether Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) ought to receive the death penalty, Iran's President Mohammad Khatami (news - web sites) said: "If anyone is to be executed, the most appropriate person would be Saddam. But it don't want any human being, even a criminal, to be killed if there is an alternative."

Jr_Bullit

Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Originally posted by N8

What countries can you compare to the USA? Maybe be 17th century Britian is a far-far distant second with Renaissance Italy a distant third. I argue the US is the greatest because of the well being and freedoms afforded to average citizens, for the stregnth of our military, for the wealth of our people, yes... we are the greatest country in the history of world.

No..?
Why only compare the US to other nations that are similar to us? Isn't what makes a nation, or a society - which is truly what we are, we may be a nation defined by our borders and leaders, but we are also a culture and a socieity - isn't what makes a nation or society "great", or better than others, the amount of loyalty and fierce pride in their country/society/culture the hoi polloi have? I mean so what about "freedom" that's such an idealistic utopian ideal that to others may really not be as important as the culture in which they live. Leave it to the Americans to look down upon other cultures just because we have such a firm belief that we are better and they are not.

For example...what about tribal cultures? I mean yay for money, prosperity, and new toys and all that...but so what. In the end it all just means more stuff and has nothing to do with "greatness" greatness comes from the love of the citizens, not from the monetary wealth or even necessarily freedoms afforded to the people.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

For example...what about tribal cultures? I mean yay for money, prosperity, and new toys and all that...but so what. In the end it all just means more stuff and has nothing to do with "greatness" greatness comes from the love of the citizens, not from the monetary wealth or even necessarily freedoms afforded to the people.
What tribe are you suggesting that ranks..???

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by N8

No..?
That's even dumber than most of my posts...No...greece isn't a country. It's a musical with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John.

I wish I could find the link (damn you google), but the US has never ranked #1 in the UN's list of "great places to live".

Let's see.. what country has a few times....ummmm...hmm...oh yeah...CANA....Oh nevermind... it doesn't matter...

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Originally posted by MMike
That's even dumber than most of my posts...No...greece isn't a country. It's a musical with John Travolta and Olivia Newton John.

I wish I could find the link (damn you google), but the US has never ranked #1 in the UN's list of "great places to live".

Let's see.. what country has a few times....ummmm...hmm...oh yeah...CANA....Oh nevermind... it doesn't matter...
From a Canadian on the Newz Canada was voted #1 in the UN poll:
Cool! See what an injust, unequal, disgusting tax system will get you? I wonder what the UN will say when Canada goes into bankruptcy (not to be confused with the highest (second highest?) GDP debt load in the G7 that we have now). In 15 years 1/3 of the country will retire (the baby boomers) and we won't be able to pay for it through an absurd tax system because our taxation levels and debt loads are already maxed-out. God forbid you promote national economic well being & wealth creation to pay for high quality social programs.

Look forward to more complicated tax rules to hide additional taxation and an increased pay per use taxation scheme. I pity the (fool!) middle income earner with kids!
Item 2... the original poster was refering to Ancient Greece I'm sure, silly...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by N8
From a Canadian on the Newz Canada was voted #1 in the UN poll:

Item 2... the original poster was refering to Ancient Greece I'm sure, silly...
Um, as the original poster I feel it is my duty to point out that ancient Greece was actually a country. In fact it was an Empire for a while.

The same goes for Rome.

I was somewhat bemused by your comment that they were civilisations and not countries.

I don't mean to be patronising or condescending but perhaps you should check out some of what the Greeks and Romans achieved.

If you put them in context with any modern nation they look rather impressive.

looseunit

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
adelaide
This is not true. The most productive, cost efficient agricultural industries reside in the US.
Not all agriculture and farming in the US is the most productive and cost effient. Take the cattle and sheep, Australia and NZ are by far the most efficient country in the world. It is one of the main reason Australia want a free trade deal with the USA. When it comes to supporting free trade America supports it, but does not always act on it. Even in Australia import tariffs are still used to protect local business, but they are getting lower each year so that business become more competitive with imports.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001

If you put them in context with any modern nation they look rather impressive.
But it was easy back then. None of the easy stuff had been invented yet...Aquaduct....pffffft......today to impress people you have to invent a compressed cheese that comes in a can.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by MMike
But it was easy back then. None of the easy stuff had been invented yet...Aquaduct....pffffft......today to impress people you have to invent a compressed cheese that comes in a can.
Well, clearly that's why the empires crumbled.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
We don't eat a lot of muttin around here... :) but I have do some some New Zealand rack of lamb in my freezer...

Originally posted by looseunit
Not all agriculture and farming in the US is the most productive and cost effient. Take the cattle and sheep, Australia and NZ are by far the most efficient country in the world. It is one of the main reason Australia want a free trade deal with the USA. When it comes to supporting free trade America supports it, but does not always act on it. Even in Australia import tariffs are still used to protect local business, but they are getting lower each year so that business become more competitive with imports.

Hate to say it darlin,

Well Hon, considering the following diatribe, I would hate to see something you didn't hate to say. But don't let me intterupt, please continue.

but most of us pay our taxes, just as most of us here vote, and work a regular nine to five, and if that's considered giving back to the community, well then that's just dandy.

I consider it the least I can do. But yes, that is giving back. Please, go on.

Now granted, not many people own a business, and props to you for being a good ole fashioned capitalist (my favorite kind of person, because what is life without money?),

Pretty poor substitute for Life with money.

as for having employees, well that goes both ways. Chances are your business wouldn't be successful without their help, and chances are they could have work elsewhere too.

Absolutely. Wow, nothing gets by you, does it? My employees are the most important asset I have.

I'm very happy however you feel so strongly you carry your weight well. Most people are quite satisfied to sit at home on their arse in the evenings flicking through tv channels and whining that their government isn't doing enough for them, that the roads aren't good enough, the health care isn't good enough, the cops are corrupt, and damnit why can't they run high speed internet to my house???

Watch out, gettin a tad whiney.

But since you're different from the majority well then whine away. Me? If I'm gonna whine about my government, usually I'm willing to roll up my sleeves and go do what I need to to help fix what I can in regards to the area in which I whine.

Again, you seem to assume facts about me not in evidence.

Usually for me it's bike related, trail access related, and yep - I sure as heck work my li'l bunsies off trying to get trails that'll stick around and not get torn up.

Well, good for you.

As for the problems of the world that no one bloody cares about, well I don't really care - but in that particular instance I don't know that i was responding to you directly, seeing as I don't know you don't know your problems and quite frankly could give a rats ass unless I did know you.

To know me is to love me. At least in my mind it is.

However, most people within this great country of ours assume that everyone else needs to know their problems, and should pity them for their problems irregardless of how their problems match up against the other person's or whatever. We've all got issues, problems, areas to whine about. The best among us, however, are those who keep them to themselves and put up with others who need to whine about theirs.

Previously in this post, I was not of the majority. Now I am. Please, make up your mind. I can't stand not knowing where I belong.

Now then, considering the fact that you chose to make my statement a personal attack upon yourself says plenty about whether or not you whine on a regular basis to people who probably really and truly could care less about you.

Says all that does it? I'm impressed. I seem to remember you fired the first shot across my bow. I chose to give as good as I got

I was referring to people in general,if you fall in the category, well then good for you. If your proud of being in that category, well gosh, that's even better.

You should have been less specific, and not told me to get off my ass.

What ever happened to the strong silent type of people who kept their problems to themselves or to their families and dealt with them on their own while still doing what they could to make their community a better place?

I think John Wayne and Bogie have left the building. Clint might still be around. After we're done here, I'll let him know you were asking about him.

Oh yeah, I forgot, the baby boomers managed to make that breed of people an endangered species with all their shrinks and psychotherapists and problems and inability to take responsibility for their part in creating their own damned problems and the desire to let the next guy fix whatever it is that ails them.

Because I am a whiner, I know whining when I see it And that statement is perilously close.

If you've got an issue that isn't directly pointed at you but at your community in general, go get involved with your local gov't and fix it. (strange concept, I know).
I'd say we got off on the wrong foot. Done it before and I will most likely do it again. Let me make myself clear. You know nothing of me and what I do and don't do in between my bouts of whining. You know only that which I choose to let you know. As I know about you, only what you choose to divulge. So far, it would seem we have more in common than most cyberspace strangers. Bicycles, trails, and an apparent need to voice an opinion. So, let's work on the positives and forget the stupidity of reading more into each other's post than is there. I think that's fair. How about you? Besides, I have to get back to some serious whining.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
My personal definition of "great country" is one that not only prospers itself economically and culturally, but positively impacts the economies and culture outside it's borders. In that regard, IMO the US is tops. One might argue that Spain and Brittian at the height of their respective empires compare, however the citizenry of India and Mexico of that time might beg to differ.

Besides, we have the Simpsons, and we made hockey profitable.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Cool i'm gonna use your list as a template.....

Originally posted by BurlySurly
Things I like about America include, but are not limited to:

Hot Blondes-Variety of hotties
Bacon-Sausage Patty
Silicon Breasts-Real boobs
Big Trucks-Work Trucks
Red Meat-Venison
Rock and Roll-Yup
Britney Spears-Salma Hyak
Ultimate Cheeseburgers from Jack in the Box-Jumbo Jacks
NFL football-MLB
College football-NFL football (at least there's a real champion)
Bass Boats-hoggin a 2 man floater
Chainsaws-Hard ass work no thanks
Man-made lakes-Real lakes in the sticks
Smith and Wesson-Squirt Guns
Paris Hilton-Porn in higher video resolution quality
Hatchets-Chainsaw
Nachos Bel Grande-Taqueria Guaymas
Mountain Dew-DNL
Wolverine Work Boots-Overrated but it's what i'm usin now
Fire Trucks-Hottie girly emt's
Cheerleaders-Hottie garb to be stripped from a girly in my casa
ESPN-Yup
Jeep-Mt. bike
Waffle House-Sure sounds good
Subway-Sub Shop
Pork Products in general-meat products in general
WW2 documentaries-WW2 Medal of Honor game
Supercross-Jimmy Superfly Snuka
Casinos-Movie Theater
Fly fishing-Hiking
Thanksgiving Dinner-Yah.....
Internet Porn- Being a porn star to your queen
Roadkill-That free cat picture Damn True posted haha
M1A1 Abrams battle tanks-Overloaded dump trucks in heavy traffic
Littering-Only in yuppie parts of metropolis
Victoria's Secret Commercials-stupid R.M. commercials asking you to pick which one is papa smurf
Victoria's Secret Catalogue-Perfect 10
Dick Butkus-Steve Largeant (yah it's hard to be a Hawks fan)
Chili Cheese Fries-Steak Fries
Pam Anderson-Salma Hyak
Bacon-Ok ok make it maple flavored
America is a beautiful wonderful land, it's my home.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've learned a few things in this forum lately.

1 - burly surly's love of pam anderson and silicon breasts is not surprising. (btw, isn't she canadian, not american?)

2 - N8 is a tool

3 - crum is a good addition to the monkey

back on topic, i haven't been in the US since may, and i really don't see myself returning until i have to.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by narlus
back on topic, i haven't been in the US since may, and i really don't see myself returning until i have to.
heh, it's the tv isn't it? :eek: :devil:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
LOL! you caught the hcor post i see.
But do you get Seinfeld? I couldn't live w/out it.

Long nipples, ewwwwww.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i've learned a few things in this forum lately.

2 - N8 is a tool

agreed, except i d go so far as to say that n8 is a COMPLETE TOOL... 'america is the greatest country in the history of civilization'... god... is your head that far up your a$$??? that is scary from a guy who has 'lived' (i use the term loosely here) in 3 other countries...

sure america is good... but it s no better than alot of places i ve lived... as for the concept of freedom, it s an ideal that you guys get a little too carried away with.... it s no more free that 90% of the western world...

how free is it when i can t go out and have a beer without carrying ID ?$#^@%&

i m in no rush to get back either narlus... europe is fine by me...

parts

dickiesbike1

Monkey
Jun 17, 2002
NC
Whats so great? I can get a speeding ticket for doing 34 mph over the speedlimit and have a chance of getting it thrown out completely. GOD BLESS AMERICA!:D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by stevew
But do you get Seinfeld? I couldn't live w/out it.

Long nipples, ewwwwww.
they were like little nematodes...

_friends_ and _the simpsons_ are on constantly, sometimes you get crap like _survivor_ and _fear factor_ too. haven't seen _seinfeld_ since i got here. :(